Same Sex Dorms: Violation of Human Rights?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

That's what George Washington University Law Professor, John Banzhaf, said in an interview Sunday with Fox News about his intent to sue Catholic University of America President John Garvey for requiring all dormitories to be single-sex.

Starting this fall, CUA's housing system will reinstate an old policy of gender-segregated dorms. In a Wall Street Journal article, Garvey stressed the need to return to Catholic values, saying the change would work to reduce binge drinking and promiscuous sex.

Fox News contributor Father John Morris told Banzhaf he agrees with the CUA position. "It is not only about teaching the faith, it is not only about being an excellent academic institution, but creating a culture in which our students become mature, smart properly formed Catholics," Morris said.

But Banzhaf maintained that Garvey's decision was not motivated by Catholic values but purely for secular reasons. Claiming the switch back to same-sex dorms ultimately violates human rights

Read more: Catholic University Faces Lawsuit over Same-sex Dorms - FoxNews.com

How would a professor from GWA have legal standing in a suit against CUA?

Predictions?

I'd like to see how Banzhaf makes the logic leap to human rights violation. CUA isn't denying housing accomidations based on gender to anyone, rather, they're denying co-ed housing to everyone.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

That's what George Washington University Law Professor, John Banzhaf, said in an interview Sunday with Fox News about his intent to sue Catholic University of America President John Garvey for requiring all dormitories to be single-sex.

Starting this fall, CUA's housing system will reinstate an old policy of gender-segregated dorms. In a Wall Street Journal article, Garvey stressed the need to return to Catholic values, saying the change would work to reduce binge drinking and promiscuous sex.

Fox News contributor Father John Morris told Banzhaf he agrees with the CUA position. "It is not only about teaching the faith, it is not only about being an excellent academic institution, but creating a culture in which our students become mature, smart properly formed Catholics," Morris said.

But Banzhaf maintained that Garvey's decision was not motivated by Catholic values but purely for secular reasons. Claiming the switch back to same-sex dorms ultimately violates human rights

Read more: Catholic University Faces Lawsuit over Same-sex Dorms - FoxNews.com

How would a professor from GWA have legal standing in a suit against CUA?

Predictions?

As a private university are they even held to government standards when taking in applicants and giving them housing?

Young men should be able to have sex with hot co eds in their dorm room, thats a god given right!

They still can, they just won't be in the same building or floor.

Plus forcing them to sneak around to get in the girls dorm/get the girl into thier dorm builds character. Its part of the tradition.

Young men should be able to have sex with hot co eds in their dorm room, thats a god given right!

They still can, they just won't be in the same building or floor.

Plus forcing them to sneak around to get in the girls dorm/get the girl into thier dorm builds character. Its part of the tradition.

LOL! We had co-ed dorms in the Military and it was so easy to get laid, I can't even describe it.:razz:

Ha ha. Fordham has same sex dorms and they say its the "cheapest motel room in NYC".

But seriously...Not only is this a Catholic college, who the hell cares? I'm sure there are public schools that do the same. It sounds like a personal vendetta. Bet he applied for a job there. Hmmm.

Ha ha. Fordham has same sex dorms and they say its the "cheapest motel room in NYC".

But seriously...Not only is this a Catholic college, who the hell cares? I'm sure there are public schools that do the same. It sounds like a personal vendetta. Bet he applied for a job there. Hmmm.

or turned down

Good. I would have been more than happy with that policy where I went to school. Then again I chose to live on a "Wellness" floor in my dorm (no tobacco, no booze, quiet hours after 9pm, zero tolerance policy, etc...)

I am not in favor of coed dorms. Getting laid these days is easier than getting a drink of water somewhere. In the meantime, with coed dorms, you have to put up with, well . . . let's just say I am not in favor of coed dorms. Never have been.

What the fuck?

Next someone will claim that same-sex dorms discriminate against straight people...the lesbians will have an easier time getting laid...and the guys are missing out because of curfews and gender restrictions.

:cuckoo:

Last edited:

You went to Fordam??? Grrr...

As a proud jasper, (if you went to fordam), all I have to say is your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries...

If you didnt go to Fordam... sorry , my bad.

Ha ha. No - not a Fordham gad. Just did a tour with the kid. But come to think of it - my dad did smell a bit like elderberries. He grew up in the Bronx. Lol

George - I understand that any loony can file a lawsuit, but this professor is from George Washington Law School. He's not just a horny co-ed. What do you think his motivation is?

How many do they house? Two? :cuckoo:

Completely eliminating coeducational dorms would violate the District of Columbia’s Human Rights Act, says John F. Banzhaf, a law professor at George Washington University who is known for public interest suits of this nature. That statute prohibits discrimination in employment, housing and commercial space, and public accommodations on the basis of sex and other factors like race, religion and marital status.

Banzhaf likens Catholic’s move to a “separate but equal” scenario. “Suppose a university decided that there would be less racial tension if all the blacks were in a black dorm, all the whites were in a white dorm,” Banzhaf said. “Each one is, quote, getting their own dormitory, and maybe some of them would be happier that way. But surely no one would suggest that it’s lawful.” The statute does not require that a certain population be disadvantaged for an action to be illegal; the simple act of segregating the genders is enough, Banzhaf said.

News: Moral, but Lawful? - Inside Higher Ed

What a waste of money. Sheez.

Aren't there same sex schools?

How many do they house? Two? :cuckoo:

Completely eliminating coeducational dorms would violate the District of Columbia’s Human Rights Act, says John F. Banzhaf, a law professor at George Washington University who is known for public interest suits of this nature. That statute prohibits discrimination in employment, housing and commercial space, and public accommodations on the basis of sex and other factors like race, religion and marital status.

Banzhaf likens Catholic’s move to a “separate but equal” scenario. “Suppose a university decided that there would be less racial tension if all the blacks were in a black dorm, all the whites were in a white dorm,” Banzhaf said. “Each one is, quote, getting their own dormitory, and maybe some of them would be happier that way. But surely no one would suggest that it’s lawful.” The statute does not require that a certain population be disadvantaged for an action to be illegal; the simple act of segregating the genders is enough, Banzhaf said.

News: Moral, but Lawful? - Inside Higher Ed

What a waste of money. Sheez.

Aren't there same sex schools?

and same sexed gyms, and clubs, etc. The issue appears to be with a specific law in DC, not with US law in general.

Best thing to do would be for congress to fix the law in question to clarify.

by the way, here is the guy in question. Seems like a real winner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Banzhaf_III

Last edited:
Now I think conservatives are gaining credence when they say that liberal America will be the end of their values...

George - I understand that any loony can file a lawsuit, but this professor is from George Washington Law School. He's not just a horny co-ed. What do you think his motivation is?

Looks to me like he is a frustrated ACLU wannabe. He said as much - that, in his opinion, it violates human rights.

Forum List

Back