Salt Plate

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I have to say my wife got me a cool gift this year totally surprised me.

Now I have to admit I am horribly difficult to buy for but as you know I love to cook and if I do say so myself I'm a pretty good cook.

I know I would never buy kitchen or cooking tools for another cook as we all have our idiosyncrasies and weird personal preferences but my wife hit a home run with this

100714-195128_Lg.jpg

It's an 8 by 12 by 2 in thick tile of Himalayan salt that you heat up and use to sear fish, steak and veggies you can even heat it up and cook at the table to really wow your guests

But wait there's more

You can cool it and use it to serves sashimi and other foods

And you can freeze it and use it to make ice creams and other sweet savory desserts

himalayan-salt-plate-cook-your-food-on-a-slab-of-salt-2.jpg

himalayan-salt-block-with-sushi.jpg

parmesan-ice-cream.jpg

I already used mine to make scallops and tuna steaks

The tile imparts a wonderful salty and mineral flavor to the food

VERY COOL GIFT!

lol@dishwasher safe.....

a friend got one last year and loves it.....she got him a pink one....said it wasnt that pricey on the net....

great personal gift...

lol@dishwasher safe.....

a friend got one last year and loves it.....she got him a pink one....said it wasnt that pricey on the net....

great personal gift...

ok you guess my REAL concern------DOES IT LAST as a useful item for a LONG TIME--------when one uses it to COOK upon---clearly it would erode (????)
I would be inclined to wrap the pretty thing in clear kling-------and sit a doll atop
it

the blocks are really thick and i have no clue....lets go to our friend google.....

no real answer...depend on the block and if it cracks

How long a salt block last purely depends on how well you take care of it and luck. This articleexplains proper heating and washing techniques. Because these blocks are naturally carved out of the earth, fault lines(sometimes not visible from the outside or even with the human eyes) can exist on it. These fault lines will naturally grow bigger as the block is continuously heated to high temperatures. Because of this unpredictability, there isn't a "real" answer. However some can crack after just several uses(on one testimonial, one woman claimed it broke after two uses. But she was able to get it replaces for free) while other can last much much longer(others have report using it for over a year). Usually you can get a replacement if the block cracks in a short period of time. Find out about this warranty period from the supplier before buying.

How many times can I use a salt block?

okay skull.....do you think this is a novelty item or something you will continue to use and perhaps replace when the block cracks....or is it too early to ask

I am googling HOME MADE salt block--------coming up with some useful as salt licks for wild life .............. I want to make one for MY KITCHEN------uhm-----jazzed
up with beet juice. The salt lick kind include-----clay------which I do not wish to eat---
I am past child-bearing (((??)))-----maybe potato starch would work------???

lol@dishwasher safe.....

great personal gift...

ok you guess my REAL concern------DOES IT LAST as a useful item for a LONG TIME--------when one uses it to COOK upon---clearly it would erode (????)
I would be inclined to wrap the pretty thing in clear kling-------and sit a doll atop
it

The pate will last for some time hundreds of uses I'm told

But even then it can be used

You can break it into pieces and use a microplane and use the finely grated salt to finish a dish

Some people even add the salt to a bath for a mineral soak

It is 100% useable

yea i got the fill of salt blocks for deer etc......

i am not sure.....does it work on a stove or oven or just a grill?

I used mine on a gas stove you can use an oven to heat itup the trick is to start very slowly and increase the heat gradually

You can use it on an electric stove but you have to elevate the plate off the electric burner with a wok ring or something similar

okay you are all about it right now.....i wonder how much you will be in a month or so.....just being well me......i think it will be interesting to cook on....what i am reading says it will do a wide range of things.....basically keep it dry and rest it for 24 hours .....seems pretty low care

okay you are all about it right now.....i wonder how much you will be in a month or so.....just being well me......i think it will be interesting to cook on....what i am reading says it will do a wide range of things.....basically keep it dry and rest it for 24 hours .....seems pretty low care

Yeah it's cool and a lot of fun

But the devil is in the details in this case the taste

I have to say the scallops and tuna I made were very good with a subtly different taste from my usual sear on a cast iron griddle

o now i had not given it that much thought.....no more cast iron.....that works for me....i hate cleaning cast iron....and yes people you do need to clean it on occasion....or you have lingering food tastes....

grumpy loves scallops and tuna....perfect for a medium rare steak.....but i will wait to see if the novelty wears off and i am a caution buyer....and eater...but says very little salt taste....if you want that to buy a salt to shake in it....

now skull.....did i read that you are a trump supporter? or is that just a crazy thought?

o now i had not given it that much thought.....no more cast iron.....that works for me....i hate cleaning cast iron....and yes people you do need to clean it on occasion....or you have lingering food tastes....

grumpy loves scallops and tuna....perfect for a medium rare steak.....but i will wait to see if the novelty wears off and i am a caution buyer....and eater...but says very little salt taste....if you want that to buy a salt to shake in it....

now skull.....did i read that you are a trump supporter? or is that just a crazy thought?

Where did you read that?

I'm not supporting any politician I never do

o i can tell ya ice..there is a doc coming out on how the sherpas are treated...they are thinking up a way to get more money for what they do...for climbers..that is what they are thinking up

Forum List

Back