Russell Tice NSA: Bush spied on journalists

• Banned
TICE: Well, there's sort of two avenues to look at this. What I just mentioned was sort of the low-tech dragnet look at this. The things that I specifically were involved with were more on the high-tech side. And try to envision, you know, the dragnets are out there, collecting all the fish and then ferreting out what they may. And my technical angle was to try to harpoon fish from an airplane kind of thing. So it's two separate worlds.

But in the world that I was in, as to not harpoon the wrong people in some -- in one of the operations that I was in, we looked at organizations just supposedly so that we would not target them. So that we knew where they were, so as not to have a problem with them.

Now, what I was finding out, though, is that the collection on those organizations was 24/7, and you know, 365 days a year, and it made no sense. And that's -- I started to investigate that. That's about the time when they came after me, to fire me. But an organization that was collected on were U.S. news organizations and reporters and journalists.

OLBERMANN: To what purpose? I mean, is there a file somewhere full of every e-mail sent by all the reporters at the "New York Times?" Is there a recording somewhere of every conversation I had with my little nephew in upstate New York? Is it like that?

TICE: If it was involved in this specific avenue of collection, it would be everything. Yes. It would be everything.

EVERYTHING!

They spied on journalists privite lives.

Do you understand WHY a government would do that?

TICE: Well, there's sort of two avenues to look at this. What I just mentioned was sort of the low-tech dragnet look at this. The things that I specifically were involved with were more on the high-tech side. And try to envision, you know, the dragnets are out there, collecting all the fish and then ferreting out what they may. And my technical angle was to try to harpoon fish from an airplane kind of thing. So it's two separate worlds.

But in the world that I was in, as to not harpoon the wrong people in some -- in one of the operations that I was in, we looked at organizations just supposedly so that we would not target them. So that we knew where they were, so as not to have a problem with them.

Now, what I was finding out, though, is that the collection on those organizations was 24/7, and you know, 365 days a year, and it made no sense. And that's -- I started to investigate that. That's about the time when they came after me, to fire me. But an organization that was collected on were U.S. news organizations and reporters and journalists.

OLBERMANN: To what purpose? I mean, is there a file somewhere full of every e-mail sent by all the reporters at the "New York Times?" Is there a recording somewhere of every conversation I had with my little nephew in upstate New York? Is it like that?

TICE: If it was involved in this specific avenue of collection, it would be everything. Yes. It would be everything.

EVERYTHING!

They spied on journalists privite lives.

Do you understand WHY a government would do that?
He only posites a suspicion:

If it was involved in this specific avenue of collection

There's no there there...

Spying on journalists? Why of course, although it wasn't spying. Journalists receive tips and info all the time from terrorists. And because of confidentiality rules, they aren't required to inform any law enforcement even when the info they received could be considered relevant. So, if the government was trying to pick up terrorist information, keeping an eye on journalists and news people actually makes a lot of sense.

All this guy does is state that they took massive numbers of conversations from journalists and mined them for specific information. It doesn't mean anyone was directly spying on certain individuals without cause.

This is actually funny, and you want this to be prosecuted? LMAO!!!!

Spying on journalists? Why of course, although it wasn't spying. Journalists receive tips and info all the time from terrorists. And because of confidentiality rules, they aren't required to inform any law enforcement even when the info they received could be considered relevant. So, if the government was trying to pick up terrorist information, keeping an eye on journalists and news people actually makes a lot of sense.

All this guy does is state that they took massive numbers of conversations from journalists and mined them for specific information. It doesn't mean anyone was directly spying on certain individuals without cause.

Classic TM hysteria---she'll be back soon to tell us all how stupid we are for not understanding how dangerous all this "harpooning fish from airplanes" is.:lol:

• Banned
Russell D. Tice (born 1961) is a former intelligence analyst for the U.S. Air Force, Office of Naval Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and National Security Agency (NSA). During his nearly 20 year career with various United States government agencies, he conducted intelligence missions related to the Kosovo War, Afghanistan, the USS Cole bombing in Yemen, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Tice

Hahaaha the fear is palpable from you people.

Tell me how you are so sure there is no there there?

• Banned
because its what you WANT to think huh?

what a pack of partisan hacks you are.

Russell D. Tice (born 1961) is a former intelligence analyst for the U.S. Air Force, Office of Naval Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and National Security Agency (NSA). During his nearly 20 year career with various United States government agencies, he conducted intelligence missions related to the Kosovo War, Afghanistan, the USS Cole bombing in Yemen, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Russ Tice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"If"

IF?????

If we investigate we will know the truth huh?

That is just what is going to happen folks.

Here you go folks.

The response to whistle blowers who tried to warn the American people about the Bush admins law breaking.

I bet they will be just a skepticle of anyone saying anything about the Obama admin huh?

Hahahahaahah yeah right.

Exactly! If you think about what a journalist does for a living, it isn't much different than what a spy does for a living. In an electronic sense, if you could know everything that all the journalist (spies) learned, and have that knowledge to datamine, then you have a HUGE force multiplier available for you spy agencies.

Actually this kind of spying has been going on for 50 years. Help destroy the planet and Google the Eshalon Project. Clinton was real big on this, but liberals didn't seem to mind so much back then... :eusa_whistle:

Russ Tice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking as someone who's entire family, out to aunts and uncles worked for the Agency, this guy should minimally be imprisoned for revealing state secrets and damaging the national security.

In the old days, they had a method of dealing with guys like this at NSA.

I have been right about so much that I hardly think you can call being right partisanism.

The fact that so many of you refuse to believe what has been said about the Bush admin even when the evidence is overwhleming is true partisanism.

I have to agree with TM. Our Intelligence services should only be watching people they have a reason to watch. If an individual journalist,or anyone else,is communicating with criminals, by all means, watch them (after obtaining a warrant of course). But watching someone because you think that they may hear something later is IMHO un-American.

Forum List

Back