Sad Day

Such a very sad feeling this thread had left me with. The focus of this administration has been on free everything and higher taxes, than on the economy and jobs. My deepest empathy for all of those who have lost their souls, to one who wants to own them.

Aqua*

Except taxes are down for 95% of the country.

Try again. :thup:

Yeah...when your unemployed your taxes do go down...to nothing.

Actually, that's not completely true.

When you're unemployed, you still pay taxes on the unemployment benefits (state AND federal)

---it's just that you're being taxed to death on *next to NOTHING*, which unemployment benefits are. Not even enough to pay rent and eat...and the state and Unca Sam want their cut to.

Carry on. ;)

Today was the last day for 2/3 of the 200 employees where I work. The company I work for is closing the downhole tool manufacturing plant here because of "the global economic slowdown and tough times in the energy industry" brought about by the anti-American Energy producer policies of the Obama Regime.

I feel your pain. The engineering department, where I work, went from 18 to 10. Hours for those in manufacturing were reduced to 16 hours "A WEEK". Everyone on salary had their salaries cut, but not their hours.

But things have improved. Hours have been restored to 40 for manufacturing and the pay cuts have been rescinded. But there is still a lot of tension. The economy could still worsen.

I'm so thankful we have Obama as president. Imagine if John McCain had been allowed to continue the disastrous Republican policies that put us in this hole?

You're an idiot.

You shouldn't be thankful for Obama.

You should be thankful you STILL HAVE A JOB. Meat once or twice a month (bologna only) is NO way to live.

About 10% of America is out of work, many more than a year....do the math, rocket scientist! :rolleyes:

Such a very sad feeling this thread had left me with. The focus of this administration has been on free everything and higher taxes, than on the economy and jobs. My deepest empathy for all of those who have lost their souls, to one who wants to own them.

Aqua*

Yet idiots like you dont understand that the top 5% whom are being killed by Obama taxes own these huge companies that are laying people off.

When was the last time a poor man gave you a job?

Today was the last day for 2/3 of the 200 employees where I work. The company I work for is closing the downhole tool manufacturing plant here because of "the global economic slowdown and tough times in the energy industry" brought about by the anti-American Energy producer policies of the Obama Regime.
A company that can't ride out the recession probably should have never started to begin with.

I wonder how many of the whiners buy American or support companies that pay a living wage? It always strikes me as hypocritical when a republican, conservative or libertarian complain about job loss when the free market is the church for many of them. After Reagan destroyed Unions and removed worker rights, we have been heading toward third world status. Clinton didn't do much better as he too bought into the free market utopian nonsense. Jobs under Obama have improved greatly but America has lost her industrial base over the worship of cheap. Reagan and the Bushs lost more jobs than anyone except the GD - tell me why?

"The Republican economy in the 21st century has been unable to create net new jobs for Americans except for low wage domestic services such as waitresses, bartenders, retail clerks and hospital orderlies."

Paul Craig Roberts: The Mother of All Messes

"Republican deregulation brought about fraud in mortgage lending and dangerous financial instruments which have collapsed the housing market, leaving a million or more homeowners facing foreclosure. The financial system is in disarray and might collapse from insolvency."

'Offshoring as an Ethical Issue' by Robert A. Schultz

"Removal of jobs from one country to another to exploit lower paid workers tends to raise objections from those whose jobs are removed. However, historically, such jobs have tended to be low-wage, low-skill jobs, and the people holding them have typically not been able to mount effective resistance. Recently, highly skilled, highly paid IT jobs have begun to be exported from the United States, and although some of the questions raised are the same as for the earlier low-wage jobs, there are some different considerations.

What are the relevant ethical considerations involved in exporting jobs to exploit lower wages? In certain circumstances, there seems to be nothing wrong with this practice. If, for example, the currency exchange rate makes work done in the U.S. cheaper than work done in France, but otherwise the standards of living of the workers in the two countries are comparable, it is hard to see an ethical issue here. This seems to be a form of arbitrage on labor prices. "Arbitrage" is defined as buying the currently relatively low-priced commodity and selling the currently relatively high-priced commodity in the expectation that the market will correct one or both prices. In liquid markets, it serves a scavenger function to even out price disparities. For example, New York-London gold arbitrage is a recognized function performed by some firms. They buy the cheaper gold and sell it into the more expensive market. The net effect is to reduce or eliminate price disparities. It is a sort of benign communication function in a market economy, helping to even out prices consistently throughout markets.

Although offshoring has some of the features of arbitrage, it does not seem to have all the relevant features that make arbitrage a benign, healthy function of a market economy. The most important difference is that the "commodity" subject to arbitrage in offshoring is labor. In a true arbitrage situation, the commodity's location does not change the nature of the commodity, and this is why price differences in gold are simply fluctuations due to market functioning. But it makes a big difference where labor is located. The whole point of offshoring jobs is precisely that we don't want to move laborers from India or China to the United States, because then we would have to pay them prevailing U.S. wages. For offshoring to work, we must take advantage of a social context with prevailing lower wages. Offshoring is in fact a new ethical problem brought about by the availability-at-any-location feature of information technology. By the use of IT, we can take advantage of social contexts with prevailing lower wages when the relevant features of the job can be performed great distances away."

Last edited:
A company that can't ride out the recession probably should have never started to begin with.

That is THE MOST un thought out thing I have ever seen anyone fucking say on the political boards. You have surpassed rdean!

:clap2:

Last edited:

I guess we'd all be walking, keeping our money under our mattresses and we'd ALL be uninsured in any way then.

So far the US Government, via the US Taxpayer, as well as other sources of funding, have bailed out these companies during the recession (just to name a few):

2008 - The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc.
2008 - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
2008 - The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. bailed out by the federal government and Berkshire Hathaway
2008 - Morgan Stanley bailed out by The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
2008-2009 - American International Group, Inc. multiple times
2008 - Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008[16]
2008 - Citigroup Inc.
2008 - General Motors Corporation and Chrysler LLC- though not technically a bailout, a bridge loan was given to the auto manufacturers by the U.S. government, this is referred to by most as a bailout
2008 - Fortis Bank
2009 - Bank of America to help it absorb losses that were much greater than expected incurred by its buyout of Merrill Lynch
2009 - CIT Group $3 billion by its bondholders in a failed attempt to avoid a bankruptcy. This bailout only delayed the bankruptcy.

------------------

Any questions? Are you REALLY a teacher? :eusa_doh:

Scary thought, that.

I'm sorry Obama closed your tool company and your management had nothing to do with any of it. I think this was part of his plan from day 1. To put you out of business.

I'm sure a Republican would have had your company giving everyone bonuses by now

Last edited:

Crock of shit, old boy. Your shutdown is due to the policies that preceded President Obama. And we are about to put on another crew, because of increases in orders. And will be given raises this year, regular and merit.

Business is not good yet, and there will still be people looking for work, but things are looking far better than they did in the last few months of the previous administration.

No Second Great Republican Depression.

They had a Texas oilman on NPR a few months back. He said, "America's economy is based on flipping burgers and suing each other. That's not a sustainable program."

Aqua*

Yet idiots like you dont understand that the top 5% whom are being killed by Obama taxes own these huge companies that are laying people off.

When was the last time a poor man gave you a job?

Nobody ever gave me a job, idiot! I perform services for their money. If their money is inadaquete, I go somewhere else. If my services are, they get somebody else.

But I do understand where you are coming from. Without someone to "give" you Conservatives something, you would have nothing. After all, it is we in the Blue states that are subsidizing your lazy asses.

Well at least you have your priorities in line and know blaming Obushama will make everything okay.

You want to connect those dots for us?

Can you connect those dots back to Obama, or will that trail of policies and laws actually take you back through one administration after the other regardless of political party?

Your partisan musings on the problem of free trade and internatiinal business (which we obviously both agree exists) are ignorant as hell, lad.

Link?

Aqua*

What country? The US?

Prove it.

Forum List

Back