Saddam lied to his own generals

Flying Duck

Aug 8, 2004
In Saddam's prewar world, miscalculation and deception

By Bob Drogin and Mark Mazzetti
Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON — Shortly before the U.S. bombing and invasion of Iraq last year, Saddam Hussein gathered his top generals together to share what came to them as astonishing news: The weapons that the United States was launching a war to remove did not exist.

"There was plenty of surprise when Saddam said, 'Sorry guys, we don't have any' " weapons of mass destruction to use against the invading forces, according to a senior U.S. intelligence official.

The unexpected glimpse inside Saddam's inner circle in the days and weeks before the regime was toppled is contained in a new report by the CIA's Iraq Survey Group that was released yesterday, as well as Senate testimony yesterday by ISG head Charles Duelfer and from a briefing given to reporters by an official familiar with the interrogations of Saddam and his aides.

WOW! I'm surprised they would print this in the LA Times! Must be an editorial slip-up.

If Saddam's own generals did not even know that Saddam did not possess large quantities of WMDs, it's not hard to imagine how most worldwide intel orgs didn't know either.

Flying Duck said:
In Saddam's prewar world, miscalculation and deception

By Bob Drogin and Mark Mazzetti
Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON — Shortly before the U.S. bombing and invasion of Iraq last year, Saddam Hussein gathered his top generals together to share what came to them as astonishing news: The weapons that the United States was launching a war to remove did not exist.

"There was plenty of surprise when Saddam said, 'Sorry guys, we don't have any' " weapons of mass destruction to use against the invading forces, according to a senior U.S. intelligence official.

The unexpected glimpse inside Saddam's inner circle in the days and weeks before the regime was toppled is contained in a new report by the CIA's Iraq Survey Group that was released yesterday, as well as Senate testimony yesterday by ISG head Charles Duelfer and from a briefing given to reporters by an official familiar with the interrogations of Saddam and his aides.

WOW! I'm surprised they would print this in the LA Times! Must be an editorial slip-up.

If Saddam's own generals did not even know that Saddam did not possess large quantities of WMDs, it's not hard to imagine how most worldwide intel orgs didn't know either.

That's funny, almost Inquirerish. :D

Said1 said:
You mean all the oil-for-food money Euros.

yuppers--"hey guys, I gotta go count my Euros that were supposed to be for the humanitarian needs of the people. You stay here and fight the Americans with the WMDs that we don't have."

dilloduck said:
yuppers--"hey guys, I gotta go count my Euros that were supposed to be for the humanitarian needs of the people. You stay here and fight the Americans with the WMDs that we don't have."

Does anyone know what the Euro closed at? :D

Forum List

Back