Rush to be inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I put up "Space Trucking" in another thread the other day. DP were so much more than just Smoke on the Water.

they influenced probably every hard rock band that came after them who are already in the Hall......a piece from Wikipedia.....

Deep Purple are cited, along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, as pioneers of hard rock and heavy metal.The group have influenced a number of rock bands, including Metallica, Queen, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Pantera, Bon Jovi, Rush,Motörhead, as well as many New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Def Leppard. Iron Maiden's bassist and primary songwriter, Steve Harris, states that the band's "heaviness" was inspired by "Black Sabbath and Deep Purple with a bit of Zeppelin thrown in." Lead vocalist of Def Leppard, Joe Elliot, has stated, "In 1971, there were only three bands that mattered, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple." In 2000, Deep Purple were ranked number 22 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock" programme. In 2011, they received the Innovator Award at the 2011 Classic Rock Awards in London. A Rolling Stone readers' poll in 2012 ranked Made in Japan the sixth best live album of all time.
Prior to October 2012, Deep Purple had not been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but were nominated for induction in 2013. Despite being the public's 2nd pick in the Rock Hall fans’ ballot, which had over half a million votes, they were not inducted by the Rock Hall committee. Geddy Lee of Rush, commenting on the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees to Rolling Stone; "To be frank, I am disappointed that Deep Purple is not included in that group. Certainly Heart and Rush would not sound the way we sound without Deep Purple." There have been criticisms in the past over Deep Purple not having been inducted. Toto guitarist Steve Lukather commented, "they put Patti Smith in there but not Deep Purple? What's the first song every kid learns how to play? ["Smoke On The Water"]...And they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? ...the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has lost its cool because of the glaring omissions." Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash expressed his surprise and disagreement for the non-induction of Deep Purple; "The list of people who haven’t even been nominated is mind-boggling..(the) big one for me is Deep Purple. How could you not induct Deep Purple?". When asked what band he'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich lobbied for Deep Purple.

I don't get it at all. I just don't get it. All I can figure is that the boards they have are so
PC now that they don't give a shit. Go figure.

ETA: its a sad day when morons decide to play politics in music over music.
they should change the name to the "Music Hall Of Fame"......because it is getting loaded with many non Rock and Roll Acts....and many who either dont deserve to be there or do....but not yet....the place is a joke....

they influenced probably every hard rock band that came after them who are already in the Hall......a piece from Wikipedia.....

Deep Purple are cited, along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, as pioneers of hard rock and heavy metal.The group have influenced a number of rock bands, including Metallica, Queen, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Pantera, Bon Jovi, Rush,Motörhead, as well as many New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Def Leppard. Iron Maiden's bassist and primary songwriter, Steve Harris, states that the band's "heaviness" was inspired by "Black Sabbath and Deep Purple with a bit of Zeppelin thrown in." Lead vocalist of Def Leppard, Joe Elliot, has stated, "In 1971, there were only three bands that mattered, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple." In 2000, Deep Purple were ranked number 22 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock" programme. In 2011, they received the Innovator Award at the 2011 Classic Rock Awards in London. A Rolling Stone readers' poll in 2012 ranked Made in Japan the sixth best live album of all time.
Prior to October 2012, Deep Purple had not been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but were nominated for induction in 2013. Despite being the public's 2nd pick in the Rock Hall fans’ ballot, which had over half a million votes, they were not inducted by the Rock Hall committee. Geddy Lee of Rush, commenting on the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees to Rolling Stone; "To be frank, I am disappointed that Deep Purple is not included in that group. Certainly Heart and Rush would not sound the way we sound without Deep Purple." There have been criticisms in the past over Deep Purple not having been inducted. Toto guitarist Steve Lukather commented, "they put Patti Smith in there but not Deep Purple? What's the first song every kid learns how to play? ["Smoke On The Water"]...And they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? ...the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has lost its cool because of the glaring omissions." Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash expressed his surprise and disagreement for the non-induction of Deep Purple; "The list of people who haven’t even been nominated is mind-boggling..(the) big one for me is Deep Purple. How could you not induct Deep Purple?". When asked what band he'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich lobbied for Deep Purple.

I don't get it at all. I just don't get it. All I can figure is that the boards they have are so

they should change the name to the "Music Hall Of Fame"......because it is getting loaded with many non Rock and Roll Acts....and many who either dont deserve to be there or do....but not yet....the place is a joke....
\

I know what next?

Celine Dione doing a cover of Foolin and getting her ass paid for to this so called Hall of Fame?

Jethro Tull

Benefit

Teacher Teacher

My 2 cents. Man oh man I rock to it to this day.

I have every album ever made by Tull and Ian Anderson. Saw them live last year at the Greek. Still kickin' ass after 40 years!. Martin Barre is one the most underrated guitarist in history....

Yup! I saw them as the headliner in Tampa Stadium in 1975, with Robin Trower as opening act. They were excellent. I'm pretty sure it was the "Too Old To Rock And Roll, Too Young To Die" tour - still one of my favorite albums by them. Love "Quizz Kid" and "Crazed Institution".

Anybody who likes Trower AND Vanelli has to be ok. I'm beginning like you. omg :D Just we'll never talk politics ever again. :eusa_angel:

I put up "Space Trucking" in another thread the other day. DP were so much more than just Smoke on the Water.

There is nothing politically incorrect about Deep Purple. Politics has nothing to do with it. Jan Wenner being a prick and a control freak have everything to do with it.

I have every album ever made by Tull and Ian Anderson. Saw them live last year at the Greek. Still kickin' ass after 40 years!. Martin Barre is one the most underrated guitarist in history....

Yup! I saw them as the headliner in Tampa Stadium in 1975, with Robin Trower as opening act. They were excellent. I'm pretty sure it was the "Too Old To Rock And Roll, Too Young To Die" tour - still one of my favorite albums by them. Love "Quizz Kid" and "Crazed Institution".

Anybody who likes Trower AND Vanelli has to be ok. I'm beginning like you. omg :D Just we'll never talk politics ever again. :eusa_angel:
Are you going to the Gino concert in Atlanta?

There is nothing politically incorrect about Deep Purple. Politics has nothing to do with it. Jan Wenner being a prick and a control freak have everything to do with it.

the other day a guy at work showed me an article he found by some "Music" critic who gave the reasons WHY Deep Purple does not rate the Hall ......in a nutshell he was saying they had a few hits.....but outside of that.....what have they done?....and this guy is supposed to know Music....:eusa_eh:

Oh I know there is nothing PC incorrect with the band. :lol: It's morons on boards who control shit who have no right to have this clout.

He sounds like a supreme power tripper. I fired off an email to my ex over

this crap.

Maybe I should jump back into the fray again. I love being just a happy camper that gardens now. But on the other hand......

Ron sent me this. It's still in wiki. You could have peeled me off the ceiling over this travesty.

On March 14, 2007, two days after that year's induction ceremony, Roger Friedman of Fox News published an article claiming that The Dave Clark Five should have been the fifth inductee, as they had more votes than inductee Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. The article went on to say "Jann Wenner used a technicality about the day votes were due in. In reality, The Dave Clark Five got six more votes than Grandmaster Flash. But he felt we couldn't go another year without a rap act

Says it all n'est pas? And it's disgusting.

I'm maxxed with cash going to a breeder for a black and tan coonhound. This pups mine in spring.

Flying into Atlanta would break the bank. Puppies I love are expensive. :eusa_angel:I can't find any Canadian dates for Gino.

I've already been on quizzillion websites for him on ticket sales. I would kill to see him live. Never have had the chance to see him live. I could hit Winnipeg or Fargo. That would be doable. Is that a word? :lol: I'm pulling a Palin here.

I'm maxxed with cash going to a breeder for a black and tan coonhound. This pups mine in spring.

Flying into Atlanta would break the bank. Puppies I love are expensive. :eusa_angel:I can't find any Canadian dates for Gino.

I've already been on quizzillion websites for him on ticket sales. I would kill to see him live. Never have had the chance to see him live. I could hit Winnipeg or Fargo. That would be doable. Is that a word? :lol: I'm pulling a Palin here.
He plays Canada and Europe a lot more frequently than the U.S. I'll give you a heads up next time he is near that area.

He plays Canada and Europe a lot more frequently than the U.S. I'll give you a heads up next time he is near that area.

Gino's on my bucket list. Oh cripes, that doesn't sound good does it?:lol: There are few and far between that I've missed, but he's one of them.

My ex saw him a few years back and just said the live show is jaw dropping crazy. Ron's a player and he said the band was unreal. So let me know. Ron freaked out over the bass player.

Last edited:

Gino's on my bucket list. Oh cripes, that doesn't sound good does it?:lol: There are few and far between that I've missed, but he's one of them.

My ex saw him a few years back and just said the live show is jaw dropping crazy. Ron's a player and he said the band was unreal. So let me know. Ron freaked out over the bass player.

If it was a few years ago, it was probably Alain Caron:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uin7Clzs4]Alain Caron - Turkey Loose On The Kit - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkOYGlI-zoo]Alain caron bass solo slap (Slam the Clown) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uin7Clzs4]Alain Caron - Turkey Loose On The Kit - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkOYGlI-zoo]Alain caron bass solo slap (Slam the Clown) - YouTube[/ame]

Ron just confirmed it. Oh my gosh oh my gosh. My ex is a major player. He adores this man.

Well. I hope Gino gets close. You know how much I admire him. I'm ready to kill if I can get to a stadium with him.

Ron just confirmed it. Oh my gosh oh my gosh. My ex is a major player. He adores this man.

Well. I hope Gino gets close. You know how much I admire him. I'm ready to kill if I can get to a stadium with him.
That was an awesome band, which also featured Venezuelan jazz pianist Otmaro Ruiz. I saw them in Jacksonville, FL in May, 1999, and hung out with the band back at the Omni hotel, where they, Gino, and a bunch of us fans from all over the world were all staying. Gino hung for a bit but didn't like to talk after singing, so he left after about 45 minutes. But the rest of us closed down the hotel bar, then moved on up to Otmaro's room until around 3am. It was a memorable night.

Tinydancer - Do you remember the Canadian rock band 'Toronto'? I thought they had great potential, but fizzled. I really liked their female vocalist, Holly Woods.

This is a great radio rock song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ny-p7AnBL8]Toronto: Your Daddy Don't Know - YouTube[/ame]

Tinydancer - Do you remember the Canadian rock band 'Toronto'? I thought they had great potential, but fizzled. I really liked their female vocalist, Holly Woods.

Toronto: Your Daddy Don't Know - YouTube

omg yes I know Toronto...NOT THAT WAY....lol...good girls though. A lot of what was happening at the time was really bad management. Holly was to die for. Oh cripes I could tell you a tale that would make you sob from those days. There was so much potential. Oh boy. I don't know where to begin.

Tinydancer - Do you remember the Canadian rock band 'Toronto'? I thought they had great potential, but fizzled. I really liked their female vocalist, Holly Woods. Holly was just so awesome. What was happening at the time and the bands didn't know it was this battle between agencies. Oh cripes. I think Toronto was with Platinum at the time.

This is a great radio rock song: Great band. So much potential.

How much do you know about my world.? It's nice talking to someone who doesn't think I'm a braggart but just some asshole that's a canuck.

I am glad I have run into you.

Last edited:

How much do you know about my world.? I love you to death.

I

It's nice talking to someone who doesn't think I'm a braggart but just some asshole that's a canuck.

I am glad I have run into you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyY919XgbJ8]Manitoba - YouTube[/ame]

A song way back. Your daddy don't know.

My favorite though. Carol. They probably saved my soul way back. Bless her soul. Bless you darlin.

Forum List

Back