Russian subs patrolling off U.S. east coast

bigtoad

Rookie
Aug 5, 2009
Aug 4, 09:46 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two nuclear-powered Russian attack submarines have been patrolling off the Eastern seaboard of the United States in recent days in a rare mission that has raised concerns inside the Pentagon, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

While the submarines had not taken any provocative action beyond their presence outside U.S. territorial waters, officials expressed wariness over Russia's motivation for ordering such an unusual mission, the newspaper said.

"Any time the Russian Navy does something so out of the ordinary it is cause for worry," a senior Defense Department official who has been monitoring reports on the submarines' activities told the newspaper.

The U.S. Navy was able to track the submarines as they made their way through international waters off the American coastline, the official told the newspaper.

"We've known where they were, and we're not concerned about our ability to track the subs," the official added. "We're concerned just because they are there."

One of the Russian submarines remained in international waters on Tuesday about 200 miles off the coast of the United States and the second sub made a port call in Cuba in recent days, the newspaper said, citing Defense Department officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Defense Department officials declined to speculate on what weapons might be aboard the two submarines.

A Pentagon spokesman had no immediate comment on the report.

Sorry...not allowed to post links yet, or I would have provided it. Story is from Reuters

:lol: I've never seen that... that's friggin hilarious "i was there sunday...sunday a week!"

Just curious as to why they are there in the first place. What is their impetus for being that far from the Russian border I wonder?

:lol: I've never seen that... that's friggin hilarious "i was there sunday...sunday a week!"

great political commentary flick on the hysteria created by governments

in the end , just as the Russians and Americans were in each other's face esculating the politically engineered madness, a youngster becomes endangered (hanging off steeple) , to which a russian salior braves his way to the child's rescue as the two factions watch with great concern....

the moral of it hasn't changed....

I am informed (by former nuclear sub crew members) that such missions have long been happening.

obama will just pull off his shirt and stradle a donkey and they will melt in fear.

Forum List

Back