Said1 Help!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
This seems significant:

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=026d4422-6d8a-4450-a0f0-36c20a6e56bc

Liberals dismiss Commons vote recommending they resign as only procedural

Canadian Press

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper (left) looks on as Prime Minister Paul Martin stands in the House of Commons. (CP Photo/Jonathan Hayward)

OTTAWA (CP) - The House of Commons has passed a motion that calls for the Liberal government to resign, but the Liberals are shrugging it off as only procedural.

The vote, which passed 153-150, is one of several attempts by the opposition to bring down what has become a shaky minority government under Prime Minister Paul Martin. Though the Liberals tried hard to block the Opposition Conservative motion, they are sticking to their view that losing it doesn't mean they've lost the confidence of the House of Commons.

In fact, the Tories accuse the Liberals of making sure some MPs were absent in an effort to discredit the seriousness of the matter.

The jockeying comes as an increasingly chaotic Parliament degenerates into daily name-calling and demands for the government to resign.

The once-stable Liberal minority has been imperilled by damning testimony at the sponsorship inquiry, prompting the Tories to band with the Bloc Quebecois and try to bring the government down.

Here's some more detail surrounding the vote: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1115807514186_11/?hub=Canada
The budget was just passed a short time ago, and I don't know if there were any time limits attached to special recommendations. On the other hand, you can see the shuffle in Martin's actions lately, seems like he's trying to meet some of them ASAP, based on the detail in the link above.
I didn't think they were voting until the 18th. For the time being, here's my take on it: :blah2:

Stupid politicians! Nothing is going to change. Maybe one minority for another, but thats all. The only ones that look as if they will come out ahead is the Bloc.

Want to start a pool?

Tories will get a minority, Grits hammered in Quebec, Bloc calling a referendum. Ya! Thats what I see.

MrMarbles said:
Stupid politicians! Nothing is going to change. Maybe one minority for another, but thats all. The only ones that look as if they will come out ahead is the Bloc.

Want to start a pool?

Tories will get a minority, Grits hammered in Quebec, Bloc calling a referendum. Ya! Thats what I see.

Damn straight! 100% agreement here. Referendum '07, they've been talking about it for the last 6 months.

Forum List

Back