Sabado Gigante. How Many Have Even Heard About it?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City

The longest-running show in TV history! 53 years. It ended up being tied with ABC's 20/20 for the Saturday overnights @ 0.7 rating. (I haven't figured out how to compute that for the estimated 115 million tv sets) And this rating does not cover all the countries that tuned in over Televisa which covers Central and South America. My own guess is that the final show achieved a viewership equal to a Super Bowl or a World Cup Soccer match.

Don Fernando, born Mario Kreutzberger, in Chile, has become more than just a variety show host. He's interviewed some very important people and is responsible for many Latino stars getting big boosts in their careers.

My problem with him is his Chilean accent which is close to someone speaking Spanish while eating tortillas or frijoles.

The full story with other pictures @ President Obama And First Lady Pay Tribute To Don Francisco's "Sabado Gigante" and find out more about the show @ Sábado Gigante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The criticism of SG is that it's gotten sleazy, cheap and pandering. In other words it's become television.

It was inevitable -- you either go for quality or you go for audience. Can't have both. SG chose the latter.

Forum List

Back