Russia's civil society crackdown continues

hipeter924

Not a zombie yet
May 5, 2009
Nowhere you can follow
12:58 PM ET

Russia's civil society crackdown continues

By Tanya Lokshina, Special to CNN
Editor’s note: Tanya Lokshina is a senior researcher and deputy Moscow director at Human Rights Watch. The views expressed are her own.

The Kremlin’s announcement last week that it was kicking USAID out of Russia is the latest step in a crackdown on foreign-funded civil society groups. It’s a trend that has intensified since Vladimir Putin’s return to the presidency in May, with the parliament hastily adopting new restrictive rules for non-governmental organizations. Groups that get even a kopeck of foreign money in their budget will be required to officially register as “foreign agents.” In Russian, that is pretty much understood to imply “foreign spies,” making many here in Russia believe the law aims to marginalize and discredit groups that advocate policy change.

The new law won’t enter into force until late autumn, but you can already see it in action. At least, I did, during a recent trip to Russia’s provinces. While the Justice Ministry is still working out the new law’s implementing regulations, regional officials are apparently already trying to please their federal bosses by exhibiting exemplary exuberance for the new provisions.

A couple of weeks ago, a fascinating internal document started circulating on social networks. It is a photocopy of a letter dated August 9 on the letterhead of administration chief for the Mari El Republic in Russia’s Volga region, addressed to heads of local government agencies and services. The document cites growing concern regarding “activization of foreign and domestic non-profit organizations” and calls on the officials to mitigate these threats. They are instructed in particular to ensure that their staff at all levels “minimize participation in programs and socio-political events funded by foreign and Russian non-profit groups.” To translate from the bureaucratese, this means local officials are effectively ordered to stop cooperating with these groups. As simple as that.

Human Rights Watch sent an inquiry to that office seeking confirmation of the document’s authenticity and status. No answer so far, but our recent experience in another region of Russia provides strong reason to believe that there have been warnings to officials, and not just in the Volga region, about contact with civil society groups, especially foreign and foreign-funded ones.

Russia's civil society crackdown continues – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

You probably missed my post on another thread dedicated to "Russian opposition" on US payroll... Never mind, I will repeat it here for your convenience. But before I do so, I have a new question for you:

Why do you call 3% of Russia's population (and that including those who have US, Israeli, Canadian, French citizenship, but work in Russia as "opposition"!) -- " Russia's civil society"???!!!

And now for my previous post
"All right, let's not touch upon propaganda, let's operate bare facts.

In fact, YOU are going to voice them!

We will go by points raised by YOU:

1. What country gave protection to Zakhaev -- a leader of Chechen terrorist, among other terrorist acts like cutting the heads off British workers, responsible for the slaughter of 300 children in school?
What country gave protection to Berezovsky -- a person who became filthy rich by selling Russia (which didn't belong to him) to Western corporations and later used his money to finance terrorism in Northern Caucasus?

2. I provided photos of Chechnya 2011 - 2012. Please, provide photos of Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya after US, UK, France had their way with those countries.

3. Name the second wife of Yuschenko and tell us about her professional occupations and her youth political affiliations.

4. Ukrainian constitution explicitly forbids third round of presidential elections. On US insistence the third round of elections was forced on Ukrainians and Yuschenko was declared president BEFORE the votes were counted. The West hailed it as a "victory for democracy". Do you agree with that?

5. USAID, NED, IRI and NDI do spend money on financing some organisations and individuals in Russia. Since you disagree with the list of organisations and individuals on payroll of USAID, NED, IRI and NDI, please, tell us what organisations and individuals do get money from USAID, NED, IRI and NDI!

There you go, feel free to come up with the FACTUAL answers to the questions raised by YOU!"

Granny says, "Dat's right - dem sneaky Russkie spies make it look like an accident...
:eusa_eh:
Police: No sign of 3rd party in Berezovsky death
Mar 24,`13 -- There was no evidence to suggest anyone else was involved in the death of Boris Berezovsky, the self-exiled Russian tycoon who went from Kremlin kingmaker to fiery critic, British police said Sunday.
With an investigation under way, police are treating the death of Berezovsky - who fled to Britain in the early 2000s after a bitter falling out with Russian President Vladimir Putin - as unexplained. But the former oligarch survived assassination attempts and recently faced financial difficulties, prompting speculation as to whether his death was part of a conspiracy - or suicide. Police said Sunday it would be wrong to speculate on Berezovsky's cause of death pending the results of an autopsy, but said they had no evidence to suggest anyone else was involved. "We are at the early stages of the investigation and we are retaining an open mind as we progress," said Detective Chief Inspector Kevin Brown. "The investigation team is building a picture of the last days of Mr. Berezovsky's life, speaking to close friends and family to gain a better understanding of his state of mind."

Police released some details on the circumstances that triggered their investigation into his demise and a subsequent check for hazardous materials at a home he stayed at in Ascot, a town 40 kilometers (25 miles) west of London where Berezovsky's body was found on Saturday. A call came into police from the local ambulance service at 3:23 p.m. GMT (11:23 a.m. EDT) Saturday saying a man had been found dead, Thames Valley Police said in a statement on Sunday. The police said an employee of Berezovsky told how he had called an ambulance after becoming concerned for Berezovsky's welfare and forced open a bathroom door locked from the inside to find the tycoon's body on the floor. The employee was the only person in the house when Berezovsky's body was discovered, police said. Members of the ex-oligarch's family arrived at the home while the paramedic was on scene.

After a paramedic declared Berezovsky dead and left the scene, a device measuring the paramedic's exposure to radiation was triggered, police said. This is why chemical and radiations experts were called to examine the home, they said. "Officers found nothing of concern in the property and we are now progressing the investigation as normal," a statement from police said earlier, adding that the majority of the cordon put in place around the property has now been lifted. Berezovsky - who had survived a number of assassination attempts - amassed a fortune through oil and automobiles during Russia's chaotic privatization of state assets following the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. Once a member of Russian President Boris Yeltsin's inner circle, Berezovsky fell out with Yeltsin's successor, Putin, and fled Britain in the early 2000s to escape fraud charges that he said were politically motivated.

MORE

You probably missed my post on another thread dedicated to "Russian opposition" on US payroll... Never mind, I will repeat it here for your convenience. But before I do so, I have a new question for you:

Why do you call 3% of Russia's population (and that including those who have US, Israeli, Canadian, French citizenship, but work in Russia as "opposition"!) -- " Russia's civil society"???!!!

And now for my previous post
"All right, let's not touch upon propaganda, let's operate bare facts.

In fact, YOU are going to voice them!

We will go by points raised by YOU:

1. What country gave protection to Zakhaev -- a leader of Chechen terrorist, among other terrorist acts like cutting the heads off British workers, responsible for the slaughter of 300 children in school?
What country gave protection to Berezovsky -- a person who became filthy rich by selling Russia (which didn't belong to him) to Western corporations and later used his money to finance terrorism in Northern Caucasus?

2. I provided photos of Chechnya 2011 - 2012. Please, provide photos of Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya after US, UK, France had their way with those countries.

3. Name the second wife of Yuschenko and tell us about her professional occupations and her youth political affiliations.

4. Ukrainian constitution explicitly forbids third round of presidential elections. On US insistence the third round of elections was forced on Ukrainians and Yuschenko was declared president BEFORE the votes were counted. The West hailed it as a "victory for democracy". Do you agree with that?

5. USAID, NED, IRI and NDI do spend money on financing some organisations and individuals in Russia. Since you disagree with the list of organisations and individuals on payroll of USAID, NED, IRI and NDI, please, tell us what organisations and individuals do get money from USAID, NED, IRI and NDI!

There you go, feel free to come up with the FACTUAL answers to the questions raised by YOU!"

You seem to be a very confused person .
Russia is now nailed down so tightly that it is almost impossible to fart without the FSB hearing .
What on earth does your post refer to ? It seems a mish mash of randomness with no clear point or message to convey .
Incidentally , Chechnya is a shit hole under the Moscow psycho puppet Kadyrov . And the Ukraine is in the process of being given back to Moscow by the presidential stooge who can barely put two sentences together .

Russia is now nailed down so tightly that it is almost impossible to fart without the FSB hearing .

Do you understand the meaning of the word "logic"?

Absolutely . And I am happy to give you an occasional help .
It is was one of my Ancillary courses at University -- as you effectively and cleverly spotted . With Putrid's ratings so low in Moscow and St Petersburg , it is just a matter of time before this now quite ill guy is obliged to step aside . A blessing for the Russian people .

And the Ukraine is in the process of being given back to Moscow by the presidential stooge who can barely put two sentences together .

Listen, you, moron, "ukraine" means "border land" -- that's how Poles referred to RUSSIAN territories they occupied between 13-s and 16-s centuries.

Nowadays Ukraine is an artificially created state that is currently on a verge of a civil war because "presidential stooge" is not allowed by US to do the right thing: break up Ukraine on at least Western Ukraine and the rest of Ukraine. Then West could've been absorbed by Hungary, Poland and Romania; central part coul've remained as "Ukraine", and the rest could've been reunited with the rest of Russia.

Actually Moron ( a Russian word?) Russia did not effectively exist until Kiev area people moved north--- rejects and criminals mostly .
I can help you with History as well . So don't be shy to ask .
Your understanding of the present situation is quite quaint . Do you get your nonsense from RT ?
Reardless , it's extremely amusing .

Incidentally , Chechnya is a shit hole under the Moscow psycho puppet Kadyrov.
Incidentally, these are the photos of Chechnya.]

Love a guy who unwittingly tells us that he knows nothing about a subject he pontificates about .
You have no idea , how , and , why , Grozny was rebuilt the way it is now -- after Putrid raised it to rubble .
No jobs . No economy . Desperate poverty .
Checnya -----A Russia created shit hole .

Last edited:
a) Moscow and St Petersburg are just two big cities of Russia. It may come as a surprise to you, but most people live beyond these cities; b) "so low" was still miles higher than any of the so called "opposition leaders".

Err? Who is ill?

Why? Because the West wants it to be so?

Since over 60% of Russia's citizens voted for Putin, while just over 3% for US supported "opposition", let me remind you that in Russia the MAJORITY decide the fate of their country.

Gosh . I never realised that I had hit on two big Russian cities . Wonders never cease !!
I will give you a chance to name 20 cities and I doubt there will be more than one or two I have not visited and stayed in .
I teach more detailed and accurate facts to my beginners than you appear to know as your sum total .
Putin has been ill since last October and even if stories that he is dying from a sarcoma of the spine are exaggerated , the use of his four doubles has never been so frequent .He has severe mobility problems .
Russia is a doomed power block and if there is a dramatic economic down turn in America later this year , Putrid's budget falls into tatters -- a budget based on ca $115 a barrel could look silly if deep depression occurs .

Listen, you, moron, "ukraine" means "border land" -- that's how Poles referred to RUSSIAN territories they occupied between 13-s and 16-s centuries.

Nowadays Ukraine is an artificially created state that is currently on a verge of a civil war because "presidential stooge" is not allowed by US to do the right thing: break up Ukraine on at least Western Ukraine and the rest of Ukraine. Then West could've been absorbed by Hungary, Poland and Romania; central part coul've remained as "Ukraine", and the rest could've been reunited with the rest of Russia.

1. Russia did not effectively exist until Kiev area people moved north--- rejects and criminals mostly .

2. I can help you with History as well . So don't be shy to ask .

3. Your understanding of the present situation is quite quaint . Do you get your nonsense from RT ?

LOL!!!
1. "Kiev area people" ??? "Rejects and criminals" ????
Darling, you are confusing the history of Russia with the history of the United States of America. It's US that was founded by religious rejects and criminals from Europe.

First Slavic (Russian)state was founded around Novgorod (that would be North). From there it spread its influence onto Kiev that at the time united few other Slavic tribes thus creating a state -- Rus (Russia in Greek). And it all happened around 9-s -- 10-s centuries.

2. God forbid!!! Or I will become as ignorant and stupid as Americans!

3. I get my "nonsense" from live links to Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus. You see, my little moronic friend, I lived in the Soviet Union.

Where do you get your superior knowledge about present situation in Russia (I already figured out that your historical knowledge comes from your university edumacation)?

As you are seeing , my knowledge of Russia and the whole area is from direct experience . I am not American . Do I sound as though I have an inferiority complex !?

You have no idea , how , and , why , Grozny was rebuilt the way it is now -- after Putrid raised it to rubble .
No jobs . No economy . Desperate poverty .
Checnya -----A Russia created shit hole .

Why do you think I don't know that there were wars in MY HOMELAND????!!!!!
You wrote "... Chechnya is a shit hole..." "Is" means present tense. It means that YOU had no idea how Chechnya looks now.

Of course it was re-built after US sponsored Islamists provoked two wars in N. Caucasus! Russians are not like Americans, they re-built what was ruined!

How about your New Orleans? How well was it re-build? How well did you re-build Bagdad or Kabul?

No jobs, no economy, desperate poverty -- it's your country with ever rising numbers of "tent cities" and over 47 million people relying on food stamps for nutrition, look at your

Wonderful to see you supporting the lunatic psychopath Kadyrov. Illiterate . Literally .
As you now know , I am not American so your attempted barbs fell on fallow land .
Once again , get your facts right before tripping and falling on your face .

Russia is in a time warp, its now an action replay of 1913 prior to WW1 & revolution ! The country should be re named Russ-Kiev ! Got to go now the Okhrana are banging on my front door!

Wonderful to see you supporting the lunatic psychopath Kadyrov.

Illiterate . Literally .

As you now know , I am not American so your attempted barbs fell on fallow land .

When Kadyrov was fighting AGAINST Russian forces during the first Chechen war the West was referring to him as a noble freedom fighter...

Nit wit!!
Ramadan ( my name for the scum) was a 16 year old at the time of the first Chechen war . He was an uncouth , illiterate beast already , and perhaps understandably given the circumstances . But noble he never was .Just a poor psychopathic lad giving back the brutality that Terrorist Russia gave the Chechens .He still loves torture , which is why he has his own torture chambers under his Grozny palace .
Pity he then acted as a traitor to his people and became Putrid's stooge and hit man .As he still is .
Have you ever heard him speak -- thick as pig shit without a trace of style or good taste .

Ramsan Kadurov is a son of a prominent religious leader of Chechnya from Benoy tape -- with these "credentials" it would be quite an achievement for him to be "illiterate"!
/QUOTE]

As I thought . You know nothing about him.
He can't string sentences together . He is literally a monster child and everybody laughs at him behind his back -- between bouts of sadness that Putin should use such a wretch for his bidding .

It's becoming very difficult , if not impossible , for Europeans to get into Grozny now , otherwise I would take you along as part of your required need to unscramble your brain washing .

Granny says, "Dat's right - he didn't hang hisself, somebody strangled him...
:eusa_eh:
Boris Berezovsky 'found with ligature around his neck'
28 March 2013 - An inquest into the death of Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky has heard he was found lying on his bathroom floor with a "ligature around his neck".
Mr Berezovsky, 67, was discovered at his Berkshire home on Saturday. A post-mortem examination found his death was consistent with hanging, but further tests are being carried out and are likely to take several weeks. The inquest, which has been adjourned, comes after relatives of his second wife described him as "extraordinary". Speaking at the opening of the inquest at Windsor Coroner's Court, Detective Inspector Mark Bissell, of Thames Valley Police, said Mr Berezovsky was found lying on his bathroom floor with a "ligature around his neck and a piece of similar material on the shower rail above him".

The inquest was opened and adjourned by Berkshire Coroner Peter Bedford. Janine Prunty, the coroner's officer, confirmed Mr Berezovsky's daughter, Elizaveta Berezovskaya, formally identified the body. And police confirmed the ambulance crew found the Russian oligarch's body on the floor at his home in Ascot, Berkshire. The BBC's world affairs correspondent Richard Galpin said the police search of Mr Berezovsky's house will continue for a few days more and other tests are under way.

Following her father's death, Mr Berezovsky's daughter Anastasia, 19, said: "My father was not the typical parent, nothing about him was ordinary... he has taught me many things about this world. "He has taught me to never stop fighting for what one believes in no matter what the costs may be." Anastasia and her brother Artem are Mr Berezovsky's children with his second wife Galina Besharova. She added: "There aren't enough words in any language that can somehow express everything that he was and everything he will continue to be. The only word that comes close is extraordinary."

'No struggle'

As I thought . You know nothing about him.

He can't string sentences together .

It's becoming very difficult , if not impossible , for Europeans to get into Grozny now , .

Really???!!! Why is that? Grozny is not a closed city!

Really .
You can;t get in . Djohar , to give its correct name .
it is like a shut door . Closed . Dumfnoodle .

Last edited:
The way you avoided answering my two questions suggest that the answer to both is "yes", but you are too much of a pussy to admit your own ignorance. That's OK.

The other possibility , which you seem to have overlooked , is that you have become silly and your questions are irrelevant .
Ramblebumble is a psychopathic monster who has been condemned by the UN and EU .
The people who loathe and despise him most are the Chechens .
What world are you coming from -- are you a Gazprom HQ zombie ?

Really .
You can;t get in . Djohar , to give its correct name .
it is like a shut door . Closed . Dumfnoodle .

Hey, Dumbhoodle, "Djohar" is a REFERENCE to the city GROZNY made by Chechen Islamists in memory of Djohar Dudaev.

Since when it became "the true name" of the city that was build by RUSSIAN kosaks and its name means "terrible", "awesome"?

Step away from a key board, you, acne ridden teenage twat!

At last . You recognise something . Djohar is the name of the Chechen city occupied by Chechens .
They are not interested in what the Russian Terrorists and Infidels call it .
I was right about you being a fraud and knowing very little about the wide world , other than propaganda nonsense from your FSB .
I will help unscramble your brains over the next few months .

Don't go to Chechnya . You will get lost if you don't know where their capital , Djohar , is .
I shall be in Tiblisi soon . If you drop in , I will see if I can get you a pass into Djohar .
I need to be in Tiblisi next month because we expect Russia to start their next invasion scam in May .

Forum List

Back