Salt Plate

o i can tell ya ice..there is a doc coming out on how the sherpas are treated...they are thinking up a way to get more money for what they do...for climbers..that is what they are thinking up

As well they should

None of those people would ever make it even half way up Everest without them

I have to say my wife got me a cool gift this year totally surprised me.

Now I have to admit I am horribly difficult to buy for but as you know I love to cook and if I do say so myself I'm a pretty good cook.

I know I would never buy kitchen or cooking tools for another cook as we all have our idiosyncrasies and weird personal preferences but my wife hit a home run with this

100714-195128_Lg.jpg

It's an 8 by 12 by 2 in thick tile of Himalayan salt that you heat up and use to sear fish, steak and veggies you can even heat it up and cook at the table to really wow your guests

But wait there's more

You can cool it and use it to serves sashimi and other foods

And you can freeze it and use it to make ice creams and other sweet savory desserts

himalayan-salt-plate-cook-your-food-on-a-slab-of-salt-2.jpg

himalayan-salt-block-with-sushi.jpg

parmesan-ice-cream.jpg

I already used mine to make scallops and tuna steaks

The tile imparts a wonderful salty and mineral flavor to the food

VERY COOL GIFT!

I've been considering one of those myself.
Be sure and give us a review after some use.

everest is one of my freaky fascinations.....i follow anything written, filmed etc on it.....

the climbing guides are ruining the mountain ...fucking base camp is a small city

pizza.....o good one rosie.....flat breads would be quick take longer to heat the block than cook the food....

i bet i could use it on top of the wood stove.....now anything i can use to cook when the electric goes off is worth it.....

learn a lot in skull's threads

too much------now I have a BURNING DESIRE to construct a salt block---for cooking
purposes. -------I intend to use "kosher salt"-------and I want it to be pretty. The salt lick recipes include BONE MEAL ----which is fine-----I can get that in the health
food stores. -----------for my "cheater" salt block-----SORRY TIBET-----I will donate
to the DALAI LAMA. I want to make it a color----tinted a bit

skull we dont mean to be such magpies...its a lovely gift and thoughtful......

alas you know us....it must be dissected now....we must find a deal or figure out how to make it.....
you really need a better class of posters lol

I didn't read all the replies so I ask now. We used to visit a restaurant called "Stake on a Stone." Then would bring this ragingly hot stone, looked like a brick, to your plate and a piece of meat of your choice. You then proceeded to cook the meat to taste. The put salt on the blocks so I don't think they were what you were talking about. But could this be used the same or does someone know where I find the blocks used at the restaurant?

I didn't read all the replies so I ask now. We used to visit a restaurant called "Stake on a Stone." Then would bring this ragingly hot stone, looked like a brick, to your plate and a piece of meat of your choice. You then proceeded to cook the meat to taste. The put salt on the blocks so I don't think they were what you were talking about. But could this be used the same or does someone know where I find the blocks used at the restaurant?

I think a commercial pizza stone would work-------putting salt on an iron
pan-----is an time worn steak cooking technique. Heat up the cast iron
pan-----throw salt in ( 'kosher" ie coarse, of course) and pop the steak
in---------hot rock at the table is impressive-----but observe all precautions
if children are present------or dippy blonds. I attended a festive supper
and some jerkess stuck her hand into the sterno under the chafing dish

I am surprised they have not be sued out of business. I asked at every visit how they heated the stones and they wouldn't tell me, seems kinda obvious but I would like to know.

I am surprised they have not be sued out of business. I asked at every visit how they heated the stones and they wouldn't tell me, seems kinda obvious but I would like to know.

hot stones are heated with heat--------in an oven -----or on a range. ---------the use of the fireplace is out of vogue-----in the distant past------one finds dry wood and some very dry fallen leaves-------and manages to create friction heat upon the dry wood
with another piece of very dry hardwood------and light up the dry leaves and attempt
to keep the fire alive with dry wood slips (called "kindling"). If you have a magnifying glass-------you might try getting a fire on some dry wood, paper
or leaves by focusing sun light--------even a mirror or a convex shiny metal thing
could do it. ASK PROMETHEUS. -----don't ask Smokey the bear

Forum List

Back