Salary Survey Says You Make $93,465

I had just dumped that email out of my inbox. You can imagine my surprise to find RDean making it into a thread. My wife and I are BOTH in that field. She says women don't pick engineering because the buildings at the colleges are always the darkest, grimiest places on campus.. She might have a point.

A fair number of posters mentioned it only takes a couple engineers to develop a product, but thousands to produce it.. That USED to be true.. One of our employment challenges is to think 21st century manufacturing processes where cheap labor is not an advantage. That means more automation, more clever machines, materials development, ect. And you'd be surprised how many engineers are still lurking around the margins of a manufacturing line. Every method of handling, testing, measuring stuff is STILL being "designed and refined". In fact, engineers that don't follow their products out to manufacturing and witness the problems and methods -- are never gonna truely improve their product design skills..

We're gonna need MORE AMERICAN engineers to build 21st century manufacturing. Instead of millions of web page designers (likke in the 90s) --- we're gonna need millions of robot script writers and robot "doctors" to make mass labor markets like China irrelevent..

I had just dumped that email out of my inbox. You can imagine my surprise to find RDean making it into a thread. My wife and I are BOTH in that field. She says women don't pick engineering because the buildings at the colleges are always the darkest, grimiest places on campus.. She might have a point.

A fair number of posters mentioned it only takes a couple engineers to develop a product, but thousands to produce it.. That USED to be true.. One of our employment challenges is to think 21st century manufacturing processes where cheap labor is not an advantage. That means more automation, more clever machines, materials development, ect. And you'd be surprised how many engineers are still lurking around the margins of a manufacturing line. Every method of handling, testing, measuring stuff is STILL being "designed and refined". In fact, engineers that don't follow their products out to manufacturing and witness the problems and methods -- are never gonna truely improve their product design skills..

We're gonna need MORE AMERICAN engineers to build 21st century manufacturing. Instead of millions of web page designers (likke in the 90s) --- we're gonna need millions of robot script writers and robot "doctors" to make mass labor markets like China irrelevent..

The reason American women don't choose engineering has nothing to do with grimy buildings. Primarily, they suck at math and science. Secondly, the guys are grimier than the buildings

How many engineers does it take to design the electrical system in a house? How many workers does it take to install it?

It doesn't take an engineer to design a residential electrical system and it only takes one person to install it.

That one person is actually a design engineer in most states, or working under the nominal supervision of an engineer.

I've never seen a design engineer wiring a house and I've never seen an electrician consult a design engineer.

I've wired houses myself and it really isn't rocket science.

It doesn't take an engineer to design a residential electrical system and it only takes one person to install it.

That one person is actually a design engineer in most states, or working under the nominal supervision of an engineer.

I've never seen a design engineer wiring a house and I've never seen an electrician consult a design engineer.

I've wired houses myself and it really isn't rocket science.

Believe it or not, a master electrician actual meets the definition of design engineer. Just because they can map out the circuits in their heads does not mean they are not designing them.

Not that I necessary agree with it, because I think all engineers are actually designers, but I looked up the term because rdean started a thread about them, I wanted to know what he was talking about.

Design engineer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reason American women don't choose engineering has nothing to do with grimy buildings. Primarily, they suck at math and science. Secondly, the guys are grimier than the buildings

Speak for yourself. Your explanation fails. Nursing is a female dominated profession. You probably don't want someon who 'sucks' at math being your nurse.

Forum List

Back