Ryan Doesn't Even Use the Word "Women" In his Views on Reproductive Rights

As soon as Mitt Romney picked Paul Ryan as his running mate, the common wisdom coalesced around the idea that Romney was trying to shore up support with the Tea Party base on economic issues. But Ryan's extreme social conservatism likely had something to do with the pick as well. As Michelle Goldberg notes at the Daily Beast, Ryan runs far to the right even of most Republicans on the issue of choice. Indeed, his statements and votes on the issue start to seem like Ryan sincerely believes that a fertilized egg has more rights than an actual woman with a real brain and feelings.

Goldberg looks over this lengthy piece written by Ryan explaining his views on reproductive rights—a piece where he never even bothers to mention women—and she concludes, "To him, a woman’s claim to bodily autonomy or self-determination doesn’t merit even cursory consideration." Just in case he's left any doubt in the reader's mind that he simply doesn't acknowledge women as people, Ryan concludes that the reasons liberals are pro-choice is because we find children repulsive:

At the core, today’s “pro-choice” liberals are deeply pessimistic. They denigrate life and offer fear of the present and the future—fear of too many choices and too many children. Rather than seeing children and human beings as a benefit, the “pro-choice” position implies that they are a burden. Despite the “pro-choice” label, liberals’ stance on this subject actually diminishes choices, lowers goals, and leads us to live with less. That includes reducing the number of human beings who can make choices

This paragraph makes no sense unless you approach it with the assumption that the categories "women" and "human beings" are mutually exclusive. In order for the system of mandatory childbearing that he proposes to not decrease choices, women must be creatures who can make people but cannot be people. Of course, his belief that support for abortion rights is about child-hating instead of support for women is easy enough to disprove with the facts. More than 60 percent of women having abortions are already mothers, and most of the rest wish to be someday. When women offer their reasons for having abortions, "I dislike children and don't want to be around them" doesn't even rate high enough to make it into the data. Mostly the women fear that it's not a good time in their lives, and about half of them don't want to end up as a single mother.
What an out of touch ignoramus he is!

Link

Damn, you are even dumber than I thought. Do you honestly believe your opinion counts more than anyone else?

Paul Ryan voted yes on HR 358, which would grant hospitals the right to refuse patients abortions, even if they were going to die without one.

Just felt that needed repeating ;)

Wouldn't that be awful. Catholics allowed to be Catholics. The horror.

No no, it's cool, I'll just make sure the ambluence never takes me to a Cathloic emergency room.

Usually you dont need an abulance for an abortion, its usually for something more life threatening, and at that point, you would take a ride to flying spaghetti monster hospital.

Wouldn't that be awful. Catholics allowed to be Catholics. The horror.

No no, it's cool, I'll just make sure the ambluence never takes me to a Cathloic emergency room.

Usually you dont need an abulance for an abortion, its usually for something more life threatening, and at that point, you would take a ride to flying spaghetti monster hospital.

Catholic hospitals are not required to perform abortions. They, currently however are required to stabilize a critical patient before moving them to a diffrent hospital. The "protect life" bill also dubbed " let her die bill", would allow hospitals to refuse to preform an emergency abortion, and move a patient even if the patient might die.

Although, the spaghetti monster hospital does sound appealing....how's the cafeteria food?

Last edited:

Catholic hospitals are not required to perform abortions. They, currently however are required to stabilize a critical patient before moving them to a diffrent hospital. The "protect life" bill also dubbed " let her die bill", would allow hospitals to refuse to preform an emergency abortion, and move a patient even if the patient might die.

Although, the spaghetti monster hospital does sound appealing....how's the cafeteria food?

What a crock of shit.....

I bet you have no idea what an ectopic pregnancy is yet your dumb fucking ass has opinions?

Furthermore it's extremely rare for any of your nonsense of "saving a womans life" to occur...

99.9% of abortions occur out of straight up personal interest....

People shouldn't fuck if they're not responsible enough to take care of their creation....

I bet you have no idea what an ectopic pregnancy is yet your dumb fucking ass has opinions?

Furthermore it's extremely rare for any of your nonsense of "saving a womans life" to occur...

People shouldn't fuck if they're not responsible enough to take care of their creation....

You read the bill and disagree that it allows hospitals to move patients that need an abortion to save their lives?

The rest of your post is nonsense, as I was not addressing abortions in general but a specific bill about emergency abortions.

Women have recourse to get help through the courts from the fathers. Every state has family courts.

Tell that to the wife of teepot, Joe Walsh.

He STILL hasn't paid his more than $100K past due child support.

He even said he would vote against ObamaCare because it would leave his kids without health insurance because they're on his wife's plan - which SHE pays for.

He's ignoring the court's order to pay up.

Perfect R candidate.

Don't remind me. I'm in this guy's district, and I had to give up drinking in my favorite bar because they put his sign on the side.

You read the bill and disagree that it allows hospitals to move patients that need an abortion to save their lives?

The rest of your post is nonsense, as I was not addressing abortions in general but a specific bill about emergency abortions.

What you spew is nonsense.....

You try to portray every female that has an abortion is doing so under life and death situations and the is NOT the case.....

99.9% have abortions out of convenience - in short - they were big kids who didn't want the baby.... If one is not responsible enough to have a child then they're not responsible enough to have sex. Yeah - it is really that simple...

And no - I shouldn't be required to buy the idiots condoms or birth control pills either.. Responsible people provide those contraceptives on their own dime...

Understand or are those concepts too difficult to comprehend and rationalize?

What you spew is nonsense.....

You try to portray every female that has an abortion is doing so under life and death situations and the is NOT the case.....

99.9% have abortions out of convenience - in short - they were big kids who didn't want the baby.... If one is not responsible enough to have a child then they're not responsible enough to have sex. Yeah - it is really that simple...

And no - I shouldn't be required to buy the idiots condoms or birth control pills either.. Responsible people provide those contraceptives on their own dime...

Understand or are those concepts too difficult to comprehend and rationalize?

Why did you quote me if you weren't going to respond to anything I said?

Like you can eat food in a hospital where the god is a heap of noodlized wheat. and you think PETA was bad.

Consider the viewpoint of a devout catholic. If they truly believe life begins at conception, how are they to make the decsion who lives and who dies? Would it be better to shut down all Catholic Hospitals, just in the rare event that a doctor in one would need to perform an abortion to save a womans life, and refuses to do so?

Like you can eat food in a hospital where the god is a heap of noodlized wheat. and you think PETA was bad.

Consider the viewpoint of a devout catholic. If they truly believe life begins at conception, how are they to make the decsion who lives and who dies? Would it be better to shut down all Catholic Hospitals, just in the rare event that a doctor in one would need to perform an abortion to save a womans life, and refuses to do so?

It's part of being a doctor. Doctors have to make life and death decisions all the time, they triage patients and may have to save one person over another.

I would never force Cathloic hospitals to perform elective abortions, however I don't give a pass to doctors to allow someone to possiblity die because they dont feel like making a tough call.

It's part of being a doctor. Doctors have to make life and death decisions all the time, they triage patients and may have to save one person over another.

I would never force Cathloic hospitals to perform elective abortions, however I don't give a pass to doctors to allow someone to possiblity die because they dont feel like making a tough call.

Thats actually a more reasoned viewpoint than most abortion-rights people, however the "not one inch" mentality of both sides of the debate probably renders that type of compromise impossible.

Thats actually a more reasoned viewpoint than most abortion-rights people, however the "not one inch" mentality of both sides of the debate probably renders that type of compromise impossible.

I agree, with a lot of people it's an all or nothing conversation, which is unfortunate because I think both sides could benifit from compromise.

Forum List

Back