Saddam's Capture Justifies War for Some

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...p_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_soldiers_speak_1&printer=1

Saddam's Capture Justifies War for Some
Fri Feb 6,11:12 AM ET

By CHRIS BRUMMITT, Associated Press Writer

TIKRIT, Iraq - For Staff Sgt. Isaac Day and many other American soldiers serving here, ridding Iraq (news - web sites) of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) made the war worthwhile — regardless of whether anyone ever finds weapons of mass destruction.

"I'm glad we got Saddam," said Day, of Tarpon Springs, Fla. "When I grow old I can tell my grandchildren that we liberated this country."

That was a sentiment expressed in dozens of interviews with U.S. soldiers stationed near Tikrit, Saddam's hometown and a center of resistance to the U.S. occupation.

"Saddam lived in splendor while the rest of his people had to fend for themselves," Maj. Paul Lehto of Kingston, Mass., said over lunch here.

Despite widespread resistance from some of America's oldest and closest allies, President Bush (news - web sites) launched the war last March because Iraq allegedly possessed stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons. Senior administration officials also said Saddam wanted to reconstitute a nuclear weapons program which was cut short by the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites).

However, no such weapons have been found. David Kay, who led the weapons search after the end of active combat, has said he doubted that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction in recent years.

"My satisfaction came when we were riding through from Kuwait and all these children were shouting 'America is number one'," said Staff Sgt. Temu Gibson from Schenectady, N.Y.

Most of the 130,000 American troops stationed in Iraq have access to the Internet and other media and are aware of the growing political storm over the failure to find any weapons.

A number of them say Saddam's brutality to his own people justified the war.

"I have a shoebox full of pictures of people who have gone missing over the last 30 years," said one soldier who asked to be identified as Mac. "And people are getting all tied up over the WMD issue. Coming here was the right thing to do."

Still, the ongoing attacks by insurgents and the continuing loss of American lives underscore the political problems facing the Bush administration over the absence of any weapons of mass destruction.

Lt. Jerry England said it appeared that Bush had "played on the fear" of weapons of mass destruction in arguing the case for war. "It was a harder case to sell without them," said England, from Overland Park, Kan.

...Saddam's capture is that there continue to be rumors that he had been in the custody of a Kurdish faction for some weeks before he was "found" and "captured". It didn't provide the bump in the polls Dubbyuh's handlers were expecting though.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...Saddam's capture is that there continue to be rumors that he had been in the custody of a Kurdish faction for some weeks before he was "found" and "captured".

Why would that be a problem? As long as that miserable bastard was removed, I don't care who the hell actually detained him. I'm also pretty confident this worm wouldn't have went into hiding if it wasn't for the US military hunting down his terrorist ass. But why would it make a difference?

Furthermore, is this just a conspiracy theory or do you have verifiable proof that this is the case?

Forum List

Back