Rutgers student told not to quote Bible in essay because of 'separation of church and state'

I didn't know Rutgers was the state.

And it is separation of church FROM the state. The intention was to prevent the state from telling you how to practice your faith, not for universities to bar you from even accessing or referencing it. The former is freedom from censorship; the latter is the left's way of twisting it into TOTAL censorship.

And it is separation of church FROM the state. The intention was to prevent the state from telling you how to practice your faith, not for universities to bar you from even accessing or referencing it. The former is freedom from censorship; the latter is the left's way of twisting it into TOTAL censorship.
What occurred was a prime example of the fascist left doing what they’ve always done throughout history - attack the one true God. If this student had quoted the Karan we all know the response would have been very different.

I'm tempted to argue that, not only is there no separation, but there is only "church", no "state" at all, childish as these archaic axioms are.

That's what the Common Law system is, a system of "religious" or "moral" imposition on the people, at least for those who won't be moral on their own free will without fear of the law.

And regardless of the archaic and false dichotomy between "religious" or "secular" or whatever, usually using archaic, outdated, or nonsensical terms and definitions of things like "religion" to begin with, even "secular" systems or religious or moral philosophies, of course, are based on faith-based axioms or beliefs which are blindly held to be absolute or fundamental to the belief system (such as the statement of principles of Secular Humanism, or other secular philosophies or ideologies).

Much as the silly, quaint, and archaic idea or outright lie that "religious" systems or faith based axioms developed or were invented "in a vacuum", entirely abstracted from whatever pragmatic or consequential purposes they served, is rather silly. (Such as laws against murder, not only being a sin in world religions, but a practical harm to individuals, societies, families, communities, and so on, which likely why laws against murder exist in the context of world religions or their legal systems, as well as contemporary or "secular" ones like the Common Law, which evolved out of older legal systems, such as that of ancient Rome, Exodus, and others0.

"Peter Cordi was assigned an autobiographical paper in his “Intro to Gender, Race, and Sexuality” class last semester."

This really is ****** level stupid.

It's a Public University which means Constitutional restrictions on government apply to it as well.

Got a legitimate source, or just this blog?

By the way, wanna buy a bridge?

Three days later, still nothing.

Ah feel your pain. I couldn't find any either.

Attacking the source, the first and last refuge of the person with nothing else to argue about.

What a lazy twat you are.

It's a Public University which means Constitutional restrictions on government apply to it as well.
You are actually backing this professor in stating the Separations Clause of the Constitution as a reason for limiting direct quotation?

OMFG

You are actually backing this professor in stating the Separations Clause of the Constitution as a reason for limiting direct quotation?

OMFG

No I am not. i was responding to the question of Rutgers being an government entity.

The Professor was wrong.

Yes, Rutgers cannot force religion- or lack of it- upon students.

Then the constitutional restrict applies that the state should stay out of people's religion, not be restricting or banning the pursuit thereof, much less the free research of the body of human knowledge (by a University!) as is the case here, the exact OPPOSITE of the Framer's intent.

Then the constitutional restrict applies that the state should stay out of people's religion, not be restricting or banning the pursuit thereof, much less the free research of the body of human knowledge (by a University!) as is the case here, the exact OPPOSITE of the Framer's intent.

The professor wrongly applied "freedom of religion" to disallow a student using the bible as a reference. If she questioned it's veracity regarding the argument it would be one thing, but she spouted off about something that simply isn't true, even in this case where the school IS held to the standards of the 1st amendment.

Attacking the source, the first and last refuge of the person with nothing else to argue about.

The question stands untouched. Find us any legitimate source reporting that this event happened at all.

I already tried. Every single one referred back to this unsourced article. All of them. Every last one.

CHRIST you people are gullible.

I could point out here that this makes three threads in a row by the same OP that I cited and easily-found gap in his credibility that he can't answer.

The question stands untouched. Find us any legitimate source reporting that this event happened at all.

I already tried. Every single one referred back to this unsourced article. All of them. Every last one.

I could point out here that this makes three threads in a row by the same OP that I cited and easily-found gap in his credibility that he can't answer.

I like the way you automatically don't trust a damn thing at first glance from either side. Been Independent long?

I like the way you automatically don't trust a damn thing at first glance from either side. Been Independent long?

Pretty much as far back as I can remember. Even as a child I would see TV ads claiming "more people buy this, the leading brand" and I would immediately ask, "and how is that a reason that I should too?".

Seems a lot of wags don't get that assertions of events have to be corroborated and/or documented. They seem to think 'saying so makes it so as long as it says something I'd like to see said'. I find that approach bizarre. The first question asked should always be "is this real".

Forum List

Back