Ryan calls for ending oil subsidies

Nor will the democrats.

Why would ANYONE? R, D or I be against cutting out corporate welfare for these oil companies?

Government uses corporate welfare to control oil companies & elicit campaign donations. They are not about to give up their control of oil companies. Especially control freak Democrats. They would prefer a windfall profits tax over a cut in oil company subsidies.

And of that? I'd say the Government of all stripes rakes IN the cash...

statetgastax.jpg

While complaining that 'Big OIL' is making too much...

gastax.jpg

Something a little outta kilter here?

No I think he means it.

And good for him for raising the issue.

Boehner and the other GOP faithful won't appreciate it....
We have finally reached the "crunch" issue upon which one would expect that both conservatives and liberals should agree. The folly of providing "corporate welfare" for "oil and gas companies already making record profits is a "no-brainer" - particularily during tough economic times.

The very fact that anybody is allowed to receive $6 billion in federal "borrowed" money, with no apparent conditions attached, simply defies the imagination!

Last edited:
Why would ANYONE? R, D or I be against cutting out corporate welfare for these oil companies?

Government uses corporate welfare to control oil companies & elicit campaign donations. They are not about to give up their control of oil companies. Especially control freak Democrats. They would prefer a windfall profits tax over a cut in oil company subsidies.

statetgastax.jpg

gastax.jpg

Your bogus-graphs are always my first guess.​

statetgastax.jpg

gastax.jpg

*DumbAss*

Gasoline Taxes Vs. Exxon Profit, Per Gallon

The map above from API shows gasoline taxes by state (combined local, state and federal), which range from a low of 26.4 cents per gallon in Alaska to a high of of 66.1 cents per gallon in California, averaging 48.1 cents per gallon across all states. How does that compare to oil company industry profits per gallon?

Keep riding your trikey...

tricycle.gif

statetgastax.jpg

gastax.jpg

*DumbAss*

The map above from API shows gasoline taxes by state (combined local, state and federal), which range from a low of 26.4 cents per gallon in Alaska to a high of of 66.1 cents per gallon in California, averaging 48.1 cents per gallon across all states. How does that compare to oil company industry profits per gallon?

tricycle.gif

Yeah..those poor oil companies. Hard pressed to keep making 10 billion each quarter..

Exxon reports quarterly net profit of $10.7 billion | The Columbus Dispatch

Man those taxes are a killer diller.

Cutting subsidies to anyone, or any group, is not going to be popular with any side you chose in Washington.

Even though it is the right thing to do........

I believe the subsidies that oil companies get is called a depletion allowance and amounts to about $4 Billion. Eventually the well runs dry. Now, how about cutting the $16 Billion subsidy given to the ethanol industry. The ground will always grow corn.

*DumbAss*

tricycle.gif

Yeah..those poor oil companies. Hard pressed to keep making 10 billion each quarter..

And? That would correlate to WHAT profit of Gubmint that pisses it away?

Keep trying you Welfare Warrior.

how is it we should be giving money to the most profitable co in history?

*DumbAss*

tricycle.gif

And? That would correlate to WHAT profit of Gubmint that pisses it away?

Keep trying you Welfare Warrior.

So the government provides an army..a real one..to protect the interests of oil companies abroad..with taxes I send in..and what?

These guys get to make more money then any other capitalistic venture in history combined?

Oh really..

So the government provides an army..a real one..to protect the interests of oil companies abroad..with taxes I send in..and what?

These guys get to make more money then any other capitalistic venture in history combined?

Oh really..

Remember Mossadegh? Ron Paul clearly highlights the fact of blowback with the overthrow of Mossadegh.

Then recently, it was officially announced that the Iraq War was about oil. However, Repukes think it was because Iraqis hate our freedom.

Oh really..

Remember Mossadegh? Ron Paul clearly highlights the fact of blowback with the overthrow of Mossadegh.

Then recently, it was officially announced that the Iraq War was about oil. However, Repukes think it was because Iraqis hate our freedom.

And If it was about OIL? Where is it? Is it flooding the markets yet?

Same as Saying the Faulklands War was about sheep.

“We’re talking about reforming the safety net, the welfare system; we also want to get rid of corporate welfare. And corporate welfare goes to agribusiness companies, energy companies, financial services companies, so we propose to repeal all that,” Ryan said in response to a question about oil subsidies.

Read more: Ryan calls for ending oil subsidies - Robin Bravender - POLITICO.com

Is this just Ryan trying to get people off of his "kill MediCare" message?
I understand the huge outrage with oil companies racking up huge profits, but most of the so called subsidies are really just tax deductions for business expenses. Congress needs to look at all tax deductions, not just those that effect oil and gas productions. We have deductions that encourage job creation abroad and importation of foreign made goods. We have deductions that discourages oil and gas production in the US. We allow other deductions designed simply to increase profits for certain businesses.

“The rich are always going to say that, you know, just give us more money and we’ll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you,” Buffett, chief executive officer of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., said in the interview. “But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on.”

- Warren Buffett - commenting that rich people should pay more in taxes and that Bush-era tax cuts for top earners should be allowed to expire at the end of December
The fact that the Republicans made extending tax cuts to the wealthy their first priority and then proceeded to demonize public school teachers in states like Wisconsin for being "too greedy," has finally crossed th line and succeeded in bringing a form of "class warfare" out into the open.

By attacking the integity of the nation's teachers, the GOP has, in its infinite wisdom, awakened a "sleeping giant" and triggered a deep and bitter confrontation that started in states like Wisconsin, and will culminate in 2012 election - where the "gloves will really come off."

This is no longer just a confrontation between the GOP and some remote national teacher unions, its actually permeated down to the level of the rank-and-file teacher and for them its become personal - very personal.

The fact that even at this late date, the Republicans have continued to see fit that their "friends" to the oil and gas industry continue to recerve their annual $6 billion subsidy, just adds to the commitment to gave a day of recogning

Last edited:
Cutting subsidies to anyone, or any group, is not going to be popular with any side you chose in Washington.

Even though it is the right thing to do........

I believe the subsidies that oil companies get is called a depletion allowance and amounts to about $4 Billion. Eventually the well runs dry. Now, how about cutting the $16 Billion subsidy given to the ethanol industry. The ground will always grow corn.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't see why we give subsidies to anyone. If we are supposed to have a free market it should be sink or swim for businesses. Why should the tax payer bail them out. I don't understand paying farmers not to farm either. You want paid? Grow something....

Forum List

Back