'S.C. Republican: Aid like feeding strays'

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
What conclusion can one come to after reading this?

"Bauer, who's running for the Republican nomination for governor, made his remarks during a town hall meeting in Fountain Inn that included state lawmakers and about 115 residents, according to a Greenville News account written by Nathaniel Cary.

“My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply."

S.C. Republican: Aid like feeding strays - CharlotteObserver.com

Joe Bageant: One party has no heart, the other no spine

"Bauer, who's running for the Republican nomination for governor, made his remarks during a town hall meeting in Fountain Inn that included state lawmakers and about 115 residents, according to a Greenville News account written by Nathaniel Cary.

“My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply."

What conclusion? That Bauer has a tin ear for politics but a good mindset for governing. He is right: when you reward certain kinds of behavior you get more of them. When you punish some kinds of behavior, you get less of them.

[What conclusion? That Bauer has a tin ear for politics but a good mindset for governing. He is right: when you reward certain kinds of behavior you get more of them. When you punish some kinds of behavior, you get less of them.

Then it's wrong for churches to help the needy? Then Christian charity causes more harm than good?

When was the last...no, the FIRST time a church sacked its neighborhood to help the poor?

they cannot help themselves,, they always always always gotta bash them a Christian roll eyes!

Next thing he will advocate is sterilizing them to cut down on breeding

Awesome!

Jesus was unavailable for comment

I agree with him on the following points in the proper context:

"They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is, you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better,” Bauer said.

“You see, for the first time in the history of this country, we've got more people voting for a living than we do working for a living,” he said.

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well, you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'”

Bauer said during the speech that there are no “repercussions” from accepting government assistance.

“We don't make you take a drug test. We ought to. We don't even make you show up to your child's parent-teacher conference meeting or to the PTA meeting,” Bauer said.

“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

Bauer said it was time to confront “babies having babies, somebody's got to talk about. Politicians don't want to talk about it anymore because it's politically incorrect.”

He said government hasn't made requirements to make those receiving aid be more responsible.

“They can continue to have more and more kids and the reward is there's more and more money in it for them.”

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I wonder if he thinks it's wrong for churches to help the needy?

Churches don't conscript people to pay for it.

I'm glad someone fell for this.

He used the example of what his grandmother told him. He was not 'conscripted' in that example. He would have been VOLUNTARILY feeding 'strays'.

So, AGAIN, I wonder if he thinks it's wrong for churches to help the needy?

What conclusion? That Bauer has a tin ear for politics but a good mindset for governing. He is right: when you reward certain kinds of behavior you get more of them. When you punish some kinds of behavior, you get less of them.

Your logical is very ironic.

Forum List

Back