S&W Bodyguard

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I haven't bought a new weapon in a long time but I am seriously considering this little .380
The reviews were good. Does anyone have any experience with one?

smith-wesson-bodyguard-380.jpg

I haven't bought a new weapon in a long time but I am seriously considering this little .380

I carry a Ruger .380 in my shirt pocket. A bit small for my hand but it's accurate and packs a punch.

.380s are ok for women, or someone that is on a budget and really cannot buy anything better.

The .380 round comes with .380 +P which is ( 380 + P ammo ) essentially a 9mm handgun.

To put it in some perspective - the .357 Magnum is a .357 diameter bullet in a case - and the .38 Special is a .357 diameter bullet in a shorter case than the .357. Same bullet but two different case lengths ; Two different velocities - energy and overall ballistics.

The .380 is a shortened 9mm - .355 diameter bullet. Same bullet but two different cases > the 9mm bullet in a shorter case..... equals the .380

The bullet has speed, which is where its big pro is, but light bullets in this caliber have a penetration problem.

You can get a "J" Frame .38 Special revolver from some gunshops, or internet sites ( Gunsamerica.com - Gunbroker.com ). If you buy from an internet site, you have to have a gunshop owner order the handgun for you.

.38 caliber handguns are good defensive handguns, and can be reloaded quickly with a speed loader. "J" Frames are light, and can be carried in a front, or side cargo pocket. I carried one for a long time while camping. And with the .38 Special - you have a better defensive firearm in my opinion.

Most lasers on handguns mark your location, and say out loud "Here I am, shoot at me". Especially those that have a single pulse beam from the gun to the target.....or bad guy.

A Smith& Wesson Bodyguard .380 is about $300.00 - $350.00

Smith & Wesson® Bodyguard® .380 Semiautomatic Pistol : Cabela's

S&W M&P Bodyguard 6+1 380ACP 2.75

Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 Semi-Auto Pistol | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

-----------------------------------------

My recommendation for you.

Taurus .38 Spl revolver = $269.00
TAURUS 85FS 38 SPECIAL free shipping - $269.99

Smith&Wesson "BodyGuard" .38 Special = $389.00
S&W Model 438 .38 Special +P 1.875" Barrel 5rd Black Exclusive - $389 (make an offer) (Free S/H on Firearms)

Other internet sites can be cheaper - or a dealer in your area will have better prices.

If you are set on a .380 I recommend a Glock. A bit more money, but worth it.

Glock 42 Review - A Deep Look at the .380 ACP Pistol

Video =

I am not a Glock model 42 fan, but that is me. Grip is too short and other issues I have with it - but it does fit some other peoples niche.

----------------------------------------------------------

.38 Spl pistol.

Video =

Shadow 355

I carry a Ruger .380 in my shirt pocket. A bit small for my hand but it's accurate and packs a punch.

At my house in Salzburg I have all my guns, shotguns, revolvers....the latter all Glock's, Glock has been very faithful to my whole family. We are all members of the IWÖ, this is our equivalent of American NRA.

I thought you might have a Glock yourself? This is why I post what I've just posted.

.380s are ok for women, or someone that is on a budget and really cannot buy anything better.

The .380 round comes with .380 +P which is ( 380 + P ammo ) essentially a 9mm handgun.

To put it in some perspective - the .357 Magnum is a .357 diameter bullet in a case - and the .38 Special is a .357 diameter bullet in a shorter case than the .357. Same bullet but two different case lengths ; Two different velocities - energy and overall ballistics.

The .380 is a shortened 9mm - .355 diameter bullet. Same bullet but two different cases > the 9mm bullet in a shorter case..... equals the .380

The bullet has speed, which is where its big pro is, but light bullets in this caliber have a penetration problem.

You can get a "J" Frame .38 Special revolver from some gunshops, or internet sites ( Gunsamerica.com - Gunbroker.com ). If you buy from an internet site, you have to have a gunshop owner order the handgun for you.

.38 caliber handguns are good defensive handguns, and can be reloaded quickly with a speed loader. "J" Frames are light, and can be carried in a front, or side cargo pocket. I carried one for a long time while camping. And with the .38 Special - you have a better defensive firearm in my opinion.

Most lasers on handguns mark your location, and say out loud "Here I am, shoot at me". Especially those that have a single pulse beam from the gun to the target.....or bad guy.

Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 Semi-Auto Pistol | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

S&W Model 438 .38 Special +P 1.875" Barrel 5rd Black Exclusive - $389 (make an offer) (Free S/H on Firearms)

Other internet sites can be cheaper - or a dealer in your area will have better prices.

Video =

I am not a Glock model 42 fan, but that is me. Grip is too short and other issues I have with it - but it does fit some other peoples niche.

.38 Spl pistol.

Video =

Shadow 355

OMG you were posting this at same time I was posting about my having Glock's, freaky stuff.

Video =

.38 Spl pistol.

Video =

Shadow 355

.380's are fine for anyone. They are small, lightweight, and easily concealed. I carry an HK 4 from time to time when I can't carry my primary. Revolvers are fine, but they are not as thin as a small auto so have problems of their own. Basically, use whatever the hell feels good to YOU.

At my house in Salzburg I have all my guns, shotguns, revolvers....the latter all Glock's, Glock has been very faithful to my whole family. We are all members of the IWÖ, this is our equivalent of American NRA.

I thought you might have a Glock yourself? This is why I post what I've just posted.
I have a Glock 17, S & W .38 Special and a Hi Standard .22 Magnum. All are badass.

I have a Glock 17, S & W .38 Special and a Hi Standard .22 Magnum. All are badass.

Excellent stuff! All people should have at least two guns, for self-protection, it makes sense....I think I'm a good shot, I blew head off pigeon that was sitting on grass, this because I don't like pigeons, filthy things.

Excellent stuff! All people should have at least two guns, for self-protection, it makes sense....I think I'm a good shot, I blew head off pigeon that was sitting on grass, this because I don't like pigeons, filthy things.
I have around 28 other rifles and shotguns that I inherited from my father, a grandfather and an uncle. The oldest rifle is a Model 1884 .45/70 and a Hughes of London 20 Gauge muzzle loading shotgun from the 1840-1860 era.My next door neighbor in Ft Worth has around 150 firearms. He is a gun collector.

Video =

I am not a Glock model 42 fan, but that is me. Grip is
too short and other issues I have with it - but it does fit some other peoples niche.

.38 Spl pistol.

Video =

Shadow 355

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with your first statement any harder. There is nothing "wrong" with a .380 - given the right ammunition. I wouldn't personally carry one - but my Wife does and I promise you this: I would NOT want to give her a hard time with hers. Her .380 (along with the Corbon ammo) will put someone's lights out, likkety split.

.380s are ok for women, or someone that is on a budget and

.380's are fine for anyone. They are small, lightweight, and easily concealed. I carry an HK 4 from time to time when I can't carry my primary. Revolvers are fine, but they are not as thin as a small auto so have problems of their own. Basically, use whatever the hell feels good to YOU.

I have never been a fan of revolvers, myself. I've seen a couple of guys hurt badly (one lost two fingers) from the side blast from a .38 revolver. Nasty stuff - you HAVE to be careful and, in a tense situation, you might forget and get your non-shooting hand a tad too close to the wheel.....

I have the Colt Mustang and it's a fine little gun. Of course there are bigger and better options but there always is. I have a S&W .44 magnum too but I ain't carrying it around unless I'm way back in the hills. Most are .45 though, My Colt Defender isn't much bigger than a 9mm.

Video =

.38 Spl pistol.

Video =

Shadow 355

I have an ongoing challenge for the smaller caliber naysayers, stand on the 25 yard line at the range and let me shoot them with a .22, .380 or Mac 9........ For some reason not a single one has taken me up on that challenge....... :lol:

I have a .45 and I like the idea of the .380 for carry when wearing shorts and a Tee Shirt
I do not have a 9mm I might take a look at one of course a .40 is always an option

.380s are ok for women, or someone that is on a budget and

I have never been a fan of revolvers, myself. I've seen a couple of guys hurt badly (one lost two fingers) from the side blast from a .38 revolver. Nasty stuff - you HAVE to be careful and, in a tense situation, you might forget and get your non-shooting hand a tad too close to the wheel.....

He didn't lose the two fingers from the side blast, he somehow got his fingers in front of the muzzle when he fired the revolver. I've seen it happen in competitions, fortunately without that catastrophic a result. I have a S&W Model 36 that I used to carry and it is absolutely fine to carry but the accuracy is not so great with the small snubby's.

Actually, he did lose two fingers from the "side-blast". I know, I know, until it actually happened, I didn't think it possible either. I never knew the amount of energy that is released at the side of the wheel, but amazingly, it is.

He lost one finger at the range and after a couple of surgeries, lost the other. Let me look around, I "think" I might find something on the side blast...

Leave it up to good old hickok45!

I understand. When this first happened, I was CERTAIN that something other than "side-blast" had happened, but the range had cameras. We reviewed the tape (it was the 80s) and sure enough, the guy had taken a weird hold on the frame - it put his palm and fingers directly at the side of the wheel on the .38 At first, I was certain that the barrel had exploded - but the weapon was intact. Go figure. But over the years, I have come to have a "healthy" respect for revolvers...

I understand the draw of these pocket guns. I carried a Kel-Tec P32 for years. It is so light you forget it is there. But while a .380 packs a little more punch than a .32 auto, both calibers cause me serious concern based on articles I have read about these rounds penetration capabilities. I now will only carry a pocket pistol as a secondary, or backup, weapon. I think a small lightweight .38 special is a much better choice for light carry with decent stopping power. But to each his or her own. Opinions vary widely.

Forum List

Back