Ryan: budget by April 15 or no debt ceiling raise; it's off the table

So the Repubs will force the US to default unless they get their way....NICE! I guess they want to speed up their moment of extinction.

Not raising the debt ceiling does not equal default. That is yet another piece of fear mongering propaganda.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a Sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. ...Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here'. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and Grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

SENATOR BARACK OBAMA, MARCH 2006

Despite all the partisan finger pointing and myself not like liking Ryan's plutocratic budget attempts,,,,,I think it's time for the Senate to actually put forth a budget! It that asking too much to demand someone do something that is covered within their job description? :eek:

Last edited:
Well I don't know if this is any good but I had to post given the title and the accompanying photo.
Brave, Honest Paul Ryan - NYTimes.com
Paul Krugman
012313krugman3-blog480.png

For those of you not familiar with Paul's credentials this is a very small cut-n-paste of a long, long list.
Education: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Yale University, John F. Kennedy High School
Awards: Nobel Prize in Economics, Prince of Asturias Awards, John Bates Clark Medal, H. C. Recktenwald Prize in Economics

Despite all the partisan finger pointing and myself like liking Ryan's plutocratic budget attempts,,,,,I think it's time for the Senate to actually put forth a budget! It that asking too much to demand someone do something that is covered within their job description? :eek:

I fully agree. I very much welcome you or anyone else to finger point at any member of the Senate or the House. I have singled out Paul Ryan these last few posts because not only does he seem to speak for the entire House but I also view him as the single greatest roadblock to avoiding the sequester. If you believe the sequester is the best course of action I welcome any reasoning why.

Despite all the partisan finger pointing and myself like liking Ryan's plutocratic budget attempts,,,,,I think it's time for the Senate to actually put forth a budget! It that asking too much to demand someone do something that is covered within their job description? :eek:

I fully agree. I very much welcome you or anyone else to finger point at any member of the Senate or the House. I have singled out Paul Ryan these last few posts because not only does he seem to speak for the entire House but I also view him as the single greatest roadblock to avoiding the sequester. If you believe the sequester is the best course of action I welcome any reasoning why.

I just wanted to point out an edit on my part previous a quoted post:

I meant to post,,"Despite all the partisan finger pointing and myself not like liking Ryan's plutocratic budget attempts,,,,,I think it's time for the Senate to actually put forth a budget! It that asking too much to demand someone do something that is covered within their job description?"

Thank you for your attention and reading my post! :cool:

I just wanted to point out an edit on my part previous a quoted post:

I meant to post,,"Despite all the partisan finger pointing and myself not like liking Ryan's plutocratic budget attempts,,,,,I think it's time for the Senate to actually put forth a budget! It that asking too much to demand someone do something that is covered within their job description?"

Thank you for your attention and reading my post! :cool:

My pleasure. I thought that sentence seemed to take an odd right turn there.

So the Repubs will force the US to default unless they get their way....NICE! I guess they want to speed up their moment of extinction.

So how did you feel about it when Obama voted against raising the Debt Limit as a US senator?

fucking Hypocrites abound in the place.

Was he part of the majority? Did they fillibuster the raising of the limit? They had 48 Senators at the time and very well could have.

Chairman Ryan Statement on the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013 | Budget.House.Gov
Chairman Ryan Statement on the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013

January 23, 2013
WASHINGTON—Earlier today, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 325, the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013. The legislation requires both houses of Congress to pass a budget, as stipulated by federal law. If either house fails to pass a budget, its members’ pay will be withheld.

Upon passage of the legislation, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin issued the following statement:

"Government must pay its bills. To do that, we need to cut spending and to budget responsibly.

"Every family sets a budget to pay its bills. Congress should do the same. In fact, it’s the law. In the past two years, the House has done its job. But for nearly four years, the Senate has refused to pass a budget. It can no longer shirk its duty. Now, both chambers must work together.

"The House will not consider another debt-ceiling increase unless the Senate passes a budget. We’re not going to just keep raising the debt ceiling, either. We’re going to take this opportunity to make a down payment on our debt reduction. And we’re going to point our country in the right direction."

I guess if we hit sequester or continuing resolution we are also going to get hit with a government shut down. Checks just won't go out. That includes social security.

i wonder if ryan's mother will send him to his room without supper when she doesn't get her social security check.

that ought to work out real well for the teatards...

If checks can go out for Big Bird, they can go out for Social Security and Veterans. It's time to cut spending. Why are Democrats and Liberals so opposed to that? Why do Democrats and Liberals want to spend what they do not have and put that burden on our grandchildren; and, in the process, hold hostage via fearmongering towards Seniors and Veterans?

I guess if we hit sequester or continuing resolution we are also going to get hit with a government shut down. Checks just won't go out. That includes social security.

i wonder if ryan's mother will send him to his room without supper when she doesn't get her social security check.

If checks can go out for Big Bird, they can go out for Social Security and Veterans. It's time to cut spending. Why are Democrats and Liberals so opposed to that? Why do Democrats and Liberals want to spend what they do not have and put that burden on our grandchildren; and, in the process, hold hostage via fearmongering towards Seniors and Veterans?

A new strawman. :doubt: Ever heard of fiscal responsibility?

Comforting words from the fiscal spokesman for the House of Representatives.

Ryan says GOP won?t back down on spending cuts - The Washington Post
By Lori Montgomery, Published: January 23
When a reporter asked why Republicans would consider shutting down the government when the brinksmanship of the past two years has put the congressional approval rating in the teens, Ryan shot back: “So, we don’t have much to lose, do we? This is not about politics and what makes us popular. This is about what is the right thing to do.”

As much as everyone is running around screaming, "Fiscal cliff!", well I don't know about everyone but I know I am, what is the fiscal cliff? More to the point why will the sequester kick in and what must done to avoid it?

After researching it matter for more than an hour I must admit, "I have no idea." I believe that the cliff is the product of the Budget Control Act of 2011 and the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 put off the sequestration until March 1st.

I did find this from, where else, Budget Control Act of 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The agreement also specified an incentive for Congress to act. If Congress failed to produce a deficit reduction bill with at least $1.2 trillion in cuts, then Congress could grant a $1.2 trillion increase in the debt ceiling but this would trigger across-the-board cuts ("sequestrations"[note 1]), as of January 2, 2013
I am thinking that the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 somehow partially met that requirement. What is the time frame for the 1.2 trillion cuts is unclear. One year? Ten years? Also does this have anything to do with the budget proposals because it does not seem to given that April 15th is the deadline for both chambers to pass a budget but the sequester kicks in March 1st.

Anyone have any information it would greatly appreciated.

Chairman Ryan Statement on the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013

January 23, 2013
WASHINGTON—Earlier today, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 325, the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013. The legislation requires both houses of Congress to pass a budget, as stipulated by federal law. If either house fails to pass a budget, its members’ pay will be withheld.

Upon passage of the legislation, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin issued the following statement:

"Government must pay its bills. To do that, we need to cut spending and to budget responsibly.

"Every family sets a budget to pay its bills. Congress should do the same. In fact, it’s the law. In the past two years, the House has done its job. But for nearly four years, the Senate has refused to pass a budget. It can no longer shirk its duty. Now, both chambers must work together.

"The House will not consider another debt-ceiling increase unless the Senate passes a budget. We’re not going to just keep raising the debt ceiling, either. We’re going to take this opportunity to make a down payment on our debt reduction. And we’re going to point our country in the right direction."

I have never read any of your posts that contain a relevant or insightful point. Leftists like yourself are living in a state of delusion--you absolutely believe that unprecedented deficits/debt are not going to have any impact on the social safety net and social security.

:laugh:This is what happens when one party draws up a bill on a drinking weekend.

Federal Withholding: One Budget or Two? | Cato @ Liberty
By Jim Harper, January 28, 2013 8:43PM

Federal withholding” may take on new meaning if the Senate passes H.R. 325, the “No Budget, No Pay Act.”

Along with increasing the debt ceiling to whatever level it reaches by May 18th, the bill would withhold the pay of members of Congress and senators if their respective bodies don’t pass a budget by the April 15th deadline found in the Congressional Budget Act of 1974.

But does “pass a budget” mean that each house of Congress can pass its own budget? Or does it mean that the two have to agree on a budget? In a WashingtonWatch.com blog post running down the prospects for a normal budget year, I said “both houses of Congress are supposed to agree to a final budget plan by April 15th.” But most people believe that No Budget, No Pay simply requires each house of Congress to pass its own budget in order to stave off “federal withholding” of their paychecks.

I’m a simple country lawyer, and I looked at the language of No Budget, No Pay, which says:

If by April 15, 2013, a House of Congress has not agreed to a concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2014 pursuant to section 301 of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974, … the payroll administrator of that House of Congress shall deposit in an escrow account all payments… [blah blah blah].

And I looked at section 301 of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974, which says:

On or before April 15 of each year, the Congress shall complete action on a concurrent resolution on the budget for the fiscal year beginning on October 1 of such year. The concurrent resolution shall set forth [various things]…

And I thought to myself, “A concurrent resolution on the budget agreed to pursuant to section 301 of the Congressional Budget Act is one that is passed by Congress.”

I was cross referencing something in the Budget Resolution Markup and came across this article. Everyone who wants to brag how the House Republicans passed a budget are welcome to reference this article.

Marr's bio is at the end.

Ryan Plan?s ?Path to Prosperity? Is Just for the Wealthy ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
By Chuck Marr, April 6, 2011
House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s name for his budget — “The Path to Prosperity” — is a cruel joke.
3-15-11bud-blog.jpg

One of this nation’s core beliefs is that if you work hard and act responsibly, you can get ahead, raise a family, and have a decent life.
For the wealthy, Ryan’s proposals are pure gold:
  • A typical hedge fund manager would benefit from Ryan’s extension of the Bush tax cuts for high-income people; the average person making at least $1 million a year would get $125,000 a year in tax breaks.
  • Heirs to multi-million-dollar estates would benefit from Ryan’s estate tax proposal, which would let them inherit the first $10 million in estate value entirely tax-free.
  • High-income investors would benefit from Ryan’s elimination of Medicare taxes on their investment income.
  • And large numbers of high earners would benefit from Ryan’s call to cut the top rate to 25 percent, the lowest in 80 years.
But for working families, whose living standards have stagnated in recent decades, Ryan’s plan seems designed to make it harder for them to help their children have a better life. Picture a family looking to send their oldest daughter to college, who would be the first in the family to reach this milestone of the American dream. The Ryan plan would:
  • slash Pell Grants, which help low- and moderate-income kids pay for college (Ryan says the program has been growing “recklessly”);
  • slash federal aid to states, which would probably have to respond by imposing large tuition hikes for community colleges and public universities; and
  • kill recent improvements in the American Opportunity Tax Credit that have made it available to the people who need it most — those from lower-income families.
“Restoring America’s Promise” is the subtitle of Ryan’s plan, but denying economic opportunity to young people striving to prosper is a strange way to go about that.

Chuck Marr's Bio
Chuck Marr is the Director of Federal Tax Policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. From 1999 through 2004, he was Economic Policy Advisor to Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and Senior Advisor for Budget Policy at the National Economic Council from 1997 through 1999 during the second term of President Clinton. Tax policy was a key area of responsibility of both these positions. In addition, earlier in his career he was Chief Economist of the Senate Budget Committee and a professional staff member of the Senate Banking Committee.

Most recently, prior to joining the Center in March, 2009, he was a senior political strategist in the Washington Research Group of Lehman Brothers and Barclays Capital, where he analyzed the impact of public policy on financial markets. He has also taught as an adjunct Professor at Georgetown University.

Marr has a BA in Economics from the University of Rochester and an MBA in Finance from Columbia Business School.

In turnabout, GOP lawmakers willing to risk automatic budget cuts to get their way on budget - The Washington Post
A senior House GOP aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss party strategy, said some Republicans see the sequester as their best opportunity to achieve spending cuts. That strategy, however, is rife with potential to split open the Republican Party and pits the defense hawks against the tea party.
I am really not getting this part. While working on the Path to Prosperity Markup Paul Ryan put up a graph that shows his plan and the President's budget follow the same line for reducing spending on Medicare. All things seem equal except, and this is a big 'except', the PP wants to cut the top tax rate from 35% to 25% and then rip out the $5.2 trillion dollars of discretionary spending needed to make the change budget neutral. Can anyone explain to me what specific spending issue(s) the House Republicans thinks is more important than going over the cliff?

Ryan: budget by April 15 or no debt ceiling raise; it's off the table

Obama and the Democrats won the 2012 Election, forced the Republicans "to blink" over the "fiscal cliff" and according to the polls has the support of the majority of Americans!

Which of those 3 doesn't Ryan understand?

If Paul Ryan wants to make Republican attempts to undermine the Obama/Democratic authority to govern the country, let that be the basis for their 2014 campaign - by that time "opposition fatigue" will jave reached its peak!

By 'undermine authority', you are stating Obama and Reid should have full sway to break the laws on the Nation and not submit / not pass budget resolutions?
With an economically "wounded" president, the 2012 Election was the GOP's to lose - but in Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's own words, the Republicans couldn't "stop being the stupid party."

The national electorate has lost confidence in the GOP/Tea Party/Stupid Party to recognize if "the laws of the Nation" are being broken - even if they were to fall out of the sky and hit Ryan and Boehner right between the eyes!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back