Rush

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Rush is arguabley the most underrated band in Rock History. How many people here know Rush? Whats your favorite song/ album? I'd have to say anything from The Spirit of Radio.

I'm not sure I'd call them underrated... but they are considered "classic rock" nowadays and not played much on non-classic rock stations. But I do like their music.

Semper Fi said:
Rush is arguabley the most underrated band in Rock History. How many people here know Rush? Whats your favorite song/ album? I'd have to say anything from The Spirit of Radio.
You're probably right...... and Geddy Lee is probably one of the best rock bassists of all time

Time Stands Still is their best song .. Only cause Amy Mann is singing in the song. Other than that Rush Bites ! :smoke:

I respect Neil Peart an awful lot - not just for his drumming, which is great, of course - but for something he did. He put out a video a few years back called "A Work in Progress". In it, he said that he was always astounded by the flow and musicality exhibited by the great jazz drummers, and that these were qualities his own playing lacked. He went on to say that he was taking lessons from a New Orleans jazz great, and proceeded - with great enthusiasm - to show some new setup tricks and stick techniques he was learning.

Now, here's a guy who's on top of the world - one of the most respected and instantly recognizable drummers on earth. Yet, he bluntly and unashamedly admits that he can learn and improve by listening to other drummers outside his sphere. What love for his music! What passion for excellence! What complete and utter disregard for the trappings and pretensions of fame and pride.

Even if I didn't like Rush, I'd say Neil Peart is a cool guy.

He went on to say that he was taking lessons from a New Orleans jazz great, and proceeded - with great enthusiasm - to show some new setup tricks and stick techniques he was learning.

Now, here's a guy who's on top of the world - one of the most respected and instantly recognizable drummers on earth. Yet, he bluntly and unashamedly admits that he can learn and improve by listening to other drummers outside his sphere. What love for his music! What passion for excellence! What complete and utter disregard for the trappings and pretensions of fame and pride.

While he was touring with Ozzy, Randy Rhodes would often take lessons from local classical guitarists. I couldn't even imagine having Randy Rhodes come up and ask me to give him a guitar lesson!

queenie74 said:
Time Stands Still is their best song .. Only cause Amy Mann is singing in the song.

Yes, definately one of the best. Lately I've been listening to the last few tracks of The Spirit of Radio. You know, Subdivisions, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, The Big Money, all of those, before I go to bed, just lay back and enjoy. Highly reccommended.

Sir Evil said:
If your grooving at bed time then ya gotta have Hemispheres! :thup:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and look for it. The only song(out of the three) I recognize is The Trees, which is a great song, like all of them. My dad actually saw Rush in concert (Im sure alot of the older folks did, too) man, if I could see them, I think I'd have a really good time.

Howard Ungerleider is one of the most gifted lighting designers of our time...if you have seen a Rush show LIVE, then you will understand what I mean. (I've known Howard for years....)

Rush...good band...solid, and Canadian, eh!

Hmm.. Their music really didn't stand the test of time with me... Loved'm in the early 80's.. By the end of the 80's, I'd stopped listening to them completely.

I've seen parts of the video "Exit...Stage Left" also a live album (the audience sings with Colser to the Heart, its cool), and all three members looked like regular people, especially Neal Peart (spelling?) with his short hair and t-shirt.

Forum List

Back