Ryan Leaf Indicted!

A case of another pampered athlete gone bad. :eusa_eh:

Thank goodness the Colts chose Peyton Manning over RL in the draft, I can't say that too many times.

NFL - Former NFL QB Leaf indicted on drug charges - FOX Sports on MSN

Ryan Leaf always had an attitude. When he was with Wa. St., the players really didn't like him, and when he hit the pro's the 'tude followed. He never grew up, and never had the team concept. Hence, a short pro carrer. Now he has to figure out that he is no prima donna, and grow up. Maybe this will help in his journey

Maybe he and Art Sleister can get a Fantasy Football League going in jail~! :lol:

Maybe he and Art Sleister can get a Fantasy Football League going in jail~! :lol:

Yeah, good times in jail...maybe the buttie system. :lol:

Why is the idea of butt rape in prison so funny to people? People don't find the rape of women funny, but the idea of men in prison being sodomized, sexually attacked, enslaved, etc, is "funny" to people for some reason. Anyone can end up in prison. Innocent people are found guilty all the time. Butt rape in prison isn't something society should just except and not even try to combat. Most of these men will be released and probably be angrier and more dangerous when they get out, and possibly even have contracted AIDS which they will spread to the general population.

Why is the idea of butt rape in prison so funny to people? People don't find the rape of women funny, but the idea of men in prison being sodomized, sexually attacked, enslaved, etc, is "funny" to people for some reason. Anyone can end up in prison. Innocent people are found guilty all the time. Butt rape in prison isn't something society should just except and not even try to combat. Most of these men will be released and probably be angrier and more dangerous when they get out, and possibly even have contracted AIDS which they will spread to the general population.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!

The reality is that it happens, and there is nothing that will be done about it. The people in prison are there for a reason, and it's not suppose to be pleasant. Maybe if more people thought about what's in store for them, they ought not do the crime. I don't feel sorry for them, and I will make fun of it. As far as innocent people getting convicted....whatcha going to do to change it? I don't have a clue.
Having said that, I don't condone that type of behavior outside of the big house, unless it's consenting. So you have your opinion, and I have mine.

^

That's actually a good illustration of the costs of an average person's focus being on primitive sentiments of retribution rather than deterrence theory. Ultimately, such an approach encourages further victimization, however.

^

That's actually a good illustration of the costs of an average person's focus being on primitive sentiments of retribution rather than deterrence theory. Ultimately, such an approach encourages further victimization, however.

:eusa_eh:

I'd say fear of retribution is as good a deterrent as any.

^

I try and focus on reality as much as possible, Agna. I'm seeing the world as it is, and not some perfect world. You might want to try it sometime, it just might help you to mature.

Of course it is. However, excessive focus on retribution to the point that it obfuscates rational analysis from a perspective that utilizes deterrence theory is problematic. For instance, consider those who cry out for the death penalty for the crime of rape. It's an understandable emotional reaction, but not one consistent with deterrence theory, since it would provide a perverse incentive for a rapist to kill his victim. The same is true for imposing the death penalty on single murderers, for such a person would be provided with a perverse incentive to commit additional murders and violently resist police capture.

I try and focus on reality as much as possible, Agna. I'm seeing the world as it is, and not some perfect world. You might want to try it sometime, it just might help you to mature.

Nor am I. Your mentality actually provides validation of Garland's observation in his The Peculiar Forms of American Capital Punishment:

[T]oday's death penalty is a negative mirror image of a public torture lynching—an inverse institution, a disavowal, calculated to resist and deny any such association. But substantively, many of the same social forces that previously prompted lynchings nowadays prompt capital punishment; many of the same social functions performed by lynching then are performed by capital punishment now; and much the same political structures that permitted lynchings then, enable capital punishment now.

Try focusing on marginal deterrence theory instead.

Of course it is. However, excessive focus on retribution to the point that it obfuscates rational analysis from a perspective that utilizes deterrence theory is problematic. For instance, consider those who cry out for the death penalty for the crime of rape. It's an understandable emotional reaction, but not one consistent with deterrence theory, since it would provide a perverse incentive for a rapist to kill his victim. The same is true for imposing the death penalty on single murderers, for such a person would be provided with a perverse incentive to commit additional murders and violently resist police capture.

Nor am I. Your mentality actually provides validation of Garland's observation in his The Peculiar Forms of American Capital Punishment:

[T]oday's death penalty is a negative mirror image of a public torture lynching—an inverse institution, a disavowal, calculated to resist and deny any such association. But substantively, many of the same social forces that previously prompted lynchings nowadays prompt capital punishment; many of the same social functions performed by lynching then are performed by capital punishment now; and much the same political structures that permitted lynchings then, enable capital punishment now.

Try focusing on marginal deterrence theory instead.

Agna, what I am focusing on is that just maybe Ryan Leaf will have a butt buddy in prison. How is that with your psych sites??? By the way, with your adoration of the youngsters, you ought to read up on what they do to molesters in prison. If you ever find yourself there, why don't you run your mouth off about "Garland's observation", see where that gets you. Geeze, grow up sonny.

Dunno, Heinster...bring up a topic that I've never solicited discussion of in a thread about another topic altogether...kinda seems like your obsession to me. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back