Nov 22, 2003
DNC could do worse:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/mar05/314080.asp

Southern strategy for Feingold
Sounding like a candidate, he seeks resonance with Alabama voters
By CRAIG GILBERT
[email protected]
Posted: March 30, 2005
Montgomery, Ala. - What is Russ Feingold doing deep in the heart of Bush Country?

Running for president?

"I really don't know, and I'm not going to worry about it," Feingold told the Montgomery Advertiser on Tuesday when the newspaper asked him about 2008.

Mission of Diplomacy

Sen. Russ Feingold (right) discusses local history while he and his wife Mary Feingold tour historic downtown Montgomery, Ala., Tuesday on a bus.

Quotable
There’s a real concern the (national) Democratic Party doesn’t get it when it comes to how to communicate and even sort of identify the right priorities.

- Sen. Russ Feingold,
On what he’s hearing in the South

Plunging into a national debate over his party's future?

"The Democratic Party hasn't been doing too well. Maybe we ought to listen to people in other states," Feingold said at a "listening session" he held Tuesday in - of all places - George W. Bush's top congressional district in the country, the Alabama 6th. (The president got 78% of the vote there.)

Wisconsin's junior senator spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday driving around this politically forbidding "red state," meeting with liberal and conservative Democrats, Bush voters, local dignitaries and a curious Alabama media, enjoying the improbability of it all.

"When was the last time some Democrat from another part of the country went into Greenville, Alabama, and just said, 'What's the deal here?' " Feingold said before his trip.

You could look at Feingold's Alabama adventure as an extended conversation between North and South over the current woes and future direction of the Democratic Party.

Or you could view it as a guy who might run for president taking his style and message out for an early road test...

He stands by his views and principles... rather see him than hilary or kerry again... (and i like him because he's helped me on darfur related stuff)

Forum List

Back