Rwanda genocide trials leave a mixed legacy

Discussion in 'Africa' started by High_Gravity, Aug 23, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Rwanda genocide trials leave a mixed legacy

[​IMG]

Rwanda genocide trials offer a mixed legacy - latimes.com

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Rwanda - then & now...

Two Decades After Rwandan Genocide, Has the World Learned its Lesson?
    April 06, 2014 — Rwanda on Monday is marking 20 years since the1994 genocide, with the hope that lessons learned can help prevent future atrocities. But as many times as the international community has said "never again," a failure to act has continued to cost lives.
    See also:

RWANDA GENOCIDE: MAN AND VICTIM NOW FRIENDS
    Apr 6,`14 -- She lost her baby daughter and her right hand to a manic killing spree. He wielded the machete that took both.

3. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,307
    I was reading the story about the woman with no hand being friends with her attacker. I'm not sure what it takes to forgive someone hacking your hand off...but I guess it can be done. However, hacking your 9 month old baby to death? I don't think I could do that. I'd want him dead. Period.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. georgephillip

georgephillip Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,039
    "Washington, DC, May 29, 2014 – Leading decision makers from the United Nations, Africa, the United States, and Europe will gather in The Hague from June 1 to 3 to consider the failure of the international community to prevent or effectively respond to the 1994 genocide in Rwanda and to explore whether and how the tragedy might have been averted..."

Specifically, what happened behind closed doors at the UNSC during the genocide that dared not speak its name?

"The initiative has collected, applied to get declassified, and made accessible-in many instances for the first time-significant documents from a wide variety of sources relating to many aspects of the Rwandan genocide.

"Most recently, declassification requests that the National Security Archive and the Holocaust Museum made in four countries have resulted in the release of nearly 300 formerly secret diplomatic cables that provide fresh insights into closed UN Security Council sessions in the days and weeks leading up to the genocide."

KEY DECISION MAKERS AND EYEWITNESSES GATHER IN THE HAGUE TO CONSIDER THE FAILURE OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY IN THE RWANDAN GENOCIDE