Russia warns U.S. after missile deal signed

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Russia's Foreign Ministry Tuesday threatened a "military-technological" response if the United States deploys a missile defense system in former Soviet-bloc nations near Russia's borders.

The ministry issued the statement after U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice signed a deal Tuesday with her Czech counterpart, Karel Schwarzenberg, to place radar units for the system inside the borders of the Czech Republic.

U.S.-Czech missile deal raises Russian ire - CNN.com

I am not sure why a Defensive shield should be so alarming, unless of course you plan an attacking someone someday.

The argument put forth by Russia is IF we have a shield and they do not, we can attack them and they can not protect themselves, HOWEVER that ignores the fact the US has repeatedly offered the technology to Russia.

Personally, I think Russia is nothing but a bunch of hot air on this issue.

BUT, it's a grave concern if you start playing the "what if" game. The Russians are in terrible economy, and are struggling to find out who they really are without their commisars and daily pravda-driven programming. However, they will all well remember their identiy as the antagonists against the Unites States , and they might even long nostalgically for those forgotten days -- and try to recapture them.

We offered to put our missle defence system on Soviet soil?

You are right, I was not aware of that.

Bush offered to give them the technology, they would have had to build it, pay for it and maintain it. He offered when he first started as President and has repeated the offer several times now.

What a stupid stupid stupid thing for the President to offer. I understand why he would but man that is stupid.

Oh where are the Cossacks when you need them?

Russia is about to get a spanking from the Yello.... err Golden Horde.

It's a lot of postering by the Russians. The fact is, in spite of the oil money they have rolling in, they are in a lot of trouble. They're population is aging rapidly. They have to look tough for the older crowd who grew up during the cold war struggle with the west. It's familiar to them, they like seeing the parades again, etc. But, fundamentally a lot has and continues to changes and there is more cooperation than the headlines would have you believe. Money and trade flows between them and us quite easily.

Forum List

Back