Sad today...

I think there are so many times, especially when we get older and our "Polly Anna" glasses are pretty beat up, we don't have all the stamina or elasticity that we used to have, and we no longer are convinced that we are immortal, that those days that there seems no way out do come around now and then. There isn't time to get it done. It isn't up to our expectations. A relationship seems too damaged to be repaired. We simply don't want to do it and feel guilty. We have a health problem that seems overwhelming. We are distressed with or afraid for a loved one. Etc.

But in the end, worry is the most useless emotion assigned to humankind, and being miserable about what we cannot change isn't far behind. I say grieve when grief is appropriate, be angry when there is something legitimately to be angry about and we can do something about it, give proper respect to conscience when we have done somebody wrong, and care about and send healing vibes to folks like Kiki who are hurting.

Otherwise assign thirty minutes a week to wallow in as much worry, self pity, frustration, resentment, etc. etc. etc. as we can pack into that thirty minutes and get it out of our system, then get on with life.

Kiki, hope everything comes up roses tomorrow morning. Up here, the days are growing shorter, time to replace lightbulbs that are out and keep plenty of light around you. It's ok to use extra lights in the fall and winter months. Light exposure plays a big part in happiness, and forgetting to put a couple of extra light bulbs in the room you're using can precipitate sadness in the seasons of shorter days. Plenty of light will brighten not just your room, but your spirits, too. If it's a sunny day, tear open the curtains! In the meantime, best thoughts and a little rep coming your way (if I have any left, of course). :)

TN_lightbulb.jpg
+
TN_lightbulb.jpg

~ May sunshine and goodness follow you the whole winter long ~ :)

Last edited:
Somebody extremely close to me has been displaying odd behaviours. I believe we are looking at schizophrenia. Any attempt to suggest a little therapy is greeted with paranoia and claims that I am a master manipulator. I've been dealing with what I would describle as a rapid decline over six months and don't know how to manage this alone.

It's best that you don't manage it alone. You need a lot of support. The best thing you can do for your dear one is to take really good care of yourself.

It helps to have lots of kind, listening friends who will allow you to feel all the myriad emotions you feel and who won't judge you for it.

There is no wrong way to feel. I don't know where you live or what your relationship is to this loved one.

I'm going to now read all the posts here and see if there is anything else I can offer. It's kind of like your own sad places need company too. It's as if you could go inside, and find the hurt, and sit beside it with your arms around your own inner self. Befriending the place that feels helpless, and scared for your loved one. The place that misses how your loved one used to be. The place that has no idea how to help. Being with those places inside, with unconditional kindness and welcoming. As it you were going to say, "there's room for you, too."

May you find a way to skillfully benefit yourself and your loved one in this time of great need. We're all pulling for you.

sky

Last edited:
Poetry always helps me when I'm sad. Here's one by Mary Oliver:

The Journey

One day you finally knew

what you had to do, and began,

though the voices around you

kept shouting

their bad advice--

though the whole house

began to tremble

and you felt the old tug

at your ankles.

"Mend my life!"

each voice cried.

But you didn't stop.

You knew what you had to do,

though the wind pried

with its stiff fingers

at the very foundations,

though their melancholy

was terrible.

It was already late

enough, and a wild night,

and the road full of fallen

branches and stones.

But little by little,

as you left their voices behind,

the stars began to burn

through the sheets of clouds,

and there was a new voice

which you slowly

recognized as your own,

that kept you company

as you strode deeper and deeper

into the world,

determined to do

the only thing you could do--

determined to save

the only life you could save.

Somebody extremely close to me has been displaying odd behaviours. I believe we are looking at schizophrenia. Any attempt to suggest a little therapy is greeted with paranoia and claims that I am a master manipulator. I've been dealing with what I would describle as a rapid decline over six months and don't know how to manage this alone.

Don't be too quick to surmise 'odd behaviors' are schizophrenia. It could be something else entirely. The age of onset for schizophrenia is adolescence to mid 20s. And it isn't diagnosed quickly. Usually the diagnosis is made over the course of several psychotic episodes. You don't mention the age of this person, but it could be drug use, as many drugs will cause similar symptoms, even when one is coming off them. A change in mental status could mean other things such as delirium, brain lesion or tumor, drug abuse, stroke, porphyria, dementia of the person is elderly. Visual hallucinations usually mean some kind of structural brain problem secondary to accident, tumor, ventricular changes, or tumor on the hypothalamus. The list can go on. I think most anyone would be defensive if confronted about 'odd behaviors' and told they might be schizophrenic. If you absolutely cannot get the person to accept help and he/she becomes dangerous to self or others, then involuntary commitment is the last option. Most family members don't want to have to be the heavy and call the police, but in order to commit a person a clinician has to swear out an affidavit he/she has actually seen the person. You can go to the judge yourself which may or may not get you anywhere, but if it does, it will still involve the police if the person is dangerous. Good luck. I hope this turns out favorably for you and the person you mentioned.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY_6b4-N9Uo]Beatles - Ticket To Ride (1965) from "HELP!" - YouTube[/ame]

You're feeling sad and helpless over someone you care about kiki. That you can ask for some softness and concern when you are caring for another is a strength. You end up stronger for both them and you. Clearly we have different black days and different needs for those days.

My dog and I had the best beach hike yesterday. I obtained a referral and talked with our subject. The response was surprisingly positive - great first step.

Thank you for all the support and input. It truly does help.

Kiki

Forum List

Back