Saddam's rule 'better' for gay Iraqis

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Don't see this on Fox News:

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Saddam's rule 'better' for gay Iraqis

Gay men inside Iraq have been able to seek sanctuary in safe houses, thanks to the UK-based Iraqi Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) group, which manages them from London.

The documentary team were granted exclusive access to one of the homes on the outskirts of Baghdad, where we found a 31-year-old transsexual man called Qasim (not his real name).

Qasim said: "I'm scared all the time. I often think people are going to come in the night and take me because I am particularly known as gay."

All the LGBT Iraqis interviewed for Gay Life After Saddam maintained that life was easier for them when Saddam Hussein was in power, from 1979 to 2003.

Poor Qasim...Saddam is deader than Michael Jackson...he should move to the US where LGBT is celebrated. They'll throw him a parade and take him to Disney World and if he can sing even halfway decent, he can be on American Idol

That's right Republicans, just laugh and ignore the facts. If this was you though, you wouldn't be laughing. So much for Iraq being so much better with Saddam overthrown. Oh, don't forget that Women also had more rights under Saddam then they do now.

That's right Republicans, just laugh and ignore the facts. If this was you though, you wouldn't be laughing. So much for Iraq being so much better with Saddam overthrown. Oh, don't forget that Women also had more rights under Saddam then they do now.

I didn't know that Hillary, Rahm Emanuel, and Joe Biden were republicans. You know, three of the top-ranking members of Obama's staff?

I didn't know that Hillary, Rahm Emanuel, and Joe Biden were republicans. You know, three of the top-ranking members of Obama's staff?

What the hell are you referring to? The fact they supported the war? (I know Hillary and Biden did. Not sure about Rahm.) When I said Republicans, I was referring to the posters above me.

What the hell are you referring to? The fact they supported the war? (I know Hillary and Biden did. Not sure about Rahm.) When I said Republicans, I was referring to the posters above me.

:lol: Evil laugh....I love stirring his shitpot.

Can you explain how women had more rights with Saddam in power. You mean the right to be raped by his sons? The right to be banned from any public meetings and from the right to vote?

What's the matter? Does it make you mad when people who don't agree with you make jokes about your position? How tragic!!! I'm sure the democrats never did such a horrible thing....oh wait...there was the one time that some democrats poked fun at Sarah Palin and Carrie Prejean ... I think it had to do with teen pregnancy and gay marriage.... hmmmm... anyhoo....as I was saying, if you're gonna bitch about people attacking your opinion (especially on THIS subject) you might want to go to a democrat friendly thread site.

Don't see this on Fox News:

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Saddam's rule 'better' for gay Iraqis

Gay men inside Iraq have been able to seek sanctuary in safe houses, thanks to the UK-based Iraqi Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) group, which manages them from London.

The documentary team were granted exclusive access to one of the homes on the outskirts of Baghdad, where we found a 31-year-old transsexual man called Qasim (not his real name).

Qasim said: "I'm scared all the time. I often think people are going to come in the night and take me because I am particularly known as gay."

All the LGBT Iraqis interviewed for Gay Life After Saddam maintained that life was easier for them when Saddam Hussein was in power, from 1979 to 2003.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gays prefer DICK-tators.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Evil laugh....I love stirring his shitpot.

Can you explain how women had more rights with Saddam in power. You mean the right to be raped by his sons? The right to be banned from any public meetings and from the right to vote?

What's the matter? Does it make you mad when people who don't agree with you make jokes about your position? How tragic!!! I'm sure the democrats never did such a horrible thing....oh wait...there was the one time that some democrats poked fun at Sarah Palin and Carrie Prejean ... I think it had to do with teen pregnancy and gay marriage.... hmmmm... anyhoo....as I was saying, if you're gonna bitch about people attacking your opinion (especially on THIS subject) you might want to go to a democrat friendly thread site.

You weren't making a joke about my position, you were making a joke about the people. That's where I find fault with it.

As for the women having more rights? Just go to google for two seconds, from the first page alone:

Women had more rights under Saddam - Feministing

Iraqi Women Targeted by Campaign of Violence - ABC News

I'm not saying it was as you said "Disney World" but it was alot better for both groups then it is now.

Did anyone ever think that maybe the IRAQI PEOPLE don't like gays? What do Shiites believe about homosexuality?
The original post says nothing about WHICH people they are afraid of. I am guessing they are afraid of civilians, not the new government. Free countries seem to have higher crime rates than dictatorships. In Saudi Arabia, you can leave a Rolex on the sidewalk, and no one will pick it up. Why? Because the penalty for doing so it cutting off the hand. I am sure under the brutal reign of Saddam, the crime rate was much lower than now.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever think that maybe the IRAQI PEOPLE don't like gays? What do Shiites believe about homosexuality?
The original post says nothing about WHICH people they are afraid of. I am guessing they are afraid of civilians, not the new government. Free countries seem to have higher crime rates than dictatorships. In Saudi Arabia, you can leave a Rolex on the sidewalk, and no one will pick it up. Why? Because the penalty for doing so it cutting off the hand.

Higher crime rates and open season on a whole group of people are two different things though. I agree with your reasoning of why free countries have higher crime rates than dictatorships. Which is why Saddam's rule was better for Iraqis who were Gay since now you have these "Vigilantes" going around killing Gays. I use that term loosely however since they believe it's a crime where in reality it's not.

Saddam was a US sock puppet over there, the whole reason he had to be removed was because he bit the hand that fed him ... so of course he would have followed our civil rights ideals.

The original post says nothing about WHICH people they are afraid of. I am guessing they are afraid of civilians, not the new government. Free countries seem to have higher crime rates than dictatorships. In Saudi Arabia, you can leave a Rolex on the sidewalk, and no one will pick it up. Why? Because the penalty for doing so it cutting off the hand.

Higher crime rates and open season on a whole group of people are two different things though. I agree with your reasoning of why free countries have higher crime rates than dictatorships. Which is why Saddam's rule was better for Iraqis who were Gay since now you have these "Vigilantes" going around killing Gays. I use that term loosely however since they believe it's a crime where in reality it's not.

:confused::eusa_eh::cuckoo:

Forgive me for disagreeing, but I would hardly consider women living in upper-class Sunni neighborhoods of Baghdad to be "average" Iraqi women. Riverbend in particular, with her flawless command of English and unrelenting hostility to every change that has occurred in Iraq since the fall of Saddam, has become the darling of the "anti-war" left. The fact that she is almost certainly a child of Baathist privilege, whose experiences are anything but typical of Iraqi women, is usually overlooked.

It is true that Iraqi women who were part of the elite under the old regime, such as Riverbend, are worse off now than they were under Saddam. Of course, unlike other Iraqi women, they never had to worry about being tortured, dumped in a mass grave, or dragged from their homes and beheaded by the Fedayeen Saddam. As long as their husbands or parents kept them away from Uday, privileged Iraqi women such as Riverbend were safe. Unfortunately, the majority of Iraqi women under Saddam couldn't say the same.

Yes, the status and situation of women in Iraq is very much an issue of concern. The forces of radical Islamism, both Sunni and Shia, are determined to destroy women's rights in that country. However, the idea that the "average Iraqi woman" was better off under Saddam is simply not supported by the facts.

Ok...I read your link...so now read mine

Iraqi Women Speak Out about Life under Saddam's Dictatorship, October 4, 2002

Forgive me for disagreeing, but I would hardly consider women living in upper-class Sunni neighborhoods of Baghdad to be "average" Iraqi women. Riverbend in particular, with her flawless command of English and unrelenting hostility to every change that has occurred in Iraq since the fall of Saddam, has become the darling of the "anti-war" left. The fact that she is almost certainly a child of Baathist privilege, whose experiences are anything but typical of Iraqi women, is usually overlooked.

It is true that Iraqi women who were part of the elite under the old regime, such as Riverbend, are worse off now than they were under Saddam. Of course, unlike other Iraqi women, they never had to worry about being tortured, dumped in a mass grave, or dragged from their homes and beheaded by the Fedayeen Saddam. As long as their husbands or parents kept them away from Uday, privileged Iraqi women such as Riverbend were safe. Unfortunately, the majority of Iraqi women under Saddam couldn't say the same.

Yes, the status and situation of women in Iraq is very much an issue of concern. The forces of radical Islamism, both Sunni and Shia, are determined to destroy women's rights in that country. However, the idea that the "average Iraqi woman" was better off under Saddam is simply not supported by the facts.

The women of Iraq still have to worry about being dragged out of their home, raped, and murdered. Except instead of Saddam's sons, it's warlords.

In other words, Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss in that situation.

The women of Iraq still have to worry about being dragged out of their home, raped, and murdered. Except instead of Saddam's sons, it's warlords.

So you agree that things aren't worse...but the same? Every one of those articles about how women had it better under saddam was from some ANTI WAR position or only from the position of the elite. I would argue that you would get a different perspective on the streets of towns and cities all over Iraq if you spoke to the everyday Iraqi woman.

So you agree that things aren't worse...but the same? Every one of those articles about how women had it better under saddam was from some ANTI WAR position or only from the position of the elite. I would argue that you would get a different perspective on the streets of towns and cities all over Iraq if you spoke to the everyday Iraqi woman.

When it comes to rape, it was happening under both people. Though if you somehow want to compare that horrible crime, it occurs more now most likely.

I was agreeing that both Saddam's sons and the Warlords are both brutal rapists.

When it comes to rape, it was happening under both people. Though if you somehow want to compare that horrible crime, it occurs more now most likely.

I was agreeing that both Saddam's sons and the Warlords are both brutal rapists.

I don't see how you can back up a "most likely" claim. But at least we are in partial agreement.

I don't see how you can back up a "most likely" claim. But at least we are in partial agreement.

Well there are certainly more warlords and "Vigilantes" then there were of Saddam's sons.

uh, warlords?
you sure you're not confusing Astan with Iraq?

Forum List

Back