Russian Sub Skirts Coast

Not to detract from the military division pissing match but...

I pretty much don't feel good that enemy subs can come within range and not get more than a high five for doing that in response. I get that's the game but it making the papers and the replies of oh well shit happens kinda proves we're weak here. The Russians actually have the balls to pull this off knowing we aren't going to do jack shit about it. That concerns me.

They do it to us. We do it to them. That's what submarines DO. This incident is actually less concerning than the submarine Akula that spent a few weeks cruising around in the GOM, undetected by our Navy, in August. How do I know about that incident? I read about it in the Navy Times.

Why aren't these incidents reported often? Because most information on them is restricted to folks with security clearance.

You have no idea what the Russians have been doing for the past 20 years; this is just someone making a political point about funding that may or may not be an accurate reflection of current needs.

As far as what I know, the Navy Times and the Naval Institute's "Proceedings" magazines are bathroom readers at our house, and I've been reading them cover to cover for the past 4 years. I'm no squid, but I'd say I'm generally more informed about both Navy current events and tactics/strategies than the average Air Force schlub who's never studied that stuff, and whose only claim to fame is that he played show and tell for a week.

That ongoing reading is how I know our Navy is actually larger under Obama than it was under George W. Bush.

But, here's an article which illustrates exactly that:

NORFOLK-Former Navy Secretary Richard Danzig is supporting President Barack Obama's re-election and says the Navy has gotten larger, not smaller, under his leadership.

Speaking at a campaign office in Norfolk, ahead of Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s rally in Virginia Beach, Danzig recited the numbers. He said there were 311 ships in the fleet when he left office in 2001; there were 282 naval vessels when Obama took office in 2009 and it stands at 288 ships today.
The issue came up during a debate when Romney stated that the Navy is at its smallest point since 1916.

“I think measuring the Navy by the number of ships is not a very sensible way and the president, I think, underscored that,” Danzig stated.

Danzig argued that the Navy's decline to 282 ships under George Bush “really is a marker of how Republicans have, I think, and the people around Governor Romney, embraced the rhetoric but ignore the reality.”
Former Navy secretary says military is better off with President Obama | WVEC.com Norfolk - Hampton Roads

Depending on the type of ship, the average cost is around 2.5 billion. How far in debt are you willing to go, exactly?

Last edited:
Not really new - the navy's known about this since the sub came within 500 miles of our coast.

Where were our subs? Those not out at sea tracking the Ruskie were busy doing everything they could to help victims of Sandy.

The Russian sub is just poking around, it's not going to do anything. But if it did, the time to strike is while obama is still in office and the Russians could be assured of not risking a retaliatory attack. Just an obama apology for our getting in their way.

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXXGep9RB34]The Russians Are Coming - YouTube[/ame]

The Russians would be better than obama.

traitorous twat say what?

I really think this is a nothing story. Russian bombers came within eyesight of St. Andrews in Scotland 2 years ago. Even if a sub or bomber get close, the cold war is over and there won't be an attack. Just prepare better next time and move on.

Forum List

Back