Rush Limbaugh’s Ratings Are In a State Of Complete Collapse

Holy crap. Herman Cain took Boortz's audience from 6 million to 1.5 in less than a year.

Maybe the division pimps on BOTH sides will have to find real fucking jobs.

The country would be a lot better off without them.

Or maybe you can dislodge you head from your ass and speak of things you know about because you obviously dont know shit about Rush Limbaugh

Actually HD Radio gives AM the quality of FM, and FM the quality of a CD.

No denying that.

"HD" radio enjoyed a certain vogue and is viable in major markets. It not only produces great audio; it can support several programming streams on the very same station.

With AM there are interference issues, particularly at night. FM, too, but miniscule by comparison to AM.

What early adopting stations quickly found is that the big equipment investment required and the monthly licensing fees to iBiquity (owner of the patents - iBiquity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) don't see quick payback through increased advertising revenue. That initial receiver offerings were very spendy held back audience numbers so it became a chicken-and-egg situation. Listeners reluctant to buy digital radios until there were more digital stations; AM and FM stations reluctant to buy expensive equipment and start making monthly payments until there were more listeners. Kind of like how department stores that wanted to sell radios in the early days found themselves putting radio stations on the air (at a loss usually) in order to entice people to buy radios.

Actually "HD" in radio has no real technical meaning! It's meant to get you thinking "High Definition" but that's a marketing term, not a technical one.

Really digital radio as authorized in The U.S. is IBOC (In Band - On Channel). There are other systems worldwide, the best known of them is "DRM" - Digitale Radio Mondiale. You can get strong arguments over which is best but DRM seems to be strongest in terms of countries adopting the standard.

None of that has anything to do with whether talk formats will fade; if the public tires of talk and wants music then there's a good chance that "HD" might see a resurgence as the quality is good. Of course the public would have to be willing to spend the money for a good quality receiver and that's historically not likely.

One unintended consequence, should digital become more common (or should it be forced down everyone's throat by government fiat) is that a lot of "local voices" will be lost. Smaller stations will be unable to afford the equipment and monthly fees so will either shift to ethnic or all religion-all-the time (mostly subsidized by various churches) or will simply shut down.

It's called "evolution" and it ain't always kind and gentle.

Or maybe you can dislodge you head from your ass and speak of things you know about because you obviously dont know shit about Rush Limbaugh

I listen to him when I can, at least a few hours per week.

Please explain.

I listen to him when I can, at least a few hours per week.

Please explain.

You have to understand they attack Libs for not listening to their MessiahRushie while also claiming that mostly Libs listen to him and CON$ only find out what he said by reading Libs posting about him. :cuckoo:

The immeasurable profundity of your abject ignorance never ceases to astound me.

Talk radio was around long before Blush Limblob was even born. This guy for example was notorious and cultivated an audience way bigger than Limblob ever had, in the 1930s:

Father_Coughlin.jpg

This guy was big too... started his talk show in 1955:

220px-CarlMcIntire.JPG

KMOX and KABC went all-talk format as long ago as 1960 -- 54 years ago. A decade later many more started following suit as AM radio lost music listeners to the superior fidelity of FM.
Where I grew up there was a successful talk radio station on FM, which started doing that around 1975. All of this was long before Lush Rimjob.

As for your complete xenophobic ignorance that can't tell the difference, the Gabor sisters were Hungarian, while Arianna Huffington is Greek. Not even vaguely related.
"They all look alike to me", right? :lmao:

Finally, it's spelled Zsa Zsa.

Be sure to alert me when next you grace these pages with your sterling wisdom.
LOL. Most ironic post seen here yet. You should do a little homework before chastising someone's ignorance. The "Fairness Doctrine" is what kept political talk shows from radio.

A Brief History Of the Fairness Doctrine - TIME

"The doctrine stayed in effect, and was enforced until FCC chairman Mark Fowler began rolling it back during Reagan's second term — despite complaints from some in the Administration that it was all that kept broadcast journalists from thoroughly lambasting Reagan's policies on air. In 1987, the FCC panel repealed the Fairness Doctrine altogether with a 4-0 vote."

Rush took advantage of it and aired his first show in August 1988. You libs made him filthy stinking rich with crap like this. Keep feeding your nemesis, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

he still has more money than idiot guno will every have no doubt.

it's hilarious really; the Left is always whining about the success of right-wing radio. Limbaugh probably has more money than he can spend for the rest of his life

libs are crybaby losers and petty

Google Limbaugh Ratings you get pages of Lib articles declaring Rush dead and then the Wiki site that shows Rush far and away Number 1 Talk radio show.

LOL

Libs channeling Herr Goebbels

Talk radio has a long history. There were local talk shows in many markets in the 1950s but it was a specialty format, not something you found up and down the entire dial. Local issues were the primary asset perhaps because the nation was much different. JFK was screwing anything in skirts. Jackie was spending weekends in Newport with her latest. Everybody in the press knew it but the prevailing attitude was that none of it was important - and it really wasn't. Not until LBJ (I heard "Little Bitty Jesus" for the first time on talk radio) did the national scene become a viable topic but, even then, on local radio with local hosts.

BTW, I'm defining "talk shows" as those structured to take calls from listeners. If you want to work with a more broad definition then Google these: Joe Pine. Long John Nebel. Gene Shepherd. That'll get you back to 1948.

A whole different kind of talk radio until the demise of the constipating "Fairness Doctrine" - then the gloves came off.

At some point talk radio will fall out of fashion. The smarter hosts will take the money and run. Some will linger too long. I give you Don Imus, once #1, now #9 and dwindling.

The biggest impediment to the demise of talk radio is that nobody has yet figured out what would replace it. Various music formats have come and gone. Mostly moved over to FM stations where potential quality is far better than AM (as we know it today) can offer and where stereo actually works. Never mind that many of the radios the mass audience is using (other than in vehicles) produces sound quality about equal to a tin ear trumpet.

You can see some inroads in major markets where "all sports" formats are growing like moss on your cheap asphalt roof. But the other route is ethnic. Show me a major market without at least two "Hispanic" formats. Check out places like Baghdad-by-The-Bay where there are competing formats in each of several Chinese dialects and some languages so obscure as to be unidentifiable in most of the country.

Yes, Rush Limbaugh's vogue will run out. Naturally run out. What's comic is the great screeching flock of liberals trying so hard to silence him with no regard to what their own success will inevitably to do with all freedom of speech, including boards like this.

Rage on. libs.....you know I'm right and you just can't stand it!

Uh-- what did you say here that was political? That line on the end that thinks Liberals, creators of the First Amendment, would want to "silence" somebody? Again... saying so doesn't make it so.

I'd take issue with your definition -- there's no reason a talk show would feature call-ins; that's a call-in show (and technically eliminates Limblob anyway), which goes back to Barry Gray in the mid-'40s... and when you mention 1948 you somehow left out Alan Courtney. But "talk radio" in the form of a demagogue ranting on the air goes back considerably before that to Charles Coughlin, whose rhetoric for his time (the '30s) rivaled Slutgate.

And this show goes back to 1935:

398px-Atownmeet.jpg

Clearly all this went on the air way before Limblob was a sty in his daddy's eye.

Btw it's Jean Shepherd. I grew up on him. Now there was a talker.

That reminds me -- meteor scatter should peak at dawn.

Last edited:
The immeasurable profundity of your abject ignorance never ceases to astound me.

Talk radio was around long before Blush Limblob was even born. This guy for example was notorious and cultivated an audience way bigger than Limblob ever had, in the 1930s:

Father_Coughlin.jpg

220px-CarlMcIntire.JPG

KMOX and KABC went all-talk format as long ago as 1960 -- 54 years ago. A decade later many more started following suit as AM radio lost music listeners to the superior fidelity of FM.
Where I grew up there was a successful talk radio station on FM, which started doing that around 1975. All of this was long before Lush Rimjob.

As for your complete xenophobic ignorance that can't tell the difference, the Gabor sisters were Hungarian, while Arianna Huffington is Greek. Not even vaguely related.

LOL. Most ironic post seen here yet. You should do a little homework before chastising someone's ignorance. The "Fairness Doctrine" is what kept political talk shows from radio.

"The doctrine stayed in effect, and was enforced until FCC chairman Mark Fowler began rolling it back during Reagan's second term — despite complaints from some in the Administration that it was all that kept broadcast journalists from thoroughly lambasting Reagan's policies on air. In 1987, the FCC panel repealed the Fairness Doctrine altogether with a 4-0 vote."

Rush took advantage of it and aired his first show in August 1988. You libs made him filthy stinking rich with crap like this. Keep feeding your nemesis, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

You are a true moron. And I say that because there are many pretenders here.

See those guys in the pictures above? BOTH of them had political talk radio shows, as did others, back to 1926. Yes, Reagan's Mark Fowler did gut the FD in the '80s but it never muzzled anybody from delivering opinion anyway; it required a balance when an aggrieved party asked for time to respond ---- in other words exactly what we do here when poster A gets to respond back to what poster B just said. So you're engaging in the internet version of the Fairness Doctrine right here yet you don't understand what it is.

Matter of fact when Edward R. Murrow put his exposé of Joe McCarthy on TV in 1954, McCarthy requested, under the Fairness Doctrine, air time to respond, and got it. They gave him the whole show to respond however he wanted. Is it your contention that McCarthy should not have been allowed to respond then? You want monologue?

Better stick to what you know, Homer. Lip-syncing Sean Hannity's bullshit isn't gonna fly here. Why not? Because you'll get a response, that's why. :ack-1:

Last edited:

Father_Coughlin.jpg

220px-CarlMcIntire.JPG

See those guys in the pictures above? BOTH of them had political talk radio shows, as did others, back to 1926. Yes, Reagan's Mark Fowler did gut the FD in the '80s but it never muzzled anybody from delivering opinion anyway; it required a balance when an aggrieved party asked for time to respond ---- in other words exactly what we do here when poster A gets to respond back to what poster B just said. So you're engaging in the internet version of the Fairness Doctrine right here yet you don't understand what it is.

Matter of fact when Edward R. Murrow put his exposé of Joe McCarthy on TV in 1954, McCarthy requested, under the Fairness Doctrine, air time to respond, and got it. They gave him the whole show to respond however he wanted. Is it your contention that McCarthy should not have been allowed to respond then? You want monologue?

Better stick to what you know, Homer. Lip-syncing Sean Hannity's bullshit isn't gonna fly here. Why not? Because you'll get a response, that's why. :ack-1:

Ed Morrow was way ahead of his time. He was a politically aware reporter who attacked (only) republicans and he was careful not to ruffle the feathers of the FDR or the Truman administrations. McCarthy wasn't important until the liberal media turned him into a target. He didn't even head up a senate committee. Democrats were in charge of HUAC but Morrow didn't seem interested in the real issues. He was only interested in a soft targets and ratings. The liberal media absolutely controlled all information available to the public for most of the 20th century. Cronkite was a crooked old liberal who managed to become "the most trusted person in America" simply by reading scripts on TV. The radical left is angry and frustrated over fair and balanced media and they will never stop hating Limbaugh or Fox.

Ed Morrow was way ahead of his time. He was a politically aware reporter who attacked (only) republicans and he was careful not to ruffle the feathers of the FDR or the Truman administrations. McCarthy wasn't important until the liberal media turned him into a target. He didn't even head up a senate committee. Democrats were in charge of HUAC but Morrow didn't seem interested in the real issues. He was only interested in a soft targets and ratings. The liberal media absolutely controlled all information available to the public for most of the 20th century. Cronkite was a crooked old liberal who managed to become "the most trusted person in America" simply by reading scripts on TV. The radical left is angry and frustrated over fair and balanced media and they will never stop hating Limbaugh or Fox.

Complete butthurt deflection-whining. :eusa_boohoo:
This was (and still is) an illustration of how the Fairness Doctrine worked. Like it or lump it. And change your fucking diaper.

Uh-- what did you say here that was political? That line on the end that thinks Liberals, creators of the First Amendment, would want to "silence" somebody? Again... saying so doesn't make it so.

I'd take issue with your definition -- there's no reason a talk show would feature call-ins; that's a call-in show (and technically eliminates Limblob anyway), which goes back to Barry Gray in the mid-'40s... and when you mention 1948 you somehow left out Alan Courtney. But "talk radio" in the form of a demagogue ranting on the air goes back considerably before that to Charles Coughlin, whose rhetoric for his time (the '30s) rivaled Slutgate.

And this show goes back to 1935:

398px-Atownmeet.jpg

Clearly all this went on the air way before Limblob was a sty in his daddy's eye.

Btw it's Jean Shepherd. I grew up on him. Now there was a talker.

That reminds me -- meteor scatter should peak at dawn.

I chose to begin with the programs structured to take listener calls. If you want to take "talk" back to the earliest, then go to Providence, R.I. and Mowry Lowe who dropped a microphone cord out of an upper floor window of The Shepard Company department store in 1931 and did live "Sidewalk Backtalk" with people on the street. No tape (or other) delay in those days. Interestingly, Mowry Lowe managed several stations later in life and never again would have anything to do with talk formats of any variety. His final venture in radio before he died was WLKW, "The Sound of Beautiful Music". DEFINITELY no talk there!

Similar things were going on nationwide. The earliest of which I am vaguely aware involved the experimental station at "Round Hill" in Dartmouth, Massachusetts - WMAF, 1923. The owner, "Colonel" Edward H.R. Green encouraged people to come to the park surrounding his mansion where the station was located and occasionally would involve some of them in broadcasts particularly on Sundays.

So "talk" in the most general sense does go back a long way.

As to Gene vs. Jean, you are correct. I heard his show regularly in the 1950s; never "read" it, so was blissfully unaware of how he spelled his name. I should have noticed from the credits on the movie done from one of his "bits" but didn't. Mea whatever.

My favourite, though, was Long John Nebel (no phone calls, just guests) and the great program he did with John G. Fuller's book, "The Day of St. Anthony's Fire".

It remains that the first prominent talker who dealt with call-in participants, probably (I won't say definitely) was Joe Pine - he of "go gargle with razor blades" notoriety. Wasn't long after he got fired up that local talk shows started popping up all over the place.

As to the misnomered "Fairness Doctrine" - believe as you will. From the perspective of many who work or worked in commercial radio (and TV) It's the anti-free speech device that went away and which liberals keep trying to bring back from the grave to muzzle anybody who says things that they don't like - without regard to such inhibiting factors as truth.

Now anyone is free to hold a different opinion, much as they might choose to believe in a New Messiah who closed Guantanamo and made the whole world love America because He apologized for so much so gracefully. Personal beliefs are wonderful so please do not feel ashamed of any.

Last edited:
Limbaugh's claim that he single handedly saved AM radio from becoming nothing but police calls is accurate. Limbaugh created talk radio twenty years ago and liberals have been falling by the wayside ever since. I wonder how that ZaZa Gabor impersonator Huffington babe would do on talk radio. Relax lefties, wait for next month's figures before you pronounce Limbaugh dead.
I agree that Rimbaugh IS responsible for the assent of RW radio as we know it today.

But take a look at this:
Top 50 Earning Blogs!!! | Online Income Teacher

Holy crap. Herman Cain took Boortz's audience from 6 million to 1.5 in less than a year.
That seems to answer the question of the thread about why Conservatives/Republicans don't and haven't elected many minorities.

I listened to the show on the radio at the time...it's local to me.

Boortz groomed the audience for Cain, had him on almost daily for segments at a time...for a long time. Preparing the audience for him.

Guess even that didn't work.

Boortz tried, but with his known racist rants, what did he expect?

Complete butthurt deflection-whining. :eusa_boohoo:
This was (and still is) an illustration of how the Fairness Doctrine worked. Like it or lump it. And change your fucking diaper.

You almost gotta laugh about the radical left's apparent fixation with a certain body part and their belief that words like "butthurt" and phrases like "change your f'ing diaper" in their union educated minds translates to a political argument. Don't low information lefties realize that they are pushovers in the world of political discussion?

Again!!!!!

At least once a year Limbaugh ' s ratings are in complete collapse. It's like an annual liberal period.

Again!!!!!

At least once a year Limbaugh ' s ratings are in complete collapse. It's like an annual liberal period.

No kidding, every year we hear of the demise of right wing radio, last year it was Hannity and Limbaugh and they would be gone by fall, so fall has come and gone.

Then Ed comes along and tries to deceive everyone by giving us rating for fall 2009 and May of 2014 to show how rapidly Rush has lost his audience. Claiming one Pre-Fluke ( by several years) and his ratings today.

It is all smoke and mirrors, I expect Rush to finally Burn out however his run of almost 30 years is incredible. Tough to hold the ratings lock that he has had for this long.

Forum List

Back