Said1 Please Tell Me The American Is Getting This Wrong?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/004497.php

May 17, 2005
Belinda Sells Out
Paul Martin has bought the support of Conservative MP Belinda Stronach with a ministerial position, changing the balance of power in Parliament and possibly saving the Liberal Party's grip on power. Martin induced Stronach to cross the aisle this morning by making her the Minister of Human Resources:

Martin said he and Stronach share common beliefs on questions of policy and politics, including the Gomery commission investigating the sponsorship scandal.
"Based on these shared beliefs, she and I have agreed that she fits more comfortably, can serve more appropriately and can contribute more substantially as a member of the government caucus," he said.

"Accordingly, I am very pleased to announce that Ms. Stronach will cross the floor and has agreed to join the cabinet as Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development."

The move could give the Liberals a better chance of passing a crucial confidence motion on the federal budget scheduled for Thursday.

Ironically, Stronach is a newcomer to politics who first launched her career by attempting to wrest control of the Conservative Party from Stephen Harper after leaving her CEO position at Magna International. After that strange move failed last year, she settled into her position as a backbencher from Ontario, one of the few Tory MPs from that province. She had spoken publicly about her reservations on using the budget for a no-confidence vote, but had sided with the Tories on the previous votes they attempted to use to bring down Martin and the Liberals. The only item that has appeared to change in the hours since the last such vote is her new Cabinet position in charge of human resources and skills development.

Given her short and strange political history, it's easy to paint Stronach as an opportunist of the most crass order, but that sells Martin somewhat short. Obviously the cash registers are open at the Liberal Party and they have positions and power to sell in order to keep their grip on the government. While Stephen Harper and the Tories continue to work through the system, Martin has proven yet again that he's willing to twist the system itself to remain Prime Minister and keep the Liberals from getting evicted from the seats of power.

Harper could still win the vote on Thursday, but it's looking a lot more doubtful now. His best opportunity would be to peel off a Grit from the West whose support of Martin's fire sale would ensure the loss of the riding. If he has a candidate for this effort, he'd better lock it in before Thursday's vote.

UPDATE: Welcome, Instapundit readers! For those of you not familiar with Canadian politics, you may want to read this update to understand just how badly Belinda betrayed her Tory associates -- one in particular.

Posted by Captain Ed at May 17, 2005 10:11 AM

That's correct, I was watching this on the news last night after I played Pong.
The entire press gallery laughed at both of them after Martin announced the "move". I was laughing my ass off too, if it wasn't for the terrible timing, I think she'd make a great liberal. Human resources teehee - maybe she can do something about the federal government's language policies LOL! :D

Said1 said:
That's correct, I was watching this on the news last night after I played Pong.
The entire press gallery laughed at both of them after Martin announced the "move". I was laughing my ass off too, if it wasn't for the terrible timing, I think she'd make a great liberal. Human resources teehee - maybe she can do something about the federal government's language policies LOL! :D

:laugh: Alright then, seems you could move this government to Illinois. A couple of days ago, our wonderful governor, pissed about a federal investigation into his 'financial dealings' resulting in a flurry of subpoenas responded to a reporter's question regarding his downslide in a poll, saying he has the 'testicular virility' to withstand such nonsense. :shocked: No, I am NOT kidding:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/marin/cst-edt-carol18.html

It's pretty funny, especially when you realize that he is now in these difficulties because of a 'family fight' with his father-in-law, a Chicago alderman over the holidays, that went public in January. :rolleyes:

Kathianne said:
:laugh: Alright then, seems you could move this government to Illinois. A couple of days ago, our wonderful governor, pissed about a federal investigation into his 'financial dealings' resulting in a flurry of subpoenas responded to a reporter's question regarding his downslide in a poll, saying he has the 'testicular virility' to withstand such nonsense. :shocked: No, I am NOT kidding:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/marin/cst-edt-carol18.html

It's pretty funny, especially when you realize that he is now in these difficulties because of a 'family fight' with his father-in-law, a Chicago alderman over the holidays, that went public in January. :rolleyes:

She wasn't taken very seriouly during her first attempts at politics, I think this just made it worse. Oh well, she's really young, she has lots of time to live it down.

I caught the tail end of a local radio talk show yesterday afternoon, and the last few callers were really pissed, should be interesting listening today.

Said1 said:
She wasn't taken very seriouly during her first attempts at politics, I think this just made it worse. Oh well, she's really young, she has lots of time to live it down.

I caught the tail end of a local radio talk show yesterday afternoon, and the last few callers were really pissed, should be interesting listening today.

Well it appears that Martin over achieved in his accomplishments! ;) What is that quote about rising to one's level of ineptitude? :happy2:

Kathianne said:
Well it appears that Martin over achieved in his accomplishments! ;) What is that quote about rising to one's level of ineptitude? :happy2:

One more thing (if it wasn't funny enough as it is), Last night, a reporter asked her if her boyfriend broke up with her because she switched parties. :teeth:

Said1 said:
One more thing (if it wasn't funny enough as it is), Last night, a reporter asked her if her boyfriend broke up with her because she switched parties. :teeth:

:laugh: I dread to think what they may ask the governor's wife! :shocked: Please don't tell him or her how comfortable they might feel here, we have enough of them!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servi...0175may18,1,2945294.column?ctrack=1&cset=true

John Kass:

Talking tough puts Blagojevich in ticklish spot

Published May 18, 2005

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has finally carved his name into the history books, by claiming special powers.

It happened the other day, when he held a news conference to brag that he has more "testicular virility" than most other politicians.

He also insisted that he draws upon his vast reservoir of testicular virility to maintain his virtue.

If this narcissism remains unchecked, I worry that he'll soon be running around Springfield wearing tights and a cape, insisting he's banishing evil.

So, as responsible citizens, we must ask a few questions, like:

Governor? Are you OK?

And how does one measure testicular virility, exactly?

Are your powers available to women voters, or is this one of those "just for men" things, like hair polish?

What is testicular virility, exactly?

I called doctors, and naturally I had to call NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, just in case Blagojevich's testicular virility references were strange metaphors for actual rockets to be launched in Illinois, to help the state's economy.

"You want to know about what?" asked a NASA spokeswoman.

I wanted to learn more about throw weight and thrust, rocket terms that could help me understand the governor's psyche.

"What's this story about?" she asked, kindly. "What's the context?"

I was so embarrassed for the governor and the rest of us from Illinois, I declined to comment. A few minutes later, the spokeswoman called back, leaving a phone message after questioning NASA scientists on behalf of all Illinois taxpayers.

"John? Thrust is the force of the launch vehicle or spacecraft, measured in pounds or newtons. And throw weight is the amount of payload mass you're ejecting into space."

And I thought of Blagojevich's presidential ambitions lost in space, somewhere.

Physicians already heard Blagojevich's bragging.

"Testicular virility? What's he talking about? I think he's nuts," said Dr. George Moran, who has practiced urology in the western suburbs for more than 20 years. "He's obviously bragging, but about what exactly, I can't say, and I wouldn't, if I knew."

Doctor, what is your diagnosis?

"Well, with the state in financial difficulties, with corruption and high taxes and so on, it's obvious that the governor is focusing too much on his testicles and not on the job of governing."

Dr. David Cohen, a reproductive endocrinologist and reproduction expert at the University of Chicago, said he'd talk to me as long as I didn't take this seriously.

Studying a governor who compares himself to others in the virility department is probably a job for a psychiatrist, but what the heck.

Can you define testicular virility?

"I cannot," Cohen said. "But I think I know what he meant. He's referring to the strength required to govern. How's that?"

And how do you measure it?

"I don't know why I returned your call," he said. "You're going to put this in the paper and my wife is going to kill me. And by the way, to get serious for one second, this sort of virility may have nothing to do with testicular function. It may involve hormone therapy. Virility and testicular function may not necessarily go hand in hand."

The governor was in budget meetings and therefore unavailable. So his press secretary, Cheryle Jackson, took the call.

She insisted that testicular virility referred to courage and guts. Blagojevich, she explained, believes that women have courage and guts too.

So, how do you measure this?

"I don't believe you brought it up," she said.

I didn't. Your boss did.

"I know," she said.

What powers will he claim next week? He's already learned how to disappear.

What is going on up there? This is sounding so un-Canada like...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...ational/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20050518.wlibz0518

Tory MP says he was offered job bribes by GritsWednesday, May 18, 2005 Updated at 8:16 PM EDT

Associated Press

Ottawa — Conservative MP Gurmant Grewal says he was offered a Liberal sinecure abroad or a Senate seat for his wife in return for scratching his crucial budget vote.

The Surrey, B.C. MP, whose wife Nina is also a Tory MP, alleges he made an audio recording of the offer from Liberal cabinet minister Ujjal Dosanjh and Tim Murphy, Prime Minister Paul Martin's chief of staff.One usually doesn't use names, if one is making things up!

The allegation comes a day after Belinda Stronach shocked her Tory caucus colleagues by jumping to the Liberal cabinet.

Mr. Martin insisted the move was Ms. Stronach's initiative and that the Liberals were not actively attempting to poach from Conservative ranks.

Ms. Stronach's defection left the House of Commons deadlocked between the Liberal-NDP camp and the Conservative-Bloc alignment on a crucial budget vote in less than 24 hours that could kill the minority government.

Two Independent MPs hold the balance of power.

Kathianne said:
The Surrey, B.C. MP, whose wife Nina is also a Tory MP, alleges he made an audio recording of the offer from Liberal cabinet minister Ujjal Dosanjh and Tim Murphy, Prime Minister Paul Martin's chief of staff.One usually doesn't use names, if one is making things up!.

Actually, there was anothr BC MP accused of trying to bribe a pizza cook/delivery guy. He signed an affidavit stating that she would help him obtain citizenship if he delivered free pizzas to her party headquarters. No joke! A stripper worked on her campaigne and received special treatment too (I may not have all the details exact, but that's the overall gist). The MP was cleared, and the pizza guy admitted he was lying, still pretty freekin funny though. She was on the raido Saturday, crying about how she'll never live that down. Guess she had some enemies somewhere. :D

Said1 said:
Actually, there was anothr BC MP accused of trying to bribe a pizza cook/delivery guy. He signed an affidavit stating that she would help him obtain citizenship if he delivered free pizzas to her party headquarters. No joke! A stripper worked on her campaigne and received special treatment too (I may not have all the details exact, but that's the overall gist). The MP was cleared, and the pizza guy admitted he was lying, still pretty freekin funny though. She was on the raido Saturday, crying about how she'll never live that down. Guess she had some enemies somewhere. :D

Honestly, this is sounding more and more like Chicago politics. :shocked:

Forum List

Back