Sad news for my old unit.....

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
During my stint in the Army, my time in Korea was one of my memorable. The unit I served in when I was in Korea was at Camp Greaves. They are now a Stryker Brigade out of Ft. Lewis and stationed in Iraq. I have been a member of their yahoo site for a while now and I have been following their goings on while they are in Iraq. Today I noticed on their website that on 5 December one of their members was KIA. Here are the details from the site....
Many thanks to Melissa and Kristen for your calls today. I heard
from Chris today as well. He was with Kyle Eggers when he died.
This is what happened, as Chris tells it:

Chris was driving the humvee and Kyle was sitting beside him. They
heard a boom, the truck filled with dust, and he saw SSG Eggars
slumped next to him. Chris figured right away that he was gone.
Chris radioed for help and then asked the gunner if he was hurt. He
was, and needed help to get down into the truck. So they stopped,
with another truck that was with them, set up a perimeter and pulled
the gunner from the turret. Kyle was dead. Chris realized that he,
himself had a flesh wound in his thigh, but he was able to do
security while the medics worked on the gunner. The gunner took
shrapnel in his arms, legs, and side. His prognosis for recovery is
good, though. Chris's wound is not serious. Chris figures that
Kyle probably saved his life, taking the hits that Chris would have
gotten otherwise, sitting next to him.

The platoon is having a tough time with it. Chris says everyone
loved Kyle, he was a good friend to everyone. Chris does think that
Kyle died instantly and probably did not know what hit him.

I know we are all aching for Jenn. I just talked with her and she
told me how awful the visit from the army guys was last night. Her
mother is with her and Kyle's parents are on their way from Texas.
I'm not sure what we can do for her at this point, but if anyone has
any ideas.......

Sherri

The address for the family is listed on the site and I mailed them $500 today as a donation to their children's trust fund. I know we can't help the family of every soldier and I know that many of you might not be in a position to help them and I know that this is just one of many, but because of my "link" to the unit I wanted to do something. If anybody else would like to send a couple of bucks, let me know and I can email you the address.

freeandfun1 said:
During my stint in the Army, my time in Korea was one of my memorable. The unit I served in when I was in Korea was at Camp Greaves. They are now a Stryker Brigade out of Ft. Lewis and stationed in Iraq. I have been a member of their yahoo site for a while now and I have been following their goings on while they are in Iraq. Today I noticed on their website that on 5 December one of their members was KIA. Here are the details from the site....

The address for the family is listed on the site and I mailed them $500 today as a donation to their children's trust fund. I know we can't help the family of every soldier and I know that many of you might not be in a position to help them and I know that this is just one of many, but because of my "link" to the unit I wanted to do something. If anybody else would like to send a couple of bucks, let me know and I can email you the address.

How very tragic. I can truly sympathize and empathize. My old unit (the oone I retired from) has lost 7 members since last April; 3 KIA and 4 seriously wounded.

If anybody would like to post a message of sympathy to the family, the Yahoo Group for D Co., 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry is HERE. In the pictures section there is a pic of SSG Eggers and his three boys. Following their Group makes the war in Iraq more "real". It gives you a connection to it that the news can't.

My sympathies too. We must never think of our troops as just "numbers" out there.

Thanks to all our troops and God bless them and their families. Thanks Free.

Forum List

Back