Russian floating NUCLEAR power plant heads out to Baltic Sea. What can go wrong over time?

Baz Ares

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2017
Controversial Russian floating nuclear power plant heads out to Baltic Sea

Russia’s controversial floating nuclear power plant has headed out for its first sea voyage.

The floating plant, the Akademik Lomonosov, was towed Saturday out of the St. Petersburg shipyard where it was constructed. It is to be towed through the Baltic Sea and around the northern tip of Norway to Murmansk, where its reactors are to be loaded with nuclear fuel.

READ MORE: Nuclear accident in Russia or Kazakhstan left radioactive pollution over Europe, no health impacts expected

The Lomonosov is to be put into service in 2019 in the Arctic off the coast of Chukotka in the far east, providing power for a port town and for oil rigs.

upload_2018-4-28_16-0-12.png

READ MORE: Russians arrested for crypto-mining at nuclear facility

The project has been widely criticized by environmentalists. Greenpeace has dubbed it a “floating Chernobyl.”
-----------------------------
:eusa_think: I'm for more nuclear, wind and solar power plants.
Coal needs to DIE as providing electric power!

I'm not cool with this floating around in the sea of Chukotka in the far east!

If they want to float it in the Black Sea or the Caspian Sea, sure.

The Bering Sea is rough if you watch say 'Deadliest Catch'..
Up in Chukotka the sea storms are even bigger.

The thang will be electrically powered. So I think when the yuge storms are coming they can move.
the thang. FFS! You want this moving around? I hope the thang is built to sink without cracking open.
I rather see plants like this/these built inland

Last edited:
  • Banned
upload_2018-4-28_16-2-18.png

5ae490734a826.image.jpg

Map_Plans_for_floating_nuclear_power_plants.jpg

If one of these explodes in the Bering Sea (Vilyuchinsk coast). We have no MORE....Good eating King Crab..

How-to-Boil-Alaskan-King-Crab-Legs1.jpg

.:CryingCow:

Last edited:
  • Banned
Another idea looks like this.
offshore_nuclear_power_plant.png

The design looks very stable. Bottom heavy.

• Banned
Akademik Lomonosov - Wikipedia
KLT-40 reactor - Wikipedia

2 modified KLT-40S Nuclear Reactors (Icebreaker type) producing 35x2 MW-electric or 150x2 MWthermal

The KLT-40 and KLT-40M reactors are nuclear fission reactors used to power the Taymyr-class icebreakers (KLT-40M, 171 MW) and the LASH carrier Sevmorput (KLT-40, 135 MW).[1] They are pressurized water reactors (PWR) fueled by either 30–40% or 90 %[note 1] enriched uranium-235 fuel to produce 135 to 171 MW of thermal power.[2]

The KLT-40S variant is used in the Russian floating nuclear power station Akademik Lomonosov. It was developed by OKBM Afrikantov and produced by NMZ. The KLT-40S produces 150 MW thermal (about 52 MWe at 35% efficiency). The KLT-40S also uses low-enriched uranium at 14.1% enrichment to meet International Proliferation Standards.[3]

:dunno:Okay, seems the IPS is being used. And IEA is following this as well tracking this shit. But the waste will be dumped in the oceans. It's just the way Russiworkske,

Russia’s controversial floating nuclear power plant has headed out for its first sea voyage.

The floating plant, the Akademik Lomonosov, was towed Saturday out of the St. Petersburg shipyard where it was constructed. It is to be towed through the Baltic Sea and around the northern tip of Norway to Murmansk, where its reactors are to be loaded with nuclear fuel.

READ MORE: Nuclear accident in Russia or Kazakhstan left radioactive pollution over Europe, no health impacts expected

The Lomonosov is to be put into service in 2019 in the Arctic off the coast of Chukotka in the far east, providing power for a port town and for oil rigs.

View attachment 190471

The project has been widely criticized by environmentalists. Greenpeace has dubbed it a “floating Chernobyl.”

The thang will be electrically powered. So I think when the yuge storms are coming they can move.
the thang. FFS! You want this moving around? I hope the thang is built to sink without cracking open.
They are going to rename the ship "Land Mine". LOL

• Banned

View attachment 190471

They are going to rename the ship "Land Mine". LOL

We have those already. These will be Naval/Ocean mines.
So maybe call it.

"Ocean Radiation"

2 modified KLT-40S Nuclear Reactors (Icebreaker type) producing 35x2 MW-electric or 150x2 MWthermal

The KLT-40 and KLT-40M reactors are nuclear fission reactors used to power the Taymyr-class icebreakers (KLT-40M, 171 MW) and the LASH carrier Sevmorput (KLT-40, 135 MW).[1] They are pressurized water reactors (PWR) fueled by either 30–40% or 90 %[note 1] enriched uranium-235 fuel to produce 135 to 171 MW of thermal power.[2]

The KLT-40S variant is used in the Russian floating nuclear power station Akademik Lomonosov. It was developed by OKBM Afrikantov and produced by NMZ. The KLT-40S produces 150 MW thermal (about 52 MWe at 35% efficiency). The KLT-40S also uses low-enriched uranium at 14.1% enrichment to meet International Proliferation Standards.[3]

:dunno:Okay, seems the IPS is being used. And IEA is following this as well tracking this shit. But the waste will be dumped in the oceans. It's just the way Russiworkske,
I'm not liking the sound of this. Our oceans are pretty much our life line. What happens once we've contaminated them with nuclear waste?

• Banned

I'm not liking the sound of this. Our oceans are pretty much our life line. What happens once we've contaminated them with nuclear waste?

Ghg1x7C.gif
:dunno:

View attachment 190471

The United States has dozens of nuclear power plants patrolling the world's oceans.

View attachment 190471

The United States has dozens of nuclear power plants patrolling the world's oceans.
True, but not the same. And less powerful, and more protected.
Both Russia and the U.S. has had them for decades. Can you name them?

View attachment 190471

How do you know they are "more protected?" What difference does it make if they are "not the same?" You aren't criticizing a particular style of nuclear power plants. Your criticizing nuclear power plants in the ocean, period.

View attachment 190471

How do you know they are "more protected?" What difference does it make if they are "not the same?" You aren't criticizing a particular style of nuclear power plants. Your criticizing nuclear power plants in the ocean, period.
Nuke Sub locations are posted on the internet?
And yes, these power plants are not the same.

View attachment 190471

Nuke Sub locations are posted on the internet?
And yes, these power plants are not the same.

No two nuclear power plants are the same, unless they are built from the same set of blueprints. That's a distinction without a difference. You failed to indicate any meaningful difference.

Forum List

Back