Russian military unit in Syria

If true I can't say I'm really surprised the U.N. and the rest of the world has been unwilling to get involved in Syria for various reasons so it shouldn't be a real shock Russia would try to aid Bashar I doubt they see any real blow back from it.

Syrian military armed to the teeth...
:confused:
Study: Huge increase in Syria's weapons purchases in recent years
March 19th, 2012 - Syria's imports of weapons increased nearly sixfold between 2007 and 2011 compared to the previous five-year period, a new study found.
The bulk of Syria's military weapons came from Russia, according to the report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Russia's arms sales to Syria have come under fire by U.S. officials. The Pentagon has been pressured by a group of senators to end a multimillion dollar U.S. military contract with Russia for helicopter parts for use by the Afghanistan air force.

"Syria’s imports of major weapons increased by 580 per cent between 2002–2006 and 2007–11. Russia supplied 78 per cent of Syrian imports in 2007–11, followed by Belarus (17 per cent) and Iran (5 per cent). Russia’s arms supplies included an estimated 36 Pantsir-S1 and 2 Buk-M2E SAM systems and 2 Bastion-P coastal defence missile systems. Russia has opposed a proposal for a UN arms embargo on Syria and plans further deliveries, including 24 MiG-29M2 combat aircraft and 36 Yak-130 trainer/combat aircraft."

The Pantsir is a short-range air defense system that can intercept missiles at less than a dozen miles range, and the Buk-M2E SAM is a surface-to-air missile system with long range, high altitude capability, though not capable of intercepting a missile, like the American Patriot system, explained weapons expert John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org. In an email to Security Clearance, Pike said the Bastion-P coastal missile defense system is "a big supersonic anti-shipping cruise missile, overkill for the Israeli navy, but just fine for a U.S. carrier."

The MiG-29M2 has a murky track record. Algeria purchased some but "sent them back because of poor quality control," Pike said. Russia, which is second only to the United States in arms sales, sent 10% of their total weapons to customers in the Middle East, according to SIPRI's report.

Source

Here's an interesting take on Syria. Like most people I find Assad a fuckwit - him and his regime are nothing but repressive and totalitarian.

However, I was speaking to a cab driver recently here in Sydney, who is Syrian and moved here due to the Assad regime. I said to him that he must be glad that the Assad family might be ousted.

Surprisingly he said no. he hoped he stayed on. While he hated the regime, he said there was an even deeper fear that a Muslim fundamentalist regime might take over. He said that is what most of the pro-Assad military are fighting for - not Assad himself, but against what might replace him...

Kofi havin' a confab with the Russkies...
:clap2:
Peace Envoy Annan Presses Russia on Syria
March 25, 2012 - International peace envoy Kofi Annan is trying to garner support from Russia to help stop bloodshed in Syria during the crackdown on an anti-government uprising.
It’s top news across Russia. Kofi Annan, the United Nations and Arab League special envoy, met in Moscow with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev as parts of efforts to end Syria's year-long violence that has killed at least 8,000 people. Medvedev said this could be Syria’s last chance to avoid a long-lasting and bloody civil war. Therefore, he said, Russia will offer its full support on any level to the extent that Russia is capable. Annan praised Russia's assistance.

As we move forward, I will continue to rely on your support and advice, and I think you are right to say that Syria has an opportunity today to work with me and this mediation process to put an end to the conflict, to the fighting, and really to allow access to humanitarian, those in need of humanitarian assistance, as well as to embark on the political process that will lead to a peaceful settlement. Medvedev endorsed that goal.

The Russian president said he very much hopes Annan's efforts will have a positive outcome. The Kremlin has said it would be hard to stop the bloodshed in Syria until external support for the opposition is terminated. And it maintains that dialogue with both sides is necessary for peace. Russia is an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and has vetoed two U.N. Security Council resolutions on the Syrian conflict, viewing them as one-sided against Assad. But last week, Moscow did support a Security Council statement endorsing Annan’s mission.

The special envoy has drawn up a six-point plan for peace, including a cease-fire, the immediate withdrawal of heavy armor from residential areas and humanitarian assistance. Russia’s foreign ministry recently endorsed a call from the International Committee of the Red Cross for the Syrian government and rebels to stop fighting for a block of time each day to give the agency access to the wounded. Russia also agreed that jailed protesters should have visitors. Damascus has not agreed to daily cease-fires and has not granted the ICRC permission to enter every part of the country affected by the fighting.

Source

See also:

US, Allies Considering 'Non-Lethal' Aid for Syrian Rebels
March 25, 2012 - The White House says President Barack Obama is considering providing Syrian rebels with "non-lethal" aid in their year-long uprising against the country's autocratic leader Bashar al-Assad.
Obama discussed ways of helping the Syrian rebels with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday in Seoul, where they will attend a nuclear security summit. Deputy U.S. National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes says the two leaders agreed to raise the issue of non-lethal aid at a "Friends of Syria" meeting in Turkey on April 1. Rhodes says such aid may include medical supplies and communications equipment but not weapons. After meeting Mr. Obama in Seoul, Erdogan said Turkey and its partners "cannot remain a spectator" to Syria's conflict and must do something "in the framework of international law." Obama said he and Mr. Erdogan also agreed that Syria must begin a transition to legitimate government.

The United States, Turkey and their allies have been reluctant to arm the loosely-organized Syrian rebels trying to oust President Assad, fearing that an escalation of the conflict will worsen a humanitarian crisis in parts of the country. Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Sunday a Syria peace plan drafted by international envoy Kofi Annan "may be the last chance" for the country to avoid a "protracted bloody civil war." Medvedev discussed the plan with Annan in Moscow on Sunday and promised assist him "at any level."

The U.N.-Arab League envoy's proposal calls on the Assad government and the rebels to agree to a cease-fire and begin a dialogue on resolving the conflict peacefully. After meeting the Russian president, Annan said the Assad government "has an opportunity" to work with him to end the fighting, allow humanitarian access to affected civilians and embark on a political process. Syrian rights activists say pro-Assad troops continued assaults on several opposition hubs around the country on Sunday, shelling the central city of Homs and attacking rebels in the southern province of Daraa. They say several soldiers and rebels were killed in the fighting in the Daraa town of Nawa. Activists say Syrian rebels also attacked security forces near Damascus.

U.S.-based rights group Human Rights Watch accused the Syrian military of using civilians - including children and the elderly - as human shields in battles with the rebels. In a report released Sunday, the group said it had witness testimony of Syrian troops forcing civilians to march in front of government tanks in towns and villages in the northern province of Idlib. Human Rights Watch called the use of human shields "abhorrent" and demanded that Syria immediately stop the practice. The United Nations says at least 8,000 people have been killed in the Assad government's crackdown on the revolt, which began one year ago with peaceful protests, then became increasingly militarized.

Source

Here's an interesting take on Syria. Like most people I find Assad a fuckwit - him and his regime are nothing but repressive and totalitarian.

However, I was speaking to a cab driver recently here in Sydney, who is Syrian and moved here due to the Assad regime. I said to him that he must be glad that the Assad family might be ousted.

Surprisingly he said no. he hoped he stayed on. While he hated the regime, he said there was an even deeper fear that a Muslim fundamentalist regime might take over. He said that is what most of the pro-Assad military are fighting for - not Assad himself, but against what might replace him...

That is probably true in the other Arab and ME countries where democracy and Arab Spring is breaking out all over. One thing about the dictators friendly to the free world (Saddam included) being in charge is the peace and stability they provided. Now that they are being toppled, the replacements could be many times worse.

Anti-terrorism squad of Russian Marines is now in Syria, presumably to put down the revolt going on down there. Geez, I didn't see this coming, that Putin prick is definitely screwing with us.

Russian Anti-Terror Troops Arrive in Syria - Yahoo! News

When Putin started his first term, he had the task of rebuilding the economy, military, infrastructure and many other things. This required cooperation with the West which made him appear to be a moderate if not just downright sweet. As conditions continued to improve for Russia with Medvedev (?sp) "in charge" while Putin pulled his strings, the writing on the wall started to look like old school USSR. Now Putin is back and is about to go old school KGB on the world.

Sounds like Russia losin' sympathy for Assad...
:clap2:
Russia: Annan may be Syria's 'last chance'
March 25 (UPI) -- Russia is encouraging U.N. Special Envoy for Syria Kofi Annan in his attempt to broker peace between the Syrian government and opposition forces, officials say.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Sunday Annan's impending mission to Syria may be the country's last hope before it becomes embroiled in all out civil war, the Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported. "We appreciate your efforts. Perhaps, it's Syria's last chance to avoid a bloody civil war," Medvedev said to Annan in a meeting. "We are very hopeful that your work will have a positive result."

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stressed Annan should urge both sides toward peace, ITAR-Tass reported. Lavrov said the world "should render common support to the Annan mission. This implies non-interference in Syrian internal affairs and impermissibility of support to either side of the conflict."

The U.N. Security Council adopted Annan's six-point plan to end the Syrian conflict Wednesday. His plan calls for a cease-fire followed by swift access for aid agencies. If Syria refuses to comply, the Security Council threatened "further steps." In the year since protests began against Syrian President Bashar Assad, more than 8,000 people have been killed, the United Nations has estimated.

Read more: Russia: Annan may be Syria's 'last chance' - UPI.com

Annan urges Syrian regime to lay down arms first...
:eusa_shifty:
Syria clashes erupt as Annan urges cease-fire
March 30, 2012 -- Clashes and protests broke out across many parts of Syria Friday, further complicating a peace mission by U.N. envoy Kofi Annan who urged the government to lay down its weapons first to immediately end the country's yearlong crisis.
As angry protesters lamented inaction by Arab countries, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tried to work out how to help the opposition in talks with Saudi Arabia, the biggest advocate for arming the rebels against President Bashar Assad. Her visit comes ahead of a 60-nation weekend gathering of the so-called "Friends of the Syrian People" in Istanbul. The meeting is an effort to find ways to aid Syria's fractured opposition, which has been frustrated by the government's military gains on the ground. The U.S. is seeking to unify Syria's opposition movement and find ways to further isolate Assad's regime. Assad accepted a peace plan brokered by Annan earlier this week and promised Thursday to "spare no effort" to make sure it succeeds. But he demanded that armed forces battling his regime commit to halting violence as well.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Mark Toner said there have been no signs that Assad is following through on a cease-fire, CBS Radio News correspondent Cami McCormick reports. "We're going to remain skeptical until we see real action on the ground, real steps being taken," Toner told reporters. Underscoring the challenges, activists reported shifting clashes, some close to the capital Damascus, and others in the northern Idlib province, the restive central province of Homs and the country's east. The reported death toll ranged from 34 to 42.

Thousands of angry protesters emerged from mosques following Friday prayers nationwide calling for Assad's ouster and protesting resolutions adopted by Arab leaders at a summit the day before in Baghdad. The leaders called for talks between the government and the opposition — not for Assad to step down, which is the key opposition demand. "Talks with the butcher?" read a banner carried by a child in the Damascus suburb of Arbeen. "The most woeful weapon facing Syrians is the abandonment by Arabs and the silence of Muslims," read another carried by protesters in the northern town of Kfarrouma.

Syria's uprising began a year ago with peaceful anti-Assad protests, which were met with a fierce government crackdown. Since then, army defectors and protesters have taken up weapons, saying their only hope is to drive out Assad through force. The U.N. estimates more than 9,000 people have been killed in the fighting. Many Syrians are frustrated at the lack of will for foreign military intervention in Syria and are deeply skeptical Assad will carry out Annan's peace plan, saying the president has accepted it just to win time while his forces continue their bloody campaign to crush the uprising.

MORE

See also:

Splits in 'Friends of Syria' group may help embattled leader Assad
March 30, 2012 | There was a moment at the State Department's daily briefing Wednesday when spokeswoman Victoria Nuland referred to the "Friends of Syria" group as "Friends of the Syrian People." Asked why, she said the organizers of the group's summit April 1 in Istanbul, Turkey, preferred the new name.
That such a trivial matter would even be discussed against the backdrop of the continuing slaughter in Syria is instructive. Indeed, it may be one of the few points of agreement for the more than 60 nations that will attend the upcoming gathering - which skeptics note will take place on April Fools’ Day. The United States and others created the group in a bid to bypass Russia and install a united front against the Assad regime, after that country and China vetoed two efforts in the United Nations Security Council to push through a meaningful resolution against the regime of Syrian leader Bashar Al Assad.

Yet questions about the group’s effectiveness are growing amid reports of splits with Washington over what approach to take. The U.S. is openly backing the recently announced six-point plan by Kofi Annan, the UN/Arab League envoy to Syria. It seeking an end to the violence, the plan calls for the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people to be addressed, an immediate halt to troop movements, a daily two-hour pause in the fighting for humanitarian aid, the release of arbitrarily detained prisoners, guarantees of freedom of movement for journalists and respect for the right to peacefully demonstrate.

But Tony Badran, a research fellow at the Washington-based Foundation for Defense of Democracies, says U.S. allies such as Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar appear to have stepped out in front of Obama administration by pushing for "robust action." Divisions were already apparent during the first Friends of Syria meeting in Tunisia last month, when Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal walked out, complaining that not enough was being done to stop the Syrian government from killing its citizens.

The Saudis have publicly supported the idea of arming of the Syrian opposition, and some sources say they have quietly begun sending weapons to the rebels. Qatar has also spoken out in favor of arming the Syrian rebels. Ali Al-Ahmed, a Saudi scholar and director of the Gulf Institute in Washington, D.C., told Fox News that he didn't feel the upcoming Friends of Syria meeting was "going to be much different from the first one,” adding, “realities on the ground are now more favorable to the Syrian regime than they were a month ago."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...Internal+-+World+Latest+-+Text)#ixzz1qdaxw2Zn

Last edited:
I don't want to talk about innocent people being slaughtered in Syria by whatshisname. That's old news. I want to talk about Zimmerman and my fabulous hoodie.

The business people I know from that area including Syrians feel the same way. As bad as Mubrak and Gaddaffi were, what replaced them was 10 times worse.

What's surprising is that so few saw the Russians coming. Syria has a major Russian base. Of course they aren't going to let it become part of someone else's civil war.

I don't want to talk about innocent people being slaughtered in Syria by whatshisname. That's old news. I want to talk about Zimmerman and my fabulous hoodie.

I'm sure there are plenty of threads for you to do that in. I think that "hoodie" stuff is stupid, but hey, to each their own. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back