S&P 500 has its highest close in 4 years

The nation’s benchmark stock index closed at its highest level in nearly four years Friday, marking a milestone in the long, slow climb from recession that could help recalibrate a presidential campaign dominated by the economy.

The S&P 500-stock index closed at 1,365.74, its highest level since June 2008, when the nation was on the brink of the financial collapse that triggered the most severe recession since the Great Depression. The Dow Jones industrial average also topped 13,000 early Friday before closing at 12,982.95. The Dow hasn’t closed above the psychologically signifcant 13,000 level since May 2008, and hit a low of 6,547 on March 9, 2009.

With rising stocks can go political fortunes - The Washington Post

The Dow Jones Industrial Average will be "psychologically significant" when it hits 14,167. That was the high on Oct 9, 2007.

If the President campaigns on the market being up 5000 points since his election......is that "psychologically significant"?

The nation’s benchmark stock index closed at its highest level in nearly four years Friday, marking a milestone in the long, slow climb from recession that could help recalibrate a presidential campaign dominated by the economy.

The S&P 500-stock index closed at 1,365.74, its highest level since June 2008, when the nation was on the brink of the financial collapse that triggered the most severe recession since the Great Depression. The Dow Jones industrial average also topped 13,000 early Friday before closing at 12,982.95. The Dow hasn’t closed above the psychologically signifcant 13,000 level since May 2008, and hit a low of 6,547 on March 9, 2009.

Must be because Obama doubled the capital gains tax...wait, he couldn't get that done, and if he did, the stock market would have gone to hell in a hand basket.

LOL. 1950's, one of the greatest expansionary periods in our nations history. What was the tax rates on the wealthy then? Did that keep us from doing one of the greatest infrastructure projects in history, the Interstate Highway System?

You mindless sheep know so little of the real history of this nation that you will buy into any lie that the Obese Junkie and the rest of the rightwingnut noise machine creates.

Here is a bit of history for someone who doesn't know who paid for the Interstate Highway system. Hint: It wasn't the tax rates on the wealthy!

The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627), was enacted on June 29, 1956, when Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law. With an original authorization of 25 billion dollars for the construction of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) of the Interstate Highway System supposedly over a 20-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history through that time.[1]

The money for the Interstate Highway and Defense Highways was handled in a Highway Trust Fund that paid for 90 percent of highway construction costs with the states required to pay the remaining 10 percent. It was expected that the money would be generated through new taxes on fuel, automobiles, trucks, and tires. As a matter of practice, the Federal portion of the cost of the Interstate Highway System has been paid for by taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel.

I would add this from Ike>
Eisenhower argued for the highways for the purpose of national defense. In the event of a ground invasion by a foreign power, the U.S. Army would need good highways to be able to transport troops across the country efficiently. Following completion of the highways the cross-country journey that took the convoy two months in 1919 was cut down to two weeks.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average will be "psychologically significant" when it hits 14,167. That was the high on Oct 9, 2007.

If the President campaigns on the market being up 5000 points since his election......is that "psychologically significant"?

The market is up in spite of, not because of Obama's policies.

I would add this from Ike>
Eisenhower argued for the highways for the purpose of national defense. In the event of a ground invasion by a foreign power, the U.S. Army would need good highways to be able to transport troops across the country efficiently. Following completion of the highways the cross-country journey that took the convoy two months in 1919 was cut down to two weeks.

People don't realize the interstate highway system wasn't built so they could get to Aunt Elsies house quickly over Thanksgiving

At the time it was not a question of if we would be nuclear attacked but when. We needed a way to quickly move troops and supplies to areas that were hit by nuclear attacks

Let's look at those high gas prices......

By me they are up 50 cents a gallon this year....a bitch isn't it?
I buy ten gallons of gas a week. It is costing me an extra $5

Bringing me to my knees

oh so theres another reason you are on your knees besides pleasuring obama?

show me where in bush got the same treatment you want obama to be given......

Who is Bush?

I thought we weren't supposed to bring up BOOOOOOOSH?

deflection noted, wipe your chin grandpa...

oh so theres another reason you are on your knees besides pleasuring obama?

show me where in bush got the same treatment you want obama to be given......

Who is Bush?

You still sore about the way Liberals treated BOOOOOOOSH?

Just because he...

Diverted the War on Terror so he could attack Iraq?
Openly engaged in Torture?
Ignored the suffering of people after Katrina?
Stood on denial as the economy crashed around him?
Oh yea........for the first time in history we saw $4 gas

GDP has been growing since 2009.
The stock market has doubled since 2009.
Americans net worth is up $9 trillion dollars since 2009.
3.7 million private sector jobs have been created since 2009.
Auto sales are up.
Retail sales are up.
Home are up.
Unemployment is down.
GM was saved, and is now the number one automaker in the world.
Obama has done a good job.

"Long slow climb" ???? :cuckoo:
WTF are you talking about?
2009 was the fastest growth market in the history of the DOW.
This is the fastest bubble in the history of the DOW.
Shows what you know. Or what your twitter told you.

Not a CLUE if this WALL STREET recovery is the real thing or just a passing phase.

But whatever it is, if it continues, that recovery serves Obama rather well.

Not a CLUE if this WALL STREET recovery is the real thing or just a passing phase.

But whatever it is, if it continues, that recovery serves Obama rather well.

You bet.
And BTW - the DOW recovery is such a farce that is is beyond insanity. Smart investors everywhere pulled out quite awhile back or moved their investments to more stable stocks.
The only people who point to the DOW as a good thing are people who want to tie it to the President.

Oh...excuse me

I forgot about the successes of trickle down

Launched the longest peacetime expansion, revitalized the US economy and defeated the USSR.

I'll take that any day of the week

All financed by tripling the national debt. But we won't allow Obama to do that will we?

Obama Deficits are bigger than any Reagan budget.

One Obama Deficit > All of Reagan's

Face it, your boy is the biggest Democratic fuck up since FDR

Reagan had a Democrat controlled Congress that lied to his face and said they would reduce spending

Reagan asked for but never received a line item veto

Launched the longest peacetime expansion, revitalized the US economy and defeated the USSR.

I'll take that any day of the week

All financed by tripling the national debt. But we won't allow Obama to do that will we?

Obama Deficits are bigger than any Reagan budget.

One Obama Deficit > All of Reagan's

Face it, your boy is the biggest Democratic fuck up since FDR

Reagan had a Democrat controlled Congress that lied to his face and said they would reduce spending

Reagan asked for but never received a line item veto

Yea.....30 years will do that

How did Reagans deficit compare to 1950s deficit?

Contraception and debt is all the Republicans have left.

The Obama budget deficits originated during the Bush presidency...

1. Tax cuts 2001-2002 (4 trillion over 10 years)
2. Prescription drug benefits (1 trillion over 10 years)
3. Economic meltdown of 2008 ( 3 trillion and rising)
4. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (2 trillion and winding down)

Contraception and debt is all the Republicans have left.

The Obama budget deficits originated during the Bush presidency...

1. Tax cuts 2001-2002 (4 trillion over 10 years)
2. Prescription drug benefits (1 trillion over 10 years)
3. Economic meltdown of 2008 ( 3 trillion and rising)
4. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (2 trillion and winding down)

And yet they attribute the entire $15 trillion debt to Obama

Who is Bush?

You still sore about the way Liberals treated BOOOOOOOSH?

Just because he...

Diverted the War on Terror so he could attack Iraq?

Attacked Iraq with the approval of Congress, that included MOST Democrat votes, and a United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441 adopted unanimously by the United Nations.

Openly engaged in Torture?

Allowed a few instances of water boarding on high level subjects that produced information that saved hundreds, or maybe thousands of lives. Some un-American wusses called it torture.

Ignored the suffering of people after Katrina?

The economic effects of Hurricane Katrina, which hit Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi in late August 2005, were far-reaching. As of April 2006, the Bush Administration has sought $105 billion for repairs and reconstruction in the region, making it the costliest natural disaster in US history.

Stood on denial as the economy crashed around him.

The Bush Admin and Senator McCain warned repeatedly about Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac and what thus became the 2008 financial crisis -- starting in 2002 (and actually even earlier -- in the Clinton and Carter White Houses. Democrats resisted and kept to their party line, extending loans to people

Oh yea........for the first time in history we saw $4 gas

When the gas price was high during the Bush administration it was said that he was lining his oil buddies pockets. What will be said about Obama when the gas goes back up? Of course when Bush left office, he left Obama with gas prices at $1.84.

Obama saved the country from another Great Depression, rebuilt GM, reformed healthcare, reformed Wall Street, doubled the stock market, created 8 straight quarters of GDP growth, created 22 straight months of private sector job growth, got Bin Laden, got Gaddafi, and got us out of Iraq.

Obama has done a very good job.

Forum List

Back