Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory

Obviously, anyone who gets between me and my salt are going to have issues with me. Thems fightin' acts.

Sodium isn't required in the absurd amounts in which it's included in prepared and processed foods.

Add your own if you want (not that you should) but I shouldn't have to forego buying something because a single serving has over 700 mg of salt. No?

I'm not talking about 'O sodium'. Neither is anyone else near as I can tell, so I'm not quite sure why you're arguing against something that no one is proposing. Isn't there a middle ground between zero and what's done now?

The middle ground as you call it is called choice.

If you don't want to eat food with a lot of salt in it then don't.

What any individual eats, drinks or whatever is none of your business is it?

It certainly is none of the fucking government's business.

Whether or not you are a salt lover with low blood pressure like si modo and myself, do people really understand how much new regs like this cost? We are in a recession folks. These manufacturers don't need more government bullshit to deal with. Compliance will cost billions and will be passed down to the consumer whether in the form of a "salt tax" or just one of those hidden taxes politicians love.

And on a side note; with the health nazis dictating how we can all live to be a hundred, how the hell will SS and Medicare handle it? Personally, I don't want to live to be 100. You're welcome future grandkids. Lol

Excellent. I intend to, and will gladly collect the SS checks that your children's work will provide me.

Salt? A matter of personal metabolism and taste. I really don't like oversalted food. Never add salt to the food that I cook.

Obviously, anyone who gets between me and my salt are going to have issues with me. Thems fightin' acts.

Sodium isn't required in the absurd amounts in which it's included in prepared and processed foods.

Add your own if you want (not that you should) but I shouldn't have to forego buying something because a single serving has over 700 mg of salt. No?

I'm not talking about 'O sodium'. Neither is anyone else near as I can tell, so I'm not quite sure why you're arguing against something that no one is proposing. Isn't there a middle ground between zero and what's done now?

The middle ground as you call it is called choice.

If you don't want to eat food with a lot of salt in it then don't.

What any individual eats, drinks or whatever is none of your business is it?

It certainly is none of the fucking government's business.

Well, yes, it is the goverment's business, at least in the labeling. All too many foods are oversalted for people like my wife that must avoid too much salt for medical reasons.

Non-issue. If the prepared meal is not salty enough for you, add salt.

Next.
I agree. You can always add more salt but you can't remove what is already there.

Some people will whine about anything. I take them with a grain of salt.

So, why don't we leave the responsibility to the individual? Jillian, is there any limit that you think should be placed on the government? Any?

Because the "individual" doesn't do the manufacturing. And companies don't do things unless compelled to.

Why is it that the same people who are afraid that someone requires manufacturers to put in sane amounts of salt in food wouldn't think twice about telling someone else what to do with their own bodies or in their own bedrooms?

Why is it you think you should be telling manufacturers what to put in foods from the sanctity of your own bedroom?

Pot meet kettle.

So, why don't we leave the responsibility to the individual? Jillian, is there any limit that you think should be placed on the government? Any?

Because the "individual" doesn't do the manufacturing. And companies don't do things unless compelled to.

Why is it that the same people who are afraid that someone requires manufacturers to put in sane amounts of salt in food wouldn't think twice about telling someone else what to do with their own bodies or in their own bedrooms?

The individual does do the buying. Packaged foods have sodium content on the label - and there are plenty of no or low sodium alternatives.

Why should we have to force everyone into a one size fits all set of products just because some government drone thinks it's a good idea?

This thread is back eh?

Its not the governments job to tell me what I can and can not eat. Thats MY job.

I suppose people who like the government banning salt also liked the government banning interracial marriage (had to use that argument after the other thread :))

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when we all just get tickets to redeem our weekly packages of government supplied Soylent. It'll be great to have all that extra time when we no longer have to be bothered with making restaurant reservations, grocery shopping, and cooking.

Last edited:

The individual does do the buying. Packaged foods have sodium content on the label - and there are plenty of no or low sodium alternatives.

Why should we have to force everyone into a one size fits all set of products just because some government drone thinks it's a good idea?

Why should we have to force everyone into a one size fits all set of products just because some manufacturer's drone thinks it's a good idea?

The government is representing the consumer's best interests here. For once.

Why should we have to force everyone into a one size fits all set of products just because some manufacturer's drone thinks it's a good idea?

Nobody forces you to buy those products. One thing we do not lack (currently) is a wide variety of consumer products. Anyone who wishes to purchase no or low sodium items can already find them. It's a bit much to force those choices on those who do not desire to consume them.

So the government mandating the amount of certain ingredients in our food is not making it "one size fits all" in your opinion.

I'm sorry but this post of yours sounds completely ludicris.

I'll keep my choice uncle sam, after all it is my body that your trying to regulate.

Last edited:

So the government mandating the amount of certain ingredients in our food is not making it "one size fits all" in your opinion.

I'll keep my choice uncle sam, after all it is my body that your trying to regulate.
It's not one size fits all when anyone can add more salt if they want but no one can remove what is already added.
I suppose you think it's ludicrous that the government mandates just how much insect and rodent feces are permissible in chocolate.

Last edited:

It's not one size fits all when anyone can add more salt if they want but no one can remove what is already added.
I suppose you think it's ludicrous that the government mandates just how much insect and rodent feces are permissible in chocolate.

Hello red herring, nice to meet you.

The U.S. food industry may face federal sodium restrictions if it doesn’t move on its own to make packaged meals less salty, said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Substantial changes” in food production are needed to improve Americans’ health by reducing salt consumption, Frieden, who previously headed New York City’s health department, said in an editorial published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine. A voluntary reduction of salt by food manufacturers would lower consumption more than a mandatory tax on salt in packaged foods, according to a study in the same journal that Frieden cited.

Levying a “sodium tax” could decrease U.S. sodium consumption by 6 percent and save $22.4 billion in medical costs, the study found. No country has imposed such a tax, according to the report.

“After tobacco control, the most cost-effective intervention to control chronic diseases might be reduction of sodium intake,” Frieden said in the editorial, written with Peter Briss, the CDC’s acting associate director for science.

Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory, CDC Chief Says - BusinessWeek

There is some controversy over whether sodium really is as harmful as they say. Could this be another "Big Daddy Gubmint" boondoggle like Warmergate?

The desire for government to expand its power and control over the individual is a never ending quest -which is why the founders warned that unless a people stayed on constant alert, tyranny would replace our system in spite of their attempts to prevent it from re-establishig itself here. Tyranny enters in the name of SAVING people -from themselves. Because those IN government will always claim THEY know far better how to run YOUR life than you do.

Those of you who think they need a nanny to save themselves from themselves call 1-800-DIAPER-ME. But the rest of us consider ourselves adults fully capable of running our own lives.

Last edited:
This thread is back eh?

Its not the governments job to tell me what I can and can not eat. Thats MY job.

I suppose people who like the government banning salt also liked the government banning interracial marriage (had to use that argument after the other thread :))

Nobody's telling you what you can and can't eat. Don't like the amount of salt in a food? Go buy some, and add as much as you like.

Nobody is making you buy prepackaged foods, either.

It comes down to nothing more than reading the label - if you don't like what it says, put it down, and pick up another product. You're still 100% in control of what goes in to your body.

This thread is back eh?

Nobody's telling you what you can and can't eat. Don't like the amount of salt in a food? Go buy some, and add as much as you like.

Nobody is making you buy prepackaged foods, either.

It comes down to nothing more than reading the label - if you don't like what it says, put it down, and pick up another product. You're still 100% in control of what goes in to your body.

All true, which is why there is no reason for 'mandates,' from government.

Forum List

Back