Russia claims US sent weapons to Georgia

Russia says US may have sent weapons to Georgia - Yahoo! News

Yeah, we need to sit on the sidelines and let the 800 pound monster devour the 98 pound foe. Russia is beginning to sound more and more like the old USSR.

No doubt my friend. The best part about this is many people in the U.S. think Georgia started this war, lol. Listen to what the heads of Russia AKA USSR said. They have zero intent of leaving and will not stop until Georgia is theirs again! Mark my words.

Europe is so afraid that Russia will cut off their energy supplies, that might allow that to happen. bush needs to look Putin in his eyes again and tell us what he sees now.

He is returning to his old KGB ways.

Huh.. everyone knows we've been giving military aid to Georgia... Hell there were images of the russians towing away american humvees... the marines asked for them back btw...

Russia says US may have sent weapons to Georgia - Yahoo! News

Yeah, we need to sit on the sidelines and let the 800 pound monster devour the 98 pound foe. Russia is beginning to sound more and more like the old USSR.

Or to put it more accurately, it is acting just the way it acted when it was Czarist Russia AND Communist Russia.

Doesn't matter what kind of government is in place, any form of government, operating under any type of economy, can be imperialistic.

You know, I don't ever recall a vote being held to see if we should ally with freaking Georgia. You know we have the Monroe Doctrine with Roosevelt Corollary; why expect Russia to do any less with the areas around them?

I guess with bush and Darth Vader in the House, you never can tell who they might invade next. But Putin is eyeing the revitalization of the old USSR. If Georgia is easily taken back, then on to the next victim! Europe will do nothing for fear of Russian reprisal.

Russian pop culture may be invoking Soviet Era symbology but this is only because it is percieved of as a time of greatness. Currently they are headed towards a Spanish or Italian model of Fascism in my lofty estimation. I'm not sure exactly what the power relationship is between Putin and Medyedev but I am confident that Russia is going to be an oligarchy. Dictatorship shouldn't be discounted though.

After Yeltsin took over an oligarchy of business interest developed, Putin has done much in restructuring this to his ends according to what I've read. I find the Karate, Fishing, and Tiger Hunting episodes disturbing though.

Why not? The rest of the world just ignored it when we invaded Iraq.

It isn't the United States job to police the world. This conflict between Georgia and Russia is primarily a territorial despute, and that makes it none of our business. Also, doing something that could potentially start a war with Russia... pretty much the dumbest thing the United States could do right now.

Why not? The rest of the world just ignored it when we invaded Iraq.

It isn't the United States job to police the world. This conflict between Georgia and Russia is primarily a territorial despute, and that makes it none of our business. Also, doing something that could potentially start a war with Russia... pretty much the dumbest thing the United States could do right now.

The most sensible post in this thread.

There's going to be a major world war before the end of this decade. You can just feel it in the air these days.

That is what is worrying me too, the US is a world power with a powerfull military and a breaking economy, this was a very volatile combination for the majority of history. I can only hope that it wont go down with a bang.

Having lived the vast majority of my life under the treat of all out nuclear war, with only some brief respite from it for the last decade or so, all I can say is that by developing ABM systems we actually are destabilizing the balance of MAD which I suspect kept us from having a nuclear war weith the Soviets for at least thirty years.

The management of this nation seems to WANT us to go back into a cold war posture.

Sadly, now that we are also embroiled in this mess against most of the Arab and Islamic worlds, reviving cold war tensions seems like not such a good idea.

Were I in charge, I think I might be trying to forge a more perfect alliance with Russia instead of baiting the bear by ringing that fearful nation with ABM systems.

Last edited:
That is what is worrying me too, the US is a world power with a powerfull military and a breaking economy, this was a very volatile combination for the majority of history. I can only hope that it wont go down with a bang.

Feels like Rome, circa 100 AD these days.

Having lived the vast majority of my life under the treat of all out nuclear war, with only some brief respite from it for the last decade or so, all I can say is that by developing ABM systems we actually are destabilizing the balance of MAD which I suspect kept us from having a nuclear war weith the Soviets for at least thirty years.

The management of this nation seems to WANT us to go back into a cold war posture.

Sadly, now that we are also embroiled in this mess against most of the Arab and Islamic worlds, reviving cold war tensions seems like not such a good idea.

Were I in charge, I think I might be trying to forge a more perfect alliance with Russia instead of baiting the bear by ringing that fearful nation with ABM systems.
Russia's ALWAYS been a geopolitical strategic location. Those in charge would love nothing more than to be able to cancel them out of the equation.

The assumption that Russia intends to reinstate the borders of the USSR thru military force is idiotic. It's almost as stupid as assuming that the USSR was dominated by Russia.

Stalin was GEORGIAN, all other Soviet leaders were Ukrainian. Russia is by far the wealthiest, in terms of natural resources than any other country in the region, and possibly any other country in the world. (Which is why they've been invaded so many times)

The Soviets exploited Russia more than anyone else and used Russia's wealth to subsidize all the less wealthy Soviet satellites. The only one of them that is economically worth anything is the Ukraine, which has the one thing that Russia lacks - Food .Now that these countries no longer get these subsidies and are being subjected to market prices for Russian resources, they're whining and crying about it.

Russia is finally emerging as an economic giant. They don't need to use the military to control a empire they have capitalism to establish it.

Right now, as America seems to be sinking into economic obscurity, screwed by the very capitalists that have benefited the most. China and Russia are emerging as economic giants. There only desparate mechanism, to try to reinstate the worlds order to the way it was, by recreating a cold war by aggrevating Russia.

Forum List

Back