Russian subs patrolling off U.S. east coast

The statement issued by Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command said, "We have been monitoring them during transit and recognize the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law."

No need to get under your desks just yet kids. :lol:

Aug 4, 09:46 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two nuclear-powered Russian attack submarines have been patrolling off the Eastern seaboard of the United States in recent days in a rare mission that has raised concerns inside the Pentagon, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

While the submarines had not taken any provocative action beyond their presence outside U.S. territorial waters, officials expressed wariness over Russia's motivation for ordering such an unusual mission, the newspaper said.

"Any time the Russian Navy does something so out of the ordinary it is cause for worry," a senior Defense Department official who has been monitoring reports on the submarines' activities told the newspaper.

The U.S. Navy was able to track the submarines as they made their way through international waters off the American coastline, the official told the newspaper.

"We've known where they were, and we're not concerned about our ability to track the subs," the official added. "We're concerned just because they are there."

One of the Russian submarines remained in international waters on Tuesday about 200 miles off the coast of the United States and the second sub made a port call in Cuba in recent days, the newspaper said, citing Defense Department officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Defense Department officials declined to speculate on what weapons might be aboard the two submarines.

A Pentagon spokesman had no immediate comment on the report.

Sorry...not allowed to post links yet, or I would have provided it. Story is from Reuters

I wouldn't be too worried about that...china is doing it too and i'm more concerned with china as they have a HUGE manufacturing base that they could turn military at any time

the russians have been stalkiing the East Coast with subs for years u pogues-- u have no idea what bang u got for ur buck-- this stuff is Putin taking his shirt off on the international stage before he has another tattle-tale murdered-- this is Joe Stalin light and let's hope he stays chilly as the Russians dig respect just like others-- Regards, probus

This is news probably only because they haven't done so in a while. I'm obviously totally guessing on this, but I would think that they really haven't had the capability to do so for a few years due to the disrepair their subfleet fell into after the breakup of the USSR.

But yeah, they did it from the mid/late 50's all the way through the 90's. Not really anything new.

russian subs have been patrolling off the coast of the United States for decades. It is the reason why SOSUS stations have been installed from Newfoundland to Florida. in the old days, it wasn't soviet attack subs, but boomers who were stationed right outside our territorial waters. Trying to make this into some NEWS item is laughable.

The status of the Akula II program is less certain, with at least one authoritative source maintaining that this class has yet to put to sea. The Vepr [which is probably an Akula II] was launched in December 1994 and according to some sources was commissioned in 1995. The Gepard was laid down in 1991, with the sub scheduled to enter active service in 1996. In fact, Gepard is still in the yard, and has been renamed Belgograd. The sub's crew was scheduled to arrive on board in early 1998 while the boat was still under construction. At least two and perhaps as many as four more Akula II units are being built. As of early-1999 there were at least two unfinished Project 971A Akula-IIs in the building halls at Severodvinsk [probably the ex-Gepard Belgograd and the Kuguar]. No completion date is projected, but they appeared unlikely to be completed before 2001.

The active submarines of this class are in restricted service to conserve their remaining reactor core lives. There are at least eight Akula submarines currently operational, and by some estimates the number of Akulas in active service may be as great as eleven. At least three more units [and possibly as many as five] remain under construction, and their completion could bring the total inventory to as many as fifteen boats by the end of the decade.

Akula Class - Project 971

People this is not news, russian and ex-soviet boats both attack and boomers have been patrolling off US coasts for years. This is not a story by any stretch of the imagination and given the current state of the russian navy's submarine force it was actually an achievment to get those boats that far without a reactor incident of or someone being killed on their boats. The russians have a good reason to want to play around off the coast of Georiga. Now if the frequency of these patrols went back to the days of Admiral Gorshkov then you would have something there, but don't get too worked up over this one. You would have a better chance of being harmed climbing down the ladder to see the Foxtrot class boat in San Diego on a tour, than you would from those two Akula's out in the Atlantic.

As I said in another posting Pilgrim this sort of thing is nothing new and is no cause for alarm at all, other than the fact Russia wants the US to take notice they have decided to flex their naval muscle all be it a very tiny one. I'm actually surprised these Akula class boats actually made it that far without killing their crews due to some failure of some kind. No need to be concerned, Russia has a man in charge who has visions of the glory days of Gorshkov and is it any wonder as he was trained well by the KGB.

They're in international waters, doing not much of anything, and why is this news lol?? I mean it'd be one thing if they came jetting into US waters all hands at battle stations. Besides how many times has our country's military sent a ship or two off of some cost to try and flex our military muscle when you think about it.

Honestly though, perhaps they should see if there is some way they can qualify for the cash for clunkers program, their navy would truly make a killing lol.

Forum List

Back