Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The U.S. food industry may face federal sodium restrictions if it doesn’t move on its own to make packaged meals less salty, said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Substantial changes” in food production are needed to improve Americans’ health by reducing salt consumption, Frieden, who previously headed New York City’s health department, said in an editorial published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine. A voluntary reduction of salt by food manufacturers would lower consumption more than a mandatory tax on salt in packaged foods, according to a study in the same journal that Frieden cited.

Levying a “sodium tax” could decrease U.S. sodium consumption by 6 percent and save $22.4 billion in medical costs, the study found. No country has imposed such a tax, according to the report.

“After tobacco control, the most cost-effective intervention to control chronic diseases might be reduction of sodium intake,” Frieden said in the editorial, written with Peter Briss, the CDC’s acting associate director for science.

Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory, CDC Chief Says - BusinessWeek

There is some controversy over whether sodium really is as harmful as they say. Could this be another "Big Daddy Gubmint" boondoggle like Warmergate?

Sodium is required for proper functioning of our cells, especially neurons.

Personally, I consume more salt than most I know. I have no problems with blood pressure or edema. I am not unique, either.

Anyway, this sort of crap pisses me off, especially now. I just spent a good part of the weekend in the damn hospital and the default menu they give new patients is the fucking ZERO sodium diet. So, after being in the ER since 5 PM the day before and going through admissions, tests, etc. and being up all freakin' night because of that, the first meal I get is breakfast. I'm sorta hungry, too, when it gets there. It's scrambled eggs and grits with not a single grain of salt anywhere on the tray!!!

Who the hell can eat either of those things without any salt?

And, they had all the bloodwork on me that indicated there was no fucking reason for me to BE on the sodium free diet.

Now, here's the best part: The nurses knew that there was no reason for a zero-sodium diet; the ER MD knew there was no reason for me to be on a zero-sodium diet, but they could not override this default diet for me until the floor MD got there. She got there at 2 PM so I had to have a freakin' salt free lunch!

So, the nurses were kind enough to make me portable and I dragged my IV and my butt down to the basement to buy something in the cafeteria. While there, I grabbed a handful of salt packets in case the bureaucracy didn't get my diet straightend out for dinner. Contraband! You bet your ass I bought a bag of Lays, too. :lol:

[/end salt rant]

Now, more specifically on the topic. I wonder where the Constitution allows for there to be Federal food police? This is none of their fucking business.

The intrusions just keep coming.

i am not a big salt person....we dont use much salt and i dont put a salt shaker on the table..that cuts down a lot of salt use....i think salt is bad for ya...if you are sensitive to it...its like anything else...some people it never worries..others it does....

and what the hell are they gonna tax salt shakers now?

Sodium is required for proper functioning of our cells, especially neurons.

Personally, I consume more salt than most I know. I have no problems with blood pressure or edema. I am not unique, either.

Anyway, this sort of crap pisses me off, especially now. I just spent a good part of the weekend in the damn hospital and the default menu they give new patients is the fucking ZERO sodium diet. So, after being in the ER since 5 PM the day before and going through admissions, tests, etc. and being up all freakin' night because of that, the first meal I get is breakfast. I'm sorta hungry, too, when it gets there. It's scrambled eggs and grits with not a single grain of salt anywhere on the tray!!!

Who the hell can eat either of those things without any salt?

And, they had all the bloodwork on me that indicated there was no fucking reason for me to BE on the sodium free diet.

Now, here's the best part: The nurses knew that there was no reason for a zero-sodium diet; the ER MD knew there was no reason for me to be on a zero-sodium diet, but they could not override this default diet for me until the floor MD got there. She got there at 2 PM so I had to have a freakin' salt free lunch!

So, the nurses were kind enough to make me portable and I dragged my IV and my butt down to the basement to buy something in the cafeteria. While there, I grabbed a handful of salt packets in case the bureaucracy didn't get my diet straightend out for dinner. Contraband! You bet your ass I bought a bag of Lays, too. :lol:

[/end salt rant]

Now, more specifically on the topic. I wonder where the Constitution allows for there to be Federal food police? This is none of their fucking business.

The intrusions just keep coming.

You go girl.

This is what we can expect from Obamacare. To cut costs he's gonna tell us how to eat and how to live....just so's he can cut costs.

Cocksucker

i am not a big salt person....we dont use much salt and i dont put a salt shaker on the table..that cuts down a lot of salt use....i think salt is bad for ya...if you are sensitive to it...its like anything else...some people it never worries..others it does....

When you're exerting yourself and sweating alot you need salt to keep from cramping.

Seems to be an overreaction to me.

Obviously, anyone who gets between me and my salt are going to have issues with me. Thems fightin' acts.

Sodium isn't required in the absurd amounts in which it's included in prepared and processed foods.

Add your own if you want (not that you should) but I shouldn't have to forego buying something because a single serving has over 700 mg of salt. No?

I'm not talking about 'O sodium'. Neither is anyone else near as I can tell, so I'm not quite sure why you're arguing against something that no one is proposing. Isn't there a middle ground between zero and what's done now?

Obviously, anyone who gets between me and my salt are going to have issues with me. Thems fightin' acts.

Sodium isn't required in the absurd amounts in which it's included in prepared and processed foods. ....
I happen to require a lot of salt. I never buy the low-sodium version of foods (broth, soup, V8 juice, etc.). Never.

.... Add your own if you want (not that you should) ....
Actually, I should as I need a lot of salt.
.... but I shouldn't have to forego buying something because a single serving has over 700 mg of salt. No?

I'm not talking about 'O sodium'. Neither is anyone else near as I can tell, so I'm not quite sure why you're arguing against something that no one is proposing. Isn't there a middle ground between zero and what's done now?
Then don't buy those foods. I don't buy the low-sodium foods. See how simple that is?

Last edited:

Sodium isn't required in the absurd amounts in which it's included in prepared and processed foods.

Add your own if you want (not that you should) but I shouldn't have to forego buying something because a single serving has over 700 mg of salt. No?

So, why don't we leave the responsibility to the individual? Jillian, is there any limit that you think should be placed on the government? Any?

When you're exerting yourself and sweating alot you need salt to keep from cramping.

are you just fucking stupid or just fucking annoying?

taking the salt shaker off the table is hardly an over reaction....as i stated some people it worries...some it doesnt....we still get plenty of salt ...how much salt do you think someone needs a day?

Here are the cold, hard facts. The body requires only 500 milligrams of sodium each day. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day, but most of us take in more than 4,000 milligrams every day.

WikiAnswers - How much sodium does a person need in a day

So, why don't we leave the responsibility to the individual? Jillian, is there any limit that you think should be placed on the government? Any?

Because the "individual" doesn't do the manufacturing. And companies don't do things unless compelled to.

Why is it that the same people who are afraid that someone requires manufacturers to put in sane amounts of salt in food wouldn't think twice about telling someone else what to do with their own bodies or in their own bedrooms?

Christ. It's salt. If you're going to buy prepackaged garbage, expect to be eating whatever the manufacturer puts in there. Don't like it? Cook your own food. You can put in (or not) all the salt you want.

Salt shakers being nixed at hospitals has been around for a lot longer than Obama has been in office; I don't see him having a single thing to do with that.

Because the "individual" doesn't do the manufacturing. And companies don't do things unless compelled to.
The market compels the companies, as it should.

Don't buy their products.

You don't need government to make that decision.

This is an attempt at authoritarianism. You (general and personal) have some idea how everyone's diet should be and you use government to affect MY life.

Don't make legislation, you don't have to buy the product, and let those of us who DO enjoy the product continue to have it available to us.

And, I don't care what you or any others do in your bedroom. No sale.

Last edited:

Why is it that the same people who are afraid that someone requires manufacturers to put in sane amounts of salt in food wouldn't think twice about telling someone else what to do with their own bodies or in their own bedrooms?

So would you recommend eliminating all packaged foods or do you (and I) check sodium levels of the products you buy?

There was a time that near all cooked with lard and used butter with relish, then they learned maybe not such a good idea. How many lard products are in your baking section? As many as vegetable shortenings? Not much competition for lard.

We don't need or want the government making choices for people or business, that are better made by themselves. Oh and I for one am very against the government deciding what goes on in consenting adults homes.

are you just fucking stupid or just fucking annoying?

taking the salt shaker off the table is hardly an over reaction....as i stated some people it worries...some it doesnt....we still get plenty of salt ...how much salt do you think someone needs a day?

Here are the cold, hard facts. The body requires only 500 milligrams of sodium each day. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day, but most of us take in more than 4,000 milligrams every day.

WikiAnswers - How much sodium does a person need in a day

I agree. I've never been a big 'salt adding' person in the first place. I've been on low sodium diet for over 2 years now. Stores like "Whole Foods" and surprisingly "Super Target" have a wider availability of no-salt added and reduced sodium products than many. I don't need the government to tax manufacturers, restaurants, to make the choices available, I don't buy what I don't want. Obviously neither do you. I too leave the salt shaker in cabinet at dinner, if someone wants it, they know where it is.

The U.S. food industry may face federal sodium restrictions if it doesn’t move on its own to make packaged meals less salty, said Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“Substantial changes” in food production are needed to improve Americans’ health by reducing salt consumption, Frieden, who previously headed New York City’s health department, said in an editorial published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine. A voluntary reduction of salt by food manufacturers would lower consumption more than a mandatory tax on salt in packaged foods, according to a study in the same journal that Frieden cited.

Levying a “sodium tax” could decrease U.S. sodium consumption by 6 percent and save $22.4 billion in medical costs, the study found. No country has imposed such a tax, according to the report.

“After tobacco control, the most cost-effective intervention to control chronic diseases might be reduction of sodium intake,” Frieden said in the editorial, written with Peter Briss, the CDC’s acting associate director for science.

Salt Limits in Prepared Meals May Be Mandatory, CDC Chief Says - BusinessWeek

There is some controversy over whether sodium really is as harmful as they say. Could this be another "Big Daddy Gubmint" boondoggle like Warmergate?

I hope they still put salt on the table then. Freaking nanny-stateism.

Seriously this is not a huge deal to me but the general attitude of legislating behavior just pisses me off.

Who does that?

Forum List

Back