Safe Rape… How progressive…

I don't see what's wrong with this. Prison rape happens and I don't think it can be completely stopped. If someone really wants to rape, they're going to rape. There's probably some consensual sex going on, too.

Since most inmates will eventually be released at some point in time, it would be best if they weren't also releasing their newly-acquired stids back into society too. So this is an effort to reduce the chances of that happening.

I don't think abstinence-only education would work in Cell Block D. :lol:

Are you saying rape is OK as long as the rapist uses a condom? An interesting aside, in most states it is impossible for an inmate to consent to sex, which makes it automatically rape.

I made my point as clear as I could. Reading comprehension--or lack of, in this case--is on you. :thup:

You made your point?

I don't see what's wrong with this.

Sex in jail is legally defined as rape. Twist that anyway you want, but it will always come up wrong. It is the legal equivalent of placing a condom machine in the teachers lounge at school in order to prevent pregnancy and the health of the students of those teachers.

But please, tell me I have a problem with reading comprehension again, it is amusing.

well, there's always real safe rape.......

SafeSex.gif

Are you saying rape is OK as long as the rapist uses a condom? An interesting aside, in most states it is impossible for an inmate to consent to sex, which makes it automatically rape.

I made my point as clear as I could. Reading comprehension--or lack of, in this case--is on you. :thup:

You made your point?

Sex in jail is legally defined as rape. Twist that anyway you want, but it will always come up wrong. It is the legal equivalent of placing a condom machine in the teachers lounge at school in order to prevent pregnancy and the health of the students of those teachers.

But please, tell me I have a problem with reading comprehension again, it is amusing.
I don't think he said he was okay with it.
I think the point is, it is happening anyways. Instead of ignoring the problem and not taking safety per cations, the jail is being realistic. And it isn't rape when both people want to do it. The majority of sex in jail, would not be considered rape in the real world.
And like Silky said, if they can prevent them from spreading STDs, which can then spread to others once they are released then it is worth it.
Watch a documentary on prisons sometimes. You might see what really happens in jails and prisons.

I'm not going to quibble with your pretentious bullshit, Windbag. If you feel like a winner for asserting that I think rape is okay, then you go ahead with that. I've already made my points. Again, reading comprehension--or lack of, in this case--is on you.

You made your point?

I think the point is, it is happening anyways. Instead of ignoring the problem and not taking safety per cations, the jail is being realistic. And it isn't rape when both people want to do it. The majority of sex in jail, would not be considered rape in the real world.
And like Silky said, if they can prevent them from spreading STDs, which can then spread to others once they are released then it is worth it.
Watch a documentary on prisons sometimes. You might see what really happens in jails and prisons.

I get what he is saying, but the problem is that it is illegal, period. Drugs get into jails despite everything the staff does to prevent it, should they put in machines to dispense marijuana and crack?

I'm not going to quibble with your pretentious bullshit, Windbag. If you feel like a winner for asserting that I think rape is okay, then you go ahead with that. I've already made my points. Again, reading comprehension--or lack of, in this case--is on you.

It is not going to work.

It is illegal.

Anyone who is raped might argue that the jail assisted in that rape because they supplied the condoms.

I simply have a problem with anyone asserting that rape is inevitable, even in an environment like prison. It might not be easy to prevent, but it can be prevented. If you are right the only logical solution is not to put anyone in prison, because I am pretty sure rape qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.

This is not me being pretentious, it is simply me calling you on your attitude. Maybe they victims in prison should just relax and enjoy it.

I get what he is saying, but the problem is that it is illegal, period. Drugs get into jails despite everything the staff does to prevent it, should they put in machines to dispense marijuana and crack?

That is why I told you that you don't get what I'm saying.

The reasoning behind condom access is not about "everybody is already raping each other in the showers". If it was, then your analogy would work. But it doesn't, because the logic behind condom access is about disease control. How does access to narcotics increase disease control? It doesn't.

You made your point?

That is like comparing apples and oranges.

That is great it is illegal, doesn't mean it will stop, and it doesn't mean they shouldn't do something to help prevent STDs.
I am sorry I don't want STDs spread out into the general public, because people have a problem with them giving them condoms. You can either ignore the problem, and or you can do something to help prevent the problem from turning into something worse.

Health officials in the U.S. were alarmed to find that after declining for many years, syphilis rates began to increase in early 2000.2 The 2001 rate was 2.2 cases per 100,000, up from the rate of 2.1 cases per 100,000 in 2000.3 (See Table 1.) There is a large geographical variation in the rates of primary and secondary syphilis, with the highest rates reported in the South.The reported rates of syphilis are higher in correctional environments than in the non-incarcerated population. In 1990, an outbreak of syphilis in New York City led to intake syphilis screening and control initiatives in NYC jails. In one jail, syphilis was found in 3.3% of new inmates who were screened.4

Recognition of these differences does not suggest that diagnosis and management of STDs in either of these two environments is simple, but highlights the challenges. In prisons, one of the priorities is preventing the introduction of STDs into the inmate population; there may be less concern and urgency regarding transmission to the outside community. In jails, the priorities include diagnosis and treatment within the jail, with great concern for decreasing transmission to the community and prison facilities.
Many have looked at the jail environment as key to controlling STDs, noting high rates of untreated sexually transmitted diseases within minority communities with high incarceration rates.16 A similar argument has been made for collaboration between jails, prisons, and departments of health to diagnosis, track, and report STD trends in corrections.17 Due to the high rates of STDs within jails, and the subsequent impact on outside communities, several strategies have evolved to address the issues paramount in jail environments.
I think this paragraph says it all!
Managing Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Jails - The Body

That is why I told you that you don't get what I'm saying.

The reasoning behind condom access is not about "everybody is already raping each other in the showers". If it was, then your analogy would work. But it doesn't, because the logic behind condom access is about disease control. How does access to narcotics increase disease control? It doesn't.

Then we can give them fresh needles, and sterilizing equipment for their tattoo machines. Both of those are prohibited in jail, are getting in anyway, and are about health.

No matter how narrowly you attempt to define this I can provide an analogy that works. This is just a bad idea, period. It just indicates how screwed up our criminal justice system has gotten, and why it needs to be reworked from the ground up.

Health officials in the U.S. were alarmed to find that after declining for many years, syphilis rates began to increase in early 2000.2 The 2001 rate was 2.2 cases per 100,000, up from the rate of 2.1 cases per 100,000 in 2000.3 (See Table 1.) There is a large geographical variation in the rates of primary and secondary syphilis, with the highest rates reported in the South.The reported rates of syphilis are higher in correctional environments than in the non-incarcerated population. In 1990, an outbreak of syphilis in New York City led to intake syphilis screening and control initiatives in NYC jails. In one jail, syphilis was found in 3.3% of new inmates who were screened.4
Recognition of these differences does not suggest that diagnosis and management of STDs in either of these two environments is simple, but highlights the challenges. In prisons, one of the priorities is preventing the introduction of STDs into the inmate population; there may be less concern and urgency regarding transmission to the outside community. In jails, the priorities include diagnosis and treatment within the jail, with great concern for decreasing transmission to the community and prison facilities.
Many have looked at the jail environment as key to controlling STDs, noting high rates of untreated sexually transmitted diseases within minority communities with high incarceration rates.16 A similar argument has been made for collaboration between jails, prisons, and departments of health to diagnosis, track, and report STD trends in corrections.17 Due to the high rates of STDs within jails, and the subsequent impact on outside communities, several strategies have evolved to address the issues paramount in jail environments.

I get that it is a problem. What I also get is that it is not going to get better simply because we supply inmates with condoms. Doing that is an admission that we have no control over the jails and prisons in this country, which is an argument for shutting them down, not puttin in condoms.

I get that it is a problem. What I also get is that it is not going to get better simply because we supply inmates with condoms. Doing that is an admission that we have no control over the jails and prisons in this country, which is an argument for shutting them down, not puttin in condoms.

Until then, we should do whatever we can to protect the general public. And you can't watch someone every minute of the day.

Forum List

Back