Russia and the United States should be allies.

...PUshing up against their borders is the opposite of maintaining distance...
I was speaking of political distance; not geographical distance... as in, not seeking political unity at present.

...Being willing to fight a war over West Germany made sense. Being treaty bound to fight a war over Estonia, does not.
Being willing to go to war to defend any part of Europe is a big part of our political and military strategy.

Reducing the footprint of the former Warsaw Pact by bringing former members under the NATO umbrella is a related tactic.

We did not force Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to join NATO.

They asked us.

They are very afraid of coming under the Russian heel again.

That, too, tells us something about whether the Russians are 'ready for prime time' in partnering with Western Democracies.

We could ask the Crimeans, but it's a little too late for that now.

We could ask the Ukrainians, but they're half-the country they used to be.

That tells us even more about whether the Russians are ready for prime time in partnering with Western Democracies.

The various Russian troll-farms making sorties onto Western message boards really need to rethink their approach. :21:

Last edited:
...PUshing up against their borders is the opposite of maintaining distance...
I was speaking of political distance; not geographical distance... as in, not seeking political unity at present.

...Being willing to fight a war over West Germany made sense. Being treaty bound to fight a war over Estonia, does not.
Being willing to go to war to defend any part of Europe is a big part of our political and military strategy.

Reducing the footprint of the former Warsaw Pact by bringing former members under the NATO umbrella is a related tactic.

We did not force Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to join NATO.

They asked us.

They are very afraid of coming under the Russian heel again.

That, too, tells us something about whether the Russians are 'ready for prime time' in partnering with Western Democracies.

We could ask the Crimeans, but it's a little too late for that now.

We could ask the Ukrainians, but they're half-the country they used to be.

That tells us even more about whether the Russians are ready for prime time in partnering with Western Democracies.

The various Russian troll-farms making sorties onto Western message boards really need to rethink their approach. :21:

If the Soviets had managed to flip, one way or another, West Germany back in the day, it would have been a threat to the Global Balance of Power.

If Russia manages to flip Estonia, it will not.

Not worth a war. Especially not worth a world war, with a nuclear power. This is a bad idea, and a bad alliance.

Russia should be an American ally against the Democrats.
America's most dangerous adversary and the biggest military threat to Europe is very enthusiastic about republicans, the reasons are self explanatory.

Because some republicans have noticed that the Cold War is over, and want to stop living in the past.

I posted the reasons for the more stupid among US.

America's most dangerous adversary and the biggest military threat to Europe is very enthusiastic about republicans, the reasons are self explanatory.

Because some republicans have noticed that the Cold War is over, and want to stop living in the past.

For Putin the cold war never ended, of that there is no doubt. The shit he tells Russians is not the same shit he tells you.

For Putin the cold war never ended, of that there is no doubt. The shit he tells Russians is not the same shit he tells you.

Putin knows that there are no more Russian tanks in Germany.

Putin knows that him taking the Crimea, is not the same as Stalin taking half of Europe.

Putin knows that him taking the Crimea, is not the same as Stalin taking half of Europe.
Stalin started somewhere Putin sees him as a personal hero.

Stalin started with an united Russian Empire, something that Putin knows he can never have, and probably wouldn't want even if he could.

Stalin started with an united Russian Empire, something that Putin knows he can never have, and probably wouldn't want even if he could.
Why do you care to defend the indefensible? I can understand you people denying Russian collusion by your president but why defend Putin? The guy is a monster.

Why do you care to defend the indefensible? I can understand you people denying Russian collusion by your president but why defend Putin? The guy is a monster.

I'm pointing out how relatively weak Putin's Russia is.

How do you interpret that as a "Defense"?

Because you are arguing with me. You have no skin in this game at all unless you are one of our Russian lurkers.

Because you are arguing with me. You have no skin in this game at all unless you are one of our Russian lurkers.

Yes, I am against needless conflict and war, and thus end up arguing with many who disagree.

But none of that could sanely be called "Defending" Putin.

So, why did you claim it was?

Yes, I am against needless conflict and war, and thus end up arguing with many who disagree.

But none of that could sanely be called "Defending" Putin.

So, why did you claim it was?
How many times does a guy have to punch you before you punch back? Seriously? He will keep on fucking with us as long as we just take it.

Russia is a snake oil salesman. We don't need to be in conflict with them but at the same time we don't need to be allies. That's akin to being friends with the school jackass just because.

Forum List

Back