S&P Cuts U.S. Outlook

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Finally getting around to acknowledging the obvious, the S&P has reduced it's outlook for the U.S. to NEGATIVE.

Get ready for higher interest rates on the debt, and an even bigger (Unexpected!) Obama deficit as a result.

As Paul Ryan noted, this is the most obvious financial crisis we have ever faced. Spending and debt are out of control. The official financial report from the U.S. Treasury (based on GAAP accounting, instead of cash accounting) shows a net present value of ($30T) on unfunded entitlement liabilities. 60% of current federal spending is on these programs, and it's going to get worse.

We either fix this now - or watch the destruction of the dollar, and a permanent shift to a moribund low growth, high unemployment Euro-Socialst style economy.

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services Inc. cut its outlook on the U.S. to negative, increasing the likelihood of a potential downgrade from its triple-A rating, as the path from large budget deficits and rising government debt remains unclear.

"More than two years after the beginning of the recent crisis, U.S. policy makers have still not agreed on how to reverse recent fiscal deterioration or address longer-term fiscal pressures," S&P credit analyst Nikola G. Swann said. He said the rating agency puts the chance of a U.S. downgrade within two years at least one-in-three.

The move comes amid continued hand-wringing over the balance sheet of the world's largest economy and disagreement among politicians on how to address fiscal woes as economic growth remains tepid.

S&P Cuts U.S. Ratings Outlook to Negative - WSJ.com

Last edited:
Here it comes. Keep pointing fingers across the isle folks, and nothing gets done. When will everyone realize it's both parites and the "Political class" that's caused this over the years?

This is actually a GOOD thing, right? Soon, we will not be able to borrow anymore money to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Right?

Please explain how your comment relates to the Obama Administration's desire to increase the Debt Ceiling, and how much a downgrade will affect the cost of doing so.

Go ahead and ignore this if you wish.

The markets don't like it. And buyers of U.S. debt will certainly use this to demand higher interest rates, which will worsen the deficit.

Go ahead and ignore this if you wish.

The markets don't like it. And buyers of U.S. debt will certainly use this to demand higher interest rates, which will worsen the deficit.

This is why they will raise the debt ceiling. Not doing so could precipitate a crisis that would make 2008 look like a cakewalk.

Perversely, investors are buying US bonds. 0-5 year debt is trading 3-7 higher, the 10 year is flat while the 30 year is off 18.

100 years of progressive nanny statism.. and here we are. It's over folks. It's collapsing under it's own weight.

S&P also rated the junk NINJA mortgage packeges as low risk.
So why should we believe them now?

Gee lets see hmmm I don't know how about this

BRICS

Man oh man that's going to be some legacy fitting of the 'ONE'

Of course we will be in second place within a decade or a bit over.
As I have said for several years, our golden age is over.
Just get over it and live with what we have.

Neither Jimmy Carter nor George Bush caused the USA to get downgraded. This proves that Obama is the worst president in my lifetime.

S&P also rated the junk NINJA mortgage packeges as low risk.
So why should we believe them now?

BRICS

Well it's pretty clear that our Administration has no concept of how to live with what we have. 5 trillion in 2 two years say's it all

BRICS

Well it's pretty clear that our Administration has no concept of how to live with what we have. 5 trillion in 2 two years say's it all

It is not just the administration, it is the congress and the people as well.

A study by Freddie Mac, confirming earlier Federal Reserve and FDIC studies. The study found that African-Americans with annual incomes of $65,000-$75,000 have on average worse credit records than whites making under $25,000. This showed that the difficulty in qualifying for home loans & credit was not because of race but bad credit records. Accordingly, the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas entitled a paper "Red Lining or Red Herring?"

Last edited:
...Of course we will be in second place within a decade or a bit over.

Maybe all is not lost. Yet. From L.A. Times Business:

"The United States kept its AAA rating, but the downgrade means that S&P analysts believe there is at least a 33% chance that the agency will have to lower its credit rating on U.S. debt in the next two years."

Here it comes. Keep pointing fingers across the isle folks, and nothing gets done. When will everyone realize it's both parites and the "Political class" that's caused this over the years?

I'd say we need to point the finger directly at Obama....

In explaining its decision to put the U.S. credit rating on negative watchm S&P said the U.S. deficit "ballooned" to more than 11% of GDP in 2009 from a range of 2% to 5% from 2003 to 2008.

Please explain how your comment relates to the Obama Administration's desire to increase the Debt Ceiling, and how much a downgrade will affect the cost of doing so.

You wanna REALLY see a downgrade on both our debt and economic outlooks? Vote against raising the debt ceiling.

It'll be Dow 5000, Mortgage rates of 15% and a freeze in the credit markets by summer - and Republicans will have their wish.

You wanna REALLY see a downgrade on both our debt and economic outlooks? Vote against raising the debt ceiling.

It'll be Dow 5000, Mortgage rates of 15% and a freeze in the credit markets by summer - and Republicans will have their wish.

What's the alternative....a worthless dollar....?

It is not just the administration, it is the congress and the people as well.

You are of course correct the blame belongs not really to congress and any particular administration. The blame rests solely on our shoulders we've watched this crap take place now for many year's we've pointed and asked if something shouldn't e done we and I stress WE allowed this crap to reach were we are today

Forum List

Back