Russian Sambo.

I'm sorry, but "Sambo" is a trigger word. You'll have to stop using it. :auiqs.jpg:

s-l1000.jpg

Mmmmmm ... pancakes.

None better -

aunt_jemima_31.jpg

Otherwise, the boxer just shuffled up totally guarded and knocked the martial artist out with a series of combinations which the martial artist had no defense against.
Must have been poor martial artists.

I was a pretty good operator in Taekwondo. I earned my last rating during a full contact competition in Bangkok in 1973. I caught all hell over that one. US Service Men were not allowed to compete in that venue but we did anyway. The Minimum Rating to compete was Brown so it was some pretty tough competition. I did very well but was finally defeated by a Thai Boxer. The next year, they outlaws the Thai Boxers from the Competition. It seems the mixture of US Boxing and French Savat was devastating and the normal Marital Artists weren't prepared for it. Regular Marital Artist were normal knocked out early on. I lasted a bit longer because my House Boy was a retired Thai National Boxer who helped to prepare me for it.

I got out of any of that for a couple of years but started to put on weight. There wasn't any decent dojos in the area I was in but there was one hell of a Base Boxing program ran by two ex pro fighters, a middleweight and a Heavyweight. I thought I should weigh 150 lbs like the weight charts said. I dropped weight under the program, got down to a light middles weight after 6 months. Had all the moves. I lost my first and only 4 fights as a light weight. I lost too much weight. I was the same height as the other lights but I was about 4 inches wider and thicker. I lost some of my power which lost some of my speed. I put the pounds back on to middle weight and won the next 19 fights with 16 knockouts. What you may not know, when you first start out, you are a chump and they put you against other chumps. By fight 15, I was pitted against the cream of the crop. No longer was I coming out just out of breath and sore. I was getting hurt. By round 3, it's very similar to hitting each other with 2 by 4s because your padding in the gloves are sweat filled. Those 10lb gloves are over 20 lbs at that point and hard as cement. Gloves are not there to protect the other person. They are there to keep you from breaking your hands and wrists at that point. Due to a split decision in fight 21, I put a young golden gloves kid into the hospital. I meant to hurt him in fight 21. I never saw anyone taken out of the ring on a stretcher before like that. I started to hit less, not nearly as hard. And I started to get hurt more and more. After fight 27, which I won, my trainer came to me and said two words no fighter ever wants to hear. "it's time". My record as a Middle Weight was 26-0-1. If you don't think an Interservice Boxer isn't good, he compares with a Boston Club Fighter which can be a Pros worst nightmare on a given night. I took another year off mostly to heal and get my head back.

I resurfaced in PKA. Boxers did extremely well in that sport. But it's a sport like most Martial arts. It's highly regulated and heavily refereed. But they handicapped the boxers by having an eight effective kick rule per round. Meaning, if the Boxer walked out and just knocked the other person out before the 8 kicks then he was disqualified. So you got the 8 kicks out of the way as fast as you could. But, the funny thing is, the Martial Artist just wouldn't cooperate all the time, drat it all. He was better with his kicks and leg blocks so the first round was his fight and if he could knock you out he wasn't disqualified because his 8 kicks came faster. It did even things out.

Case in point, The worlds best Mixed Martial Artist against a Retired Middle Weight Boxer. This isn't that far in the past. Merriwether could have ended that fight in the first round but chose to carry it on to make it look better. Brought in more money that way. And it just might make a few more bucks in a rematch. Merriweather ended it exactly when he chose to. The Boxer has one punch that no Martial Artist masters and that is a short 6 inch punch that brings it home right on the button whether it's on the chin or on the sternum. It's setup with a series of combination. A Boxer of good quality will try and break that combination but a Martial Artist doesn't have the training for it. I can handle a Martial Artist every time but the only way to handle a boxer is to shoot him.

How can you know what particular technique any martial artist may have trained with? You make it sound as if all martial artists save boxers neglect hand work.

My background is primarily Tae Kwon Do, but I've cross-trained in other styles as well, including traditional boxing.

Just curious.

I have trained a bit in Jitsiu and Judo. In real life, they don't have a place in a knock down dragout with an experience boxer who is going to hit you hard and fast between blinks. Since I have faced both, I have a pretty good idea. I can face a lower degree black belt in my younger days with reasonable success. But I do know that if the boxer is at least a semi pro or a club fighter, best chance is to just shoot them.

Case in point, The worlds best Mixed Martial Artist against a Retired Middle Weight Boxer. This isn't that far in the past. Merriwether could have ended that fight in the first round but chose to carry it on to make it look better. Brought in more money that way. And it just might make a few more bucks in a rematch. Merriweather ended it exactly when he chose to.
Very poor comparison since that was a boxing match, not a martial arts match. Yes Merriweather is a better boxer in the confined rules of a boxing sport match, but put him in a street fight with McGregor and Merriweather would get whipped.

The Boxer has one punch that no Martial Artist masters and that is a short 6 inch punch that brings it home right on the button whether it's on the chin or on the sternum. It's setup with a series of combination. A Boxer of good quality will try and break that combination but a Martial Artist doesn't have the training for it
Someone should have told this to all the good boxers who get consistently manhandled in MMA fights because their toolbox is far too shallow.

I can handle a Martial Artist every time but the only way to handle a boxer is to shoot him.
Or kick his legs out from under him. Or take him down and pound his face in. Or submit him. Or grab the plum and knee him in the face. Etc.

I have trained a bit in Jitsiu and Judo. In real life, they don't have a place in a knock down dragout with an experience boxer who is going to hit you hard and fast between blinks.
Nonsense. It's a matter of time before a grappler gets their hands on you, then the boxer is done.

Former IBF world champion boxer James "Lights Out" Toney (known for his fast hands) versus Randy Couture, who has a Greco-Roman wrestling background. All Couture needed was one shoot to get a hold of a toe and boxer is helpless.

Last edited:
Former IBF cruiserweight champion Arthur "King" Williams learning all about Muay Thai.

Boxing versus Muay Thai, someone should have told the boxer that he cannot be beaten without a shot.

If you're showing Sambo at least show it against a non-compliant opponent. How about some Fedor?

Fedor Emelianenko - Russian fighter style Rancriotin. A fight without rules. In these battles every sport preparation is welcomed. Fedor shows "combat sambo", but not "sports sambo".
Of course, Fedor is a great fighter. He "kills" the opponent in a few minutes.

Case in point, The worlds best Mixed Martial Artist against a Retired Middle Weight Boxer. This isn't that far in the past. Merriwether could have ended that fight in the first round but chose to carry it on to make it look better. Brought in more money that way. And it just might make a few more bucks in a rematch. Merriweather ended it exactly when he chose to.
Very poor comparison since that was a boxing match, not a martial arts match. Yes Merriweather is a better boxer in the confined rules of a boxing sport match, but put him in a street fight with McGregor and Merriweather would get whipped.

The Boxer has one punch that no Martial Artist masters and that is a short 6 inch punch that brings it home right on the button whether it's on the chin or on the sternum. It's setup with a series of combination. A Boxer of good quality will try and break that combination but a Martial Artist doesn't have the training for it
Someone should have told this to all the good boxers who get consistently manhandled in MMA fights because their toolbox is far too shallow.

I can handle a Martial Artist every time but the only way to handle a boxer is to shoot him.
Or kick his legs out from under him. Or take him down and pound his face in. Or submit him. Or grab the plum and knee him in the face. Etc.

I had a 3rd Don show me how a boxer can negate the Martial Artists feet. It's by turning sideways and putting most of the weight on the back foot. The kicks and sweeps to the forward foot becomes worthless. And it leaves the Martial Artist open for the boxer to close while the Martial Artist is balanced that way.

I have trained a bit in Jitsiu and Judo. In real life, they don't have a place in a knock down dragout with an experience boxer who is going to hit you hard and fast between blinks.
Nonsense. It's a matter of time before a grappler gets their hands on you, then the boxer is done.

Former IBF world champion boxer James "Lights Out" Toney (known for his fast hands) versus Randy Couture, who has a Greco-Roman wrestling background. All Couture needed was one shoot to get a hold of a toe and boxer is helpless.

When this was done Couture was at his Hight of his UFC career. He was about the Best UFC Heavyweight that has ever lived. Note the word "Heavyweight". And he was in his prime. Meanwhile, Toney, while when he was at his prime, was one of the best Middleweights ever. But he finally retired. It looks like he pulled a super Foreman and had way too many Big Macs, Fries and Shakes and was well past his prime. Too much weight loses as much power and speed as too little weight. And Toney was definitely on the slow side which took away any advantage he might have had at all. His hits were slow and that allow Couture to get into the exact position he needed and to manhandle Toney any way he wanted. Plus, it appears Couture was well trained for this particular fight and Toney just showed up on the Bus.

The struggle developed at the beginning of the 20th century by Kharlampiev.
It is the basis for the preparation of special troops of the USSR and Russia.

There is sports sambo and fighting.
In the Soviet Union, children studied this style, starting from the age of 12.Combat

sambo goes into the style of Kadochnikov ...

This is a sports Sambo
Show combat Sambo prohibited by the Law of Russia

There was a Russian cage fighter back in the 90's--I think his name was Zinoviez or Zinoviev? He used Sambo to win a ton of matches that were fun to watch. Myself, I prefer De Todos Partes and Tai Chi Push Hands and Hook Fingers.

The struggle developed at the beginning of the 20th century by Kharlampiev.
It is the basis for the preparation of special troops of the USSR and Russia.

There is sports sambo and fighting.
In the Soviet Union, children studied this style, starting from the age of 12.Combat

sambo goes into the style of Kadochnikov ...

This is a sports Sambo
Show combat Sambo prohibited by the Law of Russia

There was a Russian cage fighter back in the 90's--I think his name was Zinoviez or Zinoviev? He used Sambo to win a ton of matches that were fun to watch. Myself, I prefer De Todos Partes and Tai Chi Push Hands and Hook Fingers.

Frankly speaking, I did not see such competitions in the 1990s, since there was banditry and war in Russia. On TV, the devil knows what, from flying saucers to ghosts. Cable and satellite television became available in the second half of the 90s only for people with a good salary. A good salary is more than $ 500 per month. Cache in in hand. Satellite television cost 70 dollars a month.

I had a 3rd Don show me how a boxer can negate the Martial Artists feet. It's by turning sideways and putting most of the weight on the back foot. The kicks and sweeps to the forward foot becomes worthless. And it leaves the Martial Artist open for the boxer to close while the Martial Artist is balanced that way.
And none of these high level boxers getting whipped by martial artists thought of this or had coaches/trainers who knew of this secret technique that "no can defend" right? You've got the secret key that they just couldn't figure out. Right...

There are literally dozens of well documented challenge matches where boxers face off against martial artists and they lose the overwhelming majority of them. Wrestlers can control where the fight goes, boxers cannot because it's a matter of time before they get grabbed and all their skills are rendered useless.

Last edited:
When this was done Couture was at his Hight of his UFC career. He was about the Best UFC Heavyweight that has ever lived. Note the word "Heavyweight". And he was in his prime.
Nope.

1. This was the 2nd to last fight of Couture's career, he was 47 years old and way past his prime, hence taking the gimmick fight against the boxer in his twilight. Couture has a very long career but he was in his prime in the early 2003-2006 fighting against Lidell, Ortiz, and Belfort at LHW.

2. Couture had returned to light heavyweight at this point in his career, the two fights prior to this (Hunt, Vera) both being at 205 lbs LHW. The fight was at heavweight (for Toney) but Couture came in at 220, which is just a light heavyweight who didn't bother cutting weight for the fight since he didn't need to.

It didn't take Couture being in his prime to take down a boxer, and once on the ground the boxer is helpless.

Meanwhile, Toney, while when he was at his prime, was one of the best Middleweights ever. But he finally retired.
Actually Toney had fights in every year leading up to the Couture bout, and continued boxing afterwards. He won the cruiserweight championship in 2003 then moved up to heavyweight where he beat Evander Holyfield. He was five years younger than Couture when they fought, and had been at heavyweight for seven years.

Last edited:
From what I see, much of this is taken from the Free Style Grecoroman sport. It looks good in the ring but in a real fight against a seasoned fighter, it's pretty worthless.

This is not true.
Sambo was created as a self-defense tool for the police (NKVD).
This is a real situation, not a battle in the ring.
The logic is simple.
What will you do if a person takes out a knife and hits you?
Or pulls out a gun. Or brass knuckles.
You can not fight like in the ring. he will kill you.
You only have 1 chance to grab his hands.
Do not let him use his weapon. This is a very frequent scenario in real life.

here people did not control the hands of attackers
(Pregnant women and children please do not look at these videos.)

Forum List

Back