Russian Roulette???

Joz said:
I tried posting a link to web md but couldn't get it to upload. I was looking for the properties of semen as MM said it was a blood based secretion. I haven't been able to find anything that backs that up. Anyone else? He said that's the reason semen is used for DNA for evidence . But in parental discrepencies salivia is used. There is no blood in saliva.
According to web md HIV has been found in saliva; deep kissing may spread it, but they aren't sure; but probably not regular kissing. Do NOT share a toothbrush :puke:

So, would you give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to a stranger ??
Depends on what she looked like-----( where do you get these questions anyway Joz?)

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
Joz said:
I tried posting a link to web md but couldn't get it to upload. I was looking for the properties of semen as MM said it was a blood based secretion. I haven't been able to find anything that backs that up. Anyone else?
I don't know what that means: blood based.

Semen is produced in the male reproductive organs. Blood comes from your marrow.

He said that's the reason semen is used for DNA for evidence.
No, semen is used because it has cells within it that contain DNA => sperm. Spermatozoa are an excellent source of DNA because of their relatively small size yet compartively large amount of internal nuclear material with respect to other types of cells.

Semen itself is mostly water and salts, and is produced by seminal vesicles, which is completely different than the way blood is formed.

But in parental discrepencies salivia is used. There is no blood in saliva.
According to web md HIV has been found in saliva; deep kissing may spread it, but they aren't sure; but probably not regular kissing.
HIV can survive in the mucous membranes which surround all of your bodily orifices.

So, would you give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to a stranger ??
Probably.

Joz said:
From what I've found, semen consists of fluid (whatever that means) sperm, alkaline, lubricant & high fructose content.
I also read that semen contains a hormone that increases a woman's happy mood. Haven't found anything to substanciate this other than the article.

And personally, I think I'd have trouble giving resuscitation to someone. In fact, I don't like the single men I know, kissing me on the lips. I don't know where those lips have been!
Sounds like ya got yourself pretty sealed off there Joz!

Joz said:
I'm not "sealed off" but I am choosy who touches me.
I found at ~hivpositive.com~ that HIV is found in urine, feces, vomit, blood, semen, vaginal fluids, breast milk, saliva & tears. But not in sweat. That I don't understand.
I would like to be instrumental in saving a life. But at the risk of my own??? I don 't know.

Now THAT is a good question----but many have answered "yes" and risk their lives EVERYDAY to protect us. A true test of love? Maybe.

Joz said:
You're speaking in a broader sense. I appreciate all the people in the medical field.

I'm talking about walking down the street, someone collapses in front of you, you have NO idea who they are. Do you exchange saliva with them?

I was talking about our troops

Joz said:
They are remarkable & selfless people. And I appreciate them every day. Because of them we can speak however we want....even against this great country..because they have fought for the fredom to do so. I'm not one of them.
It's a good self measurement question tho-----I saw a friend get into some water and thought he would most certainly drown--I didn't jump in and thank God he made it---I became very humble that day.

Joz said:
I'm talking about walking down the street, someone collapses in front of you, you have NO idea who they are. Do you exchange saliva with them?

Well, if you are giving mouth-to-mouth to someone, you may end up spitting in their mouth, but the odds of you contracting HIV from them are pretty miniscule.

First, they have to have HIV.
Second, the HIV has to be sufficiently advanced.
Third, they have to posses an open sore in their mouth (HIV can survive in mucous membranes, but it does not live there).
Fourth, you'd have to get a whole lot of their spit in your mouth.
Fifth, you have to have an open sore in your mouth.
Six, you'd have to not use listerine after the fact.

Actually, I answered 'probably'.

My point in the last post was that by you giving someone else mouth-to-mouth, you aren't really exchanging saliva.

What little transfer there is would be from you to them.

So if you have HIV you should let someone else give them mouth-to-mouth if you are really that concerned about it.

Forum List

Back