Ryan Doesn't Even Use the Word "Women" In his Views on Reproductive Rights

Aug 7, 2012
As soon as Mitt Romney picked Paul Ryan as his running mate, the common wisdom coalesced around the idea that Romney was trying to shore up support with the Tea Party base on economic issues. But Ryan's extreme social conservatism likely had something to do with the pick as well. As Michelle Goldberg notes at the Daily Beast, Ryan runs far to the right even of most Republicans on the issue of choice. Indeed, his statements and votes on the issue start to seem like Ryan sincerely believes that a fertilized egg has more rights than an actual woman with a real brain and feelings.

Goldberg looks over this lengthy piece written by Ryan explaining his views on reproductive rights—a piece where he never even bothers to mention women—and she concludes, "To him, a woman’s claim to bodily autonomy or self-determination doesn’t merit even cursory consideration." Just in case he's left any doubt in the reader's mind that he simply doesn't acknowledge women as people, Ryan concludes that the reasons liberals are pro-choice is because we find children repulsive:

At the core, today’s “pro-choice” liberals are deeply pessimistic. They denigrate life and offer fear of the present and the future—fear of too many choices and too many children. Rather than seeing children and human beings as a benefit, the “pro-choice” position implies that they are a burden. Despite the “pro-choice” label, liberals’ stance on this subject actually diminishes choices, lowers goals, and leads us to live with less. That includes reducing the number of human beings who can make choices

This paragraph makes no sense unless you approach it with the assumption that the categories "women" and "human beings" are mutually exclusive. In order for the system of mandatory childbearing that he proposes to not decrease choices, women must be creatures who can make people but cannot be people. Of course, his belief that support for abortion rights is about child-hating instead of support for women is easy enough to disprove with the facts. More than 60 percent of women having abortions are already mothers, and most of the rest wish to be someday. When women offer their reasons for having abortions, "I dislike children and don't want to be around them" doesn't even rate high enough to make it into the data. Mostly the women fear that it's not a good time in their lives, and about half of them don't want to end up as a single mother.

What an out of touch ignoramus he is!

Link

what a stupid thread

but it's from slate A BLOG people..take it for what it's worth, nothing

Last edited:
He hates women and wants to control their reproductive systems, like most Republicans. What do you expect from him?

Someone said eariler that Ryan was socially liberal. I was seriously taken aback. He's a guy who voted yes on a bill that would allow hospitals to deny dying women an abortion that could save their life.

Like I said, they don't care about women. Or babies, for that matter - which is why they never adopt any.

But if he did you would feel totally different about him right? I get a good laugh out of people who nip pick some little some about a candidate who in all likely hood they would never support or even consider supporting under any circumstances into a big deal.

republicans-in-your-vagina.jpg

Do you know why your stool tapers off at the end?

So your butt hole don't slam shut.

That's what I get from this thread.

But if he did you would feel totally different about him right? I get a good laugh out of people who nip pick some little some about a candidate who in all likely hood they would never support or even consider supporting under any circumstances into a big deal.

I dont like Romney, so no matter who his VP is they wouldn't have gotten my vote. However I have voted republican in the past, even for pro-life republicans. However Ryan is a personhood guy, and even if I liked whatever the rest of his platform was, I would never cast a vote for someone who was that extreme. Same goes for the other side, if someone supported partial birth abortions, or abortions until the last secord, I would never support them.

Someone said eariler that Ryan was socially liberal. I was seriously taken aback. He's a guy who voted yes on a bill that would allow hospitals to deny dying women an abortion that could save their life.

Like I said, they don't care about women. Or babies, for that matter - which is why they never adopt any.

You are full of shit, they complained about Bachman who is a foster home provider with 20+ kids, wtf are you talking about?
Sorry but liberals dont adopt, and to that why do rich celebrities adopt in foreign countries, oh its LESS REGULATED!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A FUCKING CONCEPT

i've know far more republicans that adopt and give to charities than liberals.....

But that's not even the point, the point is, keep your thing in your pants, if you have sex and get pregnant, welcome to parenthood!

Oh, nooooooo! You're wrong! There are many things a lot of people including me don't like about Ryan's ideas and disrespect for women and other groups of people. He is much too socially conservative (and that's putting it politely) for me.

He hates women and wants to control their reproductive systems, like most Republicans. What do you expect from him?

So women who are against abortion rights hate themselves? Men cannot have opinions on abortion that are against yours, or they automatically hate women?

Oh, nooooooo! You're wrong! There are many things a lot of people including me don't like about Ryan's ideas and disrespect for women and other groups of people. He is much too socially conservative (and that's putting it politely) for me.
So what I'm getting here is you are a die hard liberal who would not vote for any conservative under any circumstances which pretty much makes your critique of Ryan as meaningless as a critique of Obama by a die hard conservative who would not vote for a liberal under any circumstances.

So women who are against abortion rights hate themselves? Men cannot have opinions on abortion that are against yours, or they automatically hate women?

Yeah, riiiiiiiight!:eek: women who are against abortion generall have many different reasons. But hating themselves isn't one of them. Paul Ryan has a very disgusting view of women and why choice is important. Hating children isn't it and if he really believes that, he is sick!

Yeah, riiiiiiiight!:eek: women who are against abortion generall have many different reasons. But hating themselves isn't one of them. Paul Ryan has a very disgusting view of women and why choice is important. Hating children isn't it and if he really believes that, he is sick!

But of course, I forgot, you have that magic thingy that lets you read into someones mind and deduce without any evidence that Ryan hates women. How silly of me.

You're a dumbass, to you sex is no different than playing a video game. Sure I think it's fun as hell, but you have to be responsible with it. Killing kids has nothing to do with women. So I guess you're for prostitution, incest, drug use, and all kinds of awesome "choices"?

So what I'm getting here is you are a die hard liberal who would not vote for any conservative under any circumstances which pretty much makes your critique of Ryan as meaningless as a critique of Obama by a die hard conservative who would not vote for a liberal under any circumstances.

What you are getting is wrong. Your crystal ball needs polishing! I'm an independent voter and if you want to call my views on choice liberal, go ahead. But I've voted for republicans and dems over a 44 year period and choice is a deal breaker for me if it is denied or if a candidate favors doing away with choice. I think abortion should be as infrequent as possible, but it isn't up to me or others to decide for a woman. I would advise against it in most circumstances that don't threaten the woman's life but ultimately I believe in choice and individual freedoms about our personal lives and bodies!

But of course, I forgot, you have that magic thingy that lets you read into someones mind and deduce without any evidence that Ryan hates women. How silly of me.

Try to keep up. I'm not the one who said Ryan hates women. Ryan did say very stupidly that people who have abortions and are pro choice hat children.

you are sick and twisted..how do you know who the hell has ADOPTED a child.

Forum List

Back