Sacrifice!! a lesson for us ALL.

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
"Baby, i know that regardless of the circumstances, God is putting me exactly where he wants me for the time being. i know that that is hard to swallow, but it is the truth...." [Oct. 14, 2007]

Every morning, first thing, Melissa Haddad checked her e-mail for something from Pete. And every night, before turning in, she'd look one last time for one final note.

Half a world away, at his base in the Green Zone in Baghdad, 2nd Lt. Peter Burks did the same, across all those miles and all the time zones between them, sharing his thoughts with Missy, the woman he'd dreamed about for most of his life

Letters from soldier killed in Iraq reveal his love, faith | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Each day you and I wake up, and we take a breath and we come here to this place and talk and sometimes fight about our views on things. These are the freedoms we exercise each day and protected and sometime paid for in the highest price by people like Lt. Burks. So when we stop to think about who's side holds the high moral ground on supporting the troops for a political reason. stop for a moment and think of people like Lt. Burks and Missy, real Americans that lived this everyday. Their love for one another gave them hope and sustained them. So for our part we should honor the sacrifice of people like Lt. Burks and many of his fellow soilders, sailors, airmen, and marines by not using them as a political tool to prop up one candidate or the other but rather, we should quietly respect the what men and women like Lt. Burks and Missy have given so much for us to be Free.

index.html

I hate to say this, because the sacrifice those boys and girls are making is very real, but I do NOT think they are defending MY freedom.

I hate to say this, because the sacrifice those boys and girls are making is very real, but I do NOT think they are defending MY freedom.

Well edit your of course entitled to your opinion on the matter but, each young man and woman that joins the military takes an oath and makes a commitment to their country that goes far beyond what the average American is willing to do. In a lot of cases many of these people are in combat regardless of who sent them there and why , they go without question because deep down they have a deep abiding love and belief in their country. The oath they take is one that says they will defend the very same constitution that you and I exercise each and everyday. So while in a direct way , because a person is not at their doorstep fending off an enemy, they are indeed fighting,bleeding, and in some cases giving all of themselves to keep those that would take those freedoms from you from doing so. Most Americans are not aware of the simple things the Military does, the Navy sailor who has spent 20 years , year after year away from his or her family deployed on a ballistic missile submarine or the spec-ops operator that has died in the desert defending his friends in order to capture someone who has killed 100's of Americans. They are there, and I understand you are entitled to your opinion and am not trying to change it, but sometimes especially these days it's hard to seperate the reasons why they are there from the basic reasons why it is they do what they do.

Well edit your of course entitled to your opinion on the matter but, each young man and woman that joins the military takes an oath and makes a commitment to their country that goes far beyond what the average American is willing to do. In a lot of cases many of these people are in combat regardless of who sent them there and why , they go without question because deep down they have a deep abiding love and belief in their country. The oath they take is one that says they will defend the very same constitution that you and I exercise each and everyday. So while in a direct way , because a person is not at their doorstep fending off an enemy, they are indeed fighting,bleeding, and in some cases giving all of themselves to keep those that would take those freedoms from you from doing so. Most Americans are not aware of the simple things the Military does, the Navy sailor who has spent 20 years , year after year away from his or her family deployed on a ballistic missile submarine or the spec-ops operator that has died in the desert defending his friends in order to capture someone who has killed 100's of Americans. They are there, and I understand you are entitled to your opinion and am not trying to change it, but sometimes especially these days it's hard to seperate the reasons why they are there from the basic reasons why it is they do what they do.

:clap2:

I agree. This young man died for absolutely nothing.

Very sad..........................

Had I a dozen sons, each in my love alike, I had rather have eleven die nobly for their country, than one voluptuously surfeit out of action.
- William Shakespeare

*Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.*

You must be joking? died for nothing? you say that why? because you disagree for the reasons why they are there? A soldier follows orders and goes into harms way where his or her CIC orders them too. As I said to edit you are of course entitled to your opinion, but when you say a thing like that take into consideration your not making a judgement on the CIC that sent them there but the soldier themselves. Each and everyone one of these kids who did not come home died defending something they believed in, no MATTER how they met that end. the fact remains people in this country stand on the shoulders of the untold millions of Americans that have paid with their lives for the privledges that we enjoy. Some never got the chance to return home, some are in fields ,and deserts and deep in the ocean. but still they went. I am putting a picture of one such person here, he is a Navy Seal who received the Medal of Honor. These are the people that go and defend the rights you enjoy even if you don't realize it.

LTMichaelMurphy.jpg

Thats Lt. Michael Murphy and he is among the many that have died defending yours and my freedom and deserves the respect he and others have earned. When you say he and others died for nothing, you disrespect his memory and that of others just like him. While your entitled to your opinion, sometimes you need to take a moment and try and understand exactly who your opinion is directed at.

Any person who joins the service is a warrior. Sometimes the warriors get killed doing their duty. But that was their sworn oath and duty and are to be admired for their sacrifice.

That being said, the war in Iraq has "nothing" to do with any freedoms in America.

It is a senseless war being fought for economic averice and an extreme political agenda.

All Americans should be ashamed that we have wasted thousands of soilders lives following a sadistic and bankrupt political agenda.

History will record that these poor souls died for nothing in a totally useless war.

Any person who joins the service is a warrior. Sometimes the warriors get killed doing their duty. But that was their sworn oath and duty and are to be admired for their sacrifice.

That being said, the war in Iraq has "nothing" to do with any freedoms in America.

It is a senseless war being fought for economic averice and an extreme political agenda.

All Americans should be ashamed that we have wasted thousands of soilders lives following a sadistic and bankrupt political agenda.

History will record that these poor souls died for nothing in a totally useless war.

Do you know what we in the Military swear an oath to do? Your making a value judgement on the reasons for the War in Iraq and then projecting that judgement on the very same people who fight and die doing it. Everyone in the Military took the same oath, I took, guess what? it's not an oath to defend you presonally, it's an oath to defend the constitution. You do know what the constitution does don't you? So when the American Military are deployed regradless of what you may think, they are carrying out that oath. I am always amazed at people who don't realize the sacrifice the military makes for them and then projects their political views on the hard working men and women in the military. As for your last statement, I would suggest you go to "The Wall" and yell out as loud as you can in Washington D.C. that all those 50,000 plus names on there died for nothing and see what kind of response you get. A lot of people like, you thought the same way when I was in the Navy, and can tell you this, your view is one that is based only on your poltical feelings towards the war and not the warfighters. So all you do is continue to project those feelings onto the warfighter. It's been done before but as the years go bye, you woo will come to realize that the young men and women that have given so much, for you and I gave it so even you can believe that they died for nothing.

Do you know what we in the Military swear an oath to do? Your making a value judgement on the reasons for the War in Iraq and then projecting that judgement on the very same people who fight and die doing it. Everyone in the Military took the same oath, I took, guess what? it's not an oath to defend you presonally, it's an oath to defend the constitution. You do know what the constitution does don't you? So when the American Military are deployed regradless of what you may think, they are carrying out that oath. I am always amazed at people who don't realize the sacrifice the military makes for them and then projects their political views on the hard working men and women in the military. As for your last statement, I would suggest you go to "The Wall" and yell out as loud as you can in Washington D.C. that all those 50,000 plus names on there died for nothing and see what kind of response you get. A lot of people like, you thought the same way when I was in the Navy, and can tell you this, your view is one that is based only on your poltical feelings towards the war and not the warfighters. So all you do is continue to project those feelings onto the warfighter. It's been done before but as the years go bye, you woo will come to realize that the young men and women that have given so much, for you and I gave it so even you can believe that they died for nothing.

what in the constitution is being protected by us being in iraq?

I do think the sacrafices made by these soldiers are amazing. I wouldn't be able to do it. I think they go in with the best intentions and they DO go in fighting for the safety and freedom of Americans and the world.

Their mission, unfortunately, has been clouded by an administration that built that mission on lies and that has colored the view many have of this war.

I don't think it should color the view people have of those soldiers who serve honorably though.

what in the constitution is being protected by us being in iraq?

Let me see where to begin with this one, I have another person that likes to project I see, so here we go. The President of the United States is the CIC of the US Military, each person in the Military takes an oath to defend the constitution and as such the President being empowered by the constitution and congerss also empowered by the constitution to go to Iraq the Military was lawfully ordered to deploy to Iraq. So simply by following the order to depoly to Iraq and any order thereafter from the unified chain of command the soldier under the constitution is therefor defending it. Your contention is which is wrong by the way, that because George Bush sent the Military there for the wrong reason the Military is somehow not defending the constitution which is completely wrong, and show your projecting your opinion upon the soldier that is following a constitutionally lawful order. If you disagree with the reasons for being Iraq. so be it, it does not mean that the soldier is not performing his or her oath, the moment they put on the uniform they started doing that.

I took that very same oath - to defend the Constitution from all enemies, at home and abroad. I think that means defending the Constitution from Bush, Rove, Cheney, Halliburton, BP, oil companies, multi-national conglomerates, etc., etc. I served my country during Desert Storm (Iraq pt. 1). Those who died then, died defending our oil interests. Those who die in Iraq now, die defending the political agenda of the Bush administration and the business interests of oil companies and defense contractors. All Americans, including the liberals, support our troops and that's why we want them out of Iraq. They didn't die for nothing, but they aren't defending our country. Let's just get that straight. Let's send them into a fight worth fighting, like the fight in Afghanistan, where they can lay down their lives for something worth dying for: the lives of innocent people, and not just the lives of US citizens, and the freedoms of US citizens, but the for the betterment of the world.

Let me see where to begin with this one, I have another person that likes to project I see, so here we go. The President of the United States is the CIC of the US Military, each person in the Military takes an oath to defend the constitution and as such the President being empowered by the constitution and congerss also empowered by the constitution to go to Iraq the Military was lawfully ordered to deploy to Iraq. So simply by following the order to depoly to Iraq and any order thereafter from the unified chain of command the soldier under the constitution is therefor defending it. Your contention is which is wrong by the way, that because George Bush sent the Military there for the wrong reason the Military is somehow not defending the constitution which is completely wrong, and show your projecting your opinion upon the soldier that is following a constitutionally lawful order. If you disagree with the reasons for being Iraq. so be it, it does not mean that the soldier is not performing his or her oath, the moment they put on the uniform they started doing that.

talk about projecting. i asked a question and you think im against the soldiers.

and i do disagree with why we're in iraq. but let me get this straight, you think the war is not meaningless because the soldiers are following orders? you must have another reason for leaving our soldiers there to fight and die.

i have an enormous amount of respect for what they do. i would be in the military myself if i didnt have a bad back. but it is because i respect the troops that i want them out of iraq.

I do think the sacrafices made by these soldiers are amazing. I wouldn't be able to do it. I think they go in with the best intentions and they DO go in fighting for the safety and freedom of Americans and the world.

Their mission, unfortunately, has been clouded by an administration that built that mission on lies and that has colored the view many have of this war.

I don't think it should color the view people have of those soldiers who serve honorably though.

There is a huge difference though between Mission Silence and what a soldier, sailor, airmen, or marine fights for. If anyone tells me that a member of the military that fought for his or her country and gave their lives. and that they died for nothing, then they are wrong , period,!! All these sacrifices made by the members of the military are made for each and everyone of us, regardless of the Mission. I saw the same thing during Vietnam, many people hated the mission and projected that on the men fighting the war, it was wrong then and it's still wrong now.

I took that very same oath - to defend the Constitution from all enemies, at home and abroad. I think that means defending the Constitution from Bush, Rove, Cheney, Halliburton, BP, oil companies, multi-national conglomerates, etc., etc. I served my country during Desert Storm (Iraq pt. 1). Those who died then, died defending our oil interests. Those who die in Iraq now, die defending the political agenda of the Bush administration and the business interests of oil companies and defense contractors. All Americans, including the liberals, support our troops and that's why we want them out of Iraq. They didn't die for nothing, but they aren't defending our country. Let's just get that straight. Let's send them into a fight worth fighting, like the fight in Afghanistan, where they can lay down their lives for something worth dying for: the lives of innocent people, and not just the lives of US citizens, and the freedoms of US citizens, but the for the betterment of the world.

:clap2:

talk about projecting. i asked a question and you think im against the soldiers.

and i do disagree with why we're in iraq. but let me get this straight, you think the war is not meaningless because the soldiers are following orders? you must have another reason for leaving our soldiers there to fight and die.

i have an enormous amount of respect for what they do. i would be in the military myself if i didnt have a bad back. but it is because i respect the troops that i want them out of iraq.

If you had read what I wrote, then you would have seen that I was simply telling you that men and women in the Military are fighting and dying defending the constitution and why the constitution applies in Iraq and everywhere anyone in the Military goes . Now if you want to know what I think of the mission thats different, the reasons for iraq War I completely disagree with and the Bush Admisnistration was completely off the mark for getting into the war. Regardless of that however, we are there now, we have committed lives and resources to Iraq and to simply say, "well we should not have come here lets go" would be a disaster. Until the job is done it would hurt this country deeply to withdraw from Iraq and ceed it to elements that would turn it into an extremist state with access to large sums of petro dollars. I unlike a lot of people don't sit here and don't rehash the "well we shouldn't be there" line because serves nothing or no one. Would I like to have this Iraq War over, of course I would as anyone would.

If you had read what I wrote, then you would have seen that I was simply telling you that men and women in the Military are fighting and dying defending the constitution and why the constitution applies in Iraq and everywhere anyone in the Military goes . Now if you want to know what I think of the mission thats different, the reasons for iraq War I completely disagree with and the Bush Admisnistration was completely off the mark for getting into the war. Regardless of that however, we are there now, we have committed lives and resources to Iraq and to simply say, "well we should not have come here lets go" would be a disaster. Until the job is done it would hurt this country deeply to withdraw from Iraq and ceed it to elements that would turn it into an extremist state with access to large sums of petro dollars. I unlike a lot of people don't sit here and don't rehash the "well we shouldn't be there" line because serves nothing or no one. Would I like to have this Iraq War over, of course I would as anyone would.

i did read what you wrote, and my response was valid. you say they are upholding the constitution simply because they are following orders. and that means the war is meaningful. im sorry, but that is rediculous. and who decides when the job is done? the iraqis? they already want us out. the president? he lied to get us there. the military? that would give them too much power w/o oversight. congress? they are so obsessed with making the other party look bad to accomplish anything meaningful.

i did read what you wrote, and my response was valid. you say they are upholding the constitution simply because they are following orders. and that means the war is meaningful. im sorry, but that is rediculous. and who decides when the job is done? the iraqis? they already want us out. the president? he lied to get us there. the military? that would give them too much power w/o oversight. congress? they are so obsessed with making the other party look bad to accomplish anything meaningful.

Let me try a different approach, I don't believe I said that the WAR itself was meaningful or that a soldier that follows a constitutionally lawful order is somehow making the war meaningful. What I did say, is that when someone is taking an OATH to defend the constitution then do so by the simple act of following an order or for that matter when a soldier give their lives in comabt no MATTER what the reasons for that WAR were they are still defending that oath and therefor the constitution. As far as who decides when the job is done if your asking me that, I believe it's a matter for the Military to make a recommendation to the President that situation is secure, then the President should issue an order for the Military to withdraw. It is very difficult sometimes for people to seperate their feelings on the war from the warfighters and if you took a step back then would see, my position is not one that validates the War but the Warfighter.

If you had read what I wrote, then you would have seen that I was simply telling you that men and women in the Military are fighting and dying defending the constitution
No, they are Not defending the Constitution by fighting in Iraq.

Also, an Enlisted man's oath is different than an Officer's oath.

Only the Officer's oath pledges to defend the Constitution.

Last edited:

Partially well stated, but you fucked it up with the " Bush, Rove, Cheney, Halliburton " crap......

Forum List

Back