Salad dressing, unrefrigerated...

I do have UPS backup here in case of power failure. Not sure it would run a refrigerator, but come to think of it the only time we have power outages here is in winter so it's not an issue.

Harbor Freight time.

OK, had to look up "Harbor Freight". Chain store? :dunno:

Cheap tools...and generators. I have a Predator 4000 mounted on my truck...works great...loud as the dickens...but does the job.

4000 Max Starting/3200 Running Watts, 6.5 HP (212cc) Generator EPA III with GFCI Outlet Protection

Just to follow up on your watching Maryland ---

The sun's out here, we got several inches of rain over the last day and a half but I never got so much as a gust of wind, not once. Florence passed to my east and apparently has turned further east toward eastern Kentucky. So I think all your parents are looking at is rainfall.

Thanks Pogo...looks like they are out of the woods. Trees fell on the powerlines, but didn't knock out the power. The power co. is shutting down the power Wednesday to remove them.

How are things at your place?

We gots lots of rain as expected, for a day and two nights. By this morning the sun was out. Creeks and rivers are high but no higher than we've seen 'em in the past during wet spells. My completely unofficial gauge, the ten-gallon pot sitting out in the yard, indicates we got maybe ten inches or more. But it ran off.

We had no power outages here. We blinked twice, just momentarily, and that was it.

And a correction to my earlier post --- when I said Florence passed to my "east", that means to my "west". Just like "would" means "wouldn't". ;)

all mayonaise all that shit ,,,sorry ,,,,all that words' all that yes

you put in the fridge

Believe it or not, the Association for Dressings and Sauces states commercial mayonaise is shelf stable after opening...that refrigeration is for quality...not safety.

Q. What happens if I leave mayonnaise unrefrigerated for a long period of time?

A. From a food safety standpoint, commercial mayonnaise and mayonnaise-type dressings are perfectly stable when stored at room temperature after opening. Quality (e.g., flavor, taste, aroma), not safety, is the only reason the labels on these products suggest that they be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration ensures that the commercial mayonnaise keeps its fresh flavor for a longer period of time. Please review the product's label for more information on storage and shelf life.
Make Mine Mayonnaise!: The Goodness of Mayonnaise

I've read this before, but it's just to ingrained to break the conditioning.
It's true. People are stupid about food.

Most cases of true food poisoning aren't caused by dressing...they're caused by the foods the dressing is on. The vinegar, sugar and salt is generally sufficient to prevent the growth of the organisms that lead to food poisoning in the dressing itself. And while I won't go so far to say you can't get sick off milk products left out..the truth is that fermented/aged milk products are cheese, sour cream, yogurt. Milk doesn't make you sick unless it has something like ecoli or typhus in it..which have nothing to do with being left *out* unless you leave it out in the bathroom.

Cooked veggies, however, can be lethal. If you are going to be eating food that is left out and you aren't sure about it, boil it vigorously for at least 10 minutes. That kills just about everything. Don't eat green beans or potatoes if they've been left out.

Meat is also pretty safe (though not organ meats). Raw meat can sour if the temperature is not very cool...but I don't think it will make you sick, other than just tasting awful. Cooked meat left too long can make you sick.

I don’t refrigerate vinegar
I don’t refrigerate vegetable oil

Why refrigerate a salad dressing that is vinegar and oil ?

Well I stopped refriderating mustard because of this thread, I think pogo mentioned it first, you guys are right no difference.

Forum List

Back