sad

It's what happens core subjects are replaced by social engineering. There are only so many school hours in the day, when most of the tme is spent on getting along and sex ed, there's not much time left over for math and science. Do they teach English at all? Or, has that been wholly eliminated as racist?

The fact that Johnny can't read, doesn't surprise me at all. We've turned school into some prepatory classes for political correctness and for non-achievement. Think a nationwide system that mirrors the city of Detroit. A system that has been run solely by left-wing Democrats who place value on "feel good" education instead of teaching and now they don't understand why none of their students are learning anything. We're more concerned with providing classes for bullying than teaching geometry or science.

You want to fix education? First, get the federal government OUT of education. Do away with the Department of Education and all of the federal laws governing the classroom should be BURNED. Move any federal money that you want to give back to the states and warn them that if the administrator to teacher ratio gets over 5%, the money stops. Make sure that the states understand that education is ran at the LOCAL level by local school boards. Then you can institute vouchers for schools and give parents a CHOICE in where there students go to school. Live in a ghetto where the school is poor? If a parent can get a voucher to go to a different school, soon the hallways of the bad school will be empty. But of course, since the left-wing runs education, we couldn't do that because we'd upset the teachers unions. And you can't fire bad teachers anymore. We had one sell drugs to an undercover officer. She stayed on the payroll for over a year until she got to the end of appeals, etc.

If education in this country sucks, then the left-wing Democrats only need look in the mirror. It hasn't been conservatives who have run the public school system for the last 30 years. In those schools that have been run by conservatives (think the idea of charter schools here - man the unions HATE these), education actually occurs.

Have you looked at some of the texts and homework that was done by students in the 30's and 40's? Students today wouldn't have a clue how to do the same...

The fact that Johnny can't read, doesn't surprise me at all. We've turned school into some prepatory classes for political correctness and for non-achievement. Think a nationwide system that mirrors the city of Detroit. A system that has been run solely by left-wing Democrats who place value on "feel good" education instead of teaching and now they don't understand why none of their students are learning anything. We're more concerned with providing classes for bullying than teaching geometry or science.

You want to fix education? First, get the federal government OUT of education. Do away with the Department of Education and all of the federal laws governing the classroom should be BURNED. Move any federal money that you want to give back to the states and warn them that if the administrator to teacher ratio gets over 5%, the money stops. Make sure that the states understand that education is ran at the LOCAL level by local school boards. Then you can institute vouchers for schools and give parents a CHOICE in where there students go to school. Live in a ghetto where the school is poor? If a parent can get a voucher to go to a different school, soon the hallways of the bad school will be empty. But of course, since the left-wing runs education, we couldn't do that because we'd upset the teachers unions. And you can't fire bad teachers anymore. We had one sell drugs to an undercover officer. She stayed on the payroll for over a year until she got to the end of appeals, etc.

If education in this country sucks, then the left-wing Democrats only need look in the mirror. It hasn't been conservatives who have run the public school system for the last 30 years. In those schools that have been run by conservatives (think the idea of charter schools here - man the unions HATE these), education actually occurs.

Have you looked at some of the texts and homework that was done by students in the 30's and 40's? Students today wouldn't have a clue how to do the same...
Did you read the link I posted above? No, of course not. You believe what you want to believe because it confirms your bias.

:lol:

Passing score lowered for FCAT Writing exam | News - Home

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -
The Board of Education decided in an emergency meeting Tuesday to lower the passing grade on the writing portion of Florida's standardized test after preliminary results showed a drastic drop in student passing scores.

no wonder they can't hold an election

Maybe if we stopped teaching to the test then kids would be interested in REAL learning

A lot of people bitch and moan about 'teaching to the test' and all that, but many of the countries with which our students regularly compare unfavorably (though often a problematic comparison) place far more emphasis on far fewer and higher stakes testing than the weepers here could imagine.

I was watching a news bit about our current education issues here in Florida where they were showing an elementary school that receives good grades. They showed this kid and he said right on TV:

"I've been on the Honor Roll 4 times! Without my teacher, I wouldn't know nothing!"

You cannot make up stuff like that.

What do you expect from people who are 7?

A similar thing happened in the system in which I teach. Students formerly had to score a 93 to get an A. Some parents complained that it was too difficult for Little Precious to get an A and demanded that the grading scale be changed to a 10 point scale. The school board complied and now more Little Johnnies can get an A. It is another example of re-distribution.
For every 100 questions, let 10 of them come from reading assignments. That should separate the weenies from the roast. :lol::lol::lol:

My son took this test. I asked him if it was any different than prior years. He said no.

So something odd is going on.

i've never heard of anything quite like it. very strange

They changed the marking. From the link.

This is the first year students and schools will be assessed on the basis of tougher tests and scoring systems, expecting to result in more students failing the FCAT and lower school grades.

The writing exam was made more difficult by increasing expectations for proper punctuation, capitalization, spelling and sentence structure. The board also increased the passing grade from 3.5 to 4 on scale of zero to 6.

Officials in some school districts have been preparing parents for bad FCAT news by sending letters home with students explaining that the tests have become more difficult to pass.

Southern states with huge populations of legal and mostly illegal Hispanics just can't comply with standardized English requirements in schools. Why do you think the location of public bathrooms are posted in English and Spanish? They would piss in their pants otherwise.

so they made the test more difficult, but they lowered the passing grade?

wtf?

Apparently they made it more difficult but did not extend the amount of time to take the test.

And they lowered the passing grade AFTER hardly anyone passed it.

Southern states with huge populations of legal and mostly illegal Hispanics just can't comply with standardized English requirements in schools. Why do you think the location of public bathrooms are posted in English and Spanish? They would piss in their pants otherwise.

They use international boy/girl signs for restrooms.

Racist, much?

Forum List

Back