Russian airliner in fatal crash near Yaroslavl

I'm a hockey nut and this summer has been brutal for hockey...

This crash only killed 10 former NHL'ers...

A terrible shame. Aeroflot is one airline I will not fly on. I remember one flight I took back in 1998 from Moscow to Baku there was a family cooking in the aisle...over an open flame! Nothing was done. Simply madness. I hitchhiked back to Moscow!

Russian airliner in fatal crash near Yaroslavl
An airliner carrying a major league ice hockey team has crashed in Russia killing 36 people...
BBC News - Russian airliner in fatal crash near Yaroslavl
Whole team on their way to leauge opening game. Some former NHL players were on board:

Pavol Demitra
Jan Marek
Josef Vasicek

Stefan Liv from Sweden also plays for Lokomotiv.

Tragic.

A chartered jet carrying Russia's major league ice hockey team Lokomotiv has crashed on take-off near the central city of Yaroslavl, with 43 deaths.
Two people survived with serious injuries after the disaster, which saw the jet burst into flames shortly after leaving an airport near the city.
It appears many of the team were aboard, heading to Belarus for the season's first match.
Russian reports suggest the Yak-42 plane may have struck a radio mast.
Witnesses saw it burst into flames shortly after taking off from the Tunoshna airport, about 250km (160 miles) north-east of Moscow.
Some of the wreckage and bodies fell in the nearby River Tunoshna, a tributary of the Volga.
All 11 foreign citizens on board the plane were killed, including the team's Canadian coach, Brad McCrimmon, and Swedish goalie Stefan Liv.
Russian player Alexander Galimov survived the crash with 80% burns along with a member of the crew. Local media briefly reported the player had died of his injuries, but a doctor at the local hospital later said he was still alive after undergoing surgery.
The second survivor was identified as Alexander Sizov, member of the eight-strong crew.
My prayers for the family and friends of the 43 persons aboard the craft who perished. I'm so sorry for Russia's, not to mention the athletic world's huge loss.

Forum List

Back