Rush Limbaugh is cooked: The stunning fall of the right’s angriest bloviator

Have people actually been listening to Blimpbaugh since he exposed himself as a greedy, self-promoting drug addict back in the 90s?

Thinking the same thing, he peaked about 20 years ago and has been slowly fading away. Quite telling people still defend a drug addict like Dimbaugh, I guess they also defend all the drug addicts that are in prison. They all just need help yeah.

Cons need heroes. They can't cut it in Hollywood, you don't see any con-media types banding together with millions of dollars to start an 'alternative Hollywood' like they started an alternative AARP etc.

Because cons do not have nor will they ever have the creativity of the progressives in Hollywood. All they can do is deride them, they can't compete with them on any level. All the con actors are the B actors, the also rans.
He's still at the top and likely will be until he decides to retire. People that hate him will ensure that.

Over 20 years of predicting his demise and they are still wrong. Many it will be any year now! Lol!

Actually, LImbaugh's been dead since Sandra Fluke forced him to apologize.

When was the last time he made news?

When was the last time anyone really cared what he said.

Sandra Fluke was the last time he made news. He lost that encounter. Now his advertisers are gone, Clearchannel is desperately trying to prop up his show.

Believe what you need to believe, one day you will be right. Dummy.

I asked a pretty simple question. When was the last time that Limbaugh said something that made news?

Used to be Republicans cowered in fear of this guy. Not so much anymore.

Ask your fellow nut jobs. They start threads about him all the time . I don't watch or listen to him.

The guy that revolutionized radio and set records that will never be broken will leave the air one day. And you dummies will go on about you idiots got him off the air by your boycotts. It just took you almost 30 years to do it. Lol! You and your ilk are nuts.
I agree. Rush leaves under his own power, at a time and under circumstances of his choosing.

Eliminationists like Limpbag personalize and polarize anything they don't like into Emmanual Goldstein figures that are nothing more than dehumanized two-dimensional figures who all fit some preconceived strawman mold.
October 16, 2008

RUSH: Like I said in the last hour, if I'd have heard one more time from the Fox All-Stars about how cool Obama was -- David Brooks said Obama is a mountain. He's a rain forest. You get up every morning and the mountain is just there. I didn't see cool. I don't see elegant. I see somebody not even really human.

October 9, 2008

RUSH: I call Obama a squirrel. What's a squirrel? Nothing but a rat with better PR.

Remember, the Nazis depicted the Jews as rats!

Dehumanization | Beyond Intractability

By

Michelle Maiese

July 2003

The Psychology of Dehumanization

Dehumanization is actually an extension of a less intense process of developing an "enemy image" of the opponent. During the course of protracted conflict, feelings of anger, fear, and distrust shape the way that the parties perceive each other. Adversarial attitudes and perceptions develop and parties begin to attribute negative traits to their opponent. They may come to view the opponent as an evil enemy, deficient in moral virtue, or as a dangerous, warlike monster.

An enemy image is a negative stereotype through which the opposing group is viewed as evil, in contrast to one's own side, which is seen as good. Such images can stem from a desire for group identity and a need to contrast the distinctive attributes and virtues of one's own group with the vices of the "outside" group.[4] In some cases, evil-ruler enemy images form. While ordinary group members are regarded as neutral, or perhaps even innocent, their leaders are viewed as hideous monsters.[5]

Enemy images are usually black and white. The negative actions of one's opponent are thought to reflect their fundamental evil nature, traits, or motives.[6] One's own faults, as well as the values and motivations behind the actions of one's opponent, are usually discounted, denied, or ignored. It becomes difficult to empathize or see where one's opponent is coming from. Meaningful communication is unlikely, and it becomes difficult to perceive any common ground.

Once formed, enemy images tend to resist change, and serve to perpetuate and intensify the conflict. Because the adversary has come to be viewed as a "diabolical enemy," the conflict is framed as a war between good and evil.[7] Once the parties have framed the conflict in this way, their positions become more rigid. In some cases, zero-sum thinking develops as parties come to believe that they must either secure their own victory, or face defeat. New goals to punish or destroy the opponent arise, and in some cases more militant leadership comes into power.

Enemy images are accentuated, according to psychologists, by the process of "projection," in which people "project" their own faults onto their opponents. This means that people or groups who tend to be aggressive or selfish are likely to attribute those traits to their opponents, but not to themselves. This improves one's own self-image and increases group cohesion, but it also escalates the conflict and makes it easier to dehumanize the other side.

Deindividuation facilitates dehumanization as well. This is the psychological process whereby a person is seen as a member of a category or group rather than as an individual. Because people who are deindividuated seem less than fully human, they are viewed as less protected by social norms against aggression than those who are individuated.[8] It then becomes easier to rationalize contentious moves or severe actions taken against one's opponents.

Dangers of Dehumanization

While deindividuation and the formation of enemy images are very common, they form a dangerous process that becomes especially damaging when it reaches the level of dehumanization.

Once certain groups are stigmatized as evil, morally inferior, and not fully human, the persecution of those groups becomes more psychologically acceptable. Restraints against aggression and violence begin to disappear. Not surprisingly, dehumanization increases the likelihood of violence and may cause a conflict to escalate out of control. Once a violence break over has occurred, it may seem even more acceptable for people to do things that they would have regarded as morally unthinkable before.

Parties may come to believe that destruction of the other side is necessary, and pursue an overwhelming victory that will cause one's opponent to simply disappear. This sort of into-the-sea framing can cause lasting damage to relationships between the conflicting parties, making it more difficult to solve their underlying problems and leading to the loss of more innocent lives.

Indeed, dehumanization often paves the way for human rights violations, war crimes, and genocide.

With Limpbag it goes back to calling Chelsea Clinton the "White House dog" and telling that black caller "take that bone out of your nose and call me back", if not even earlier. Clearly it paves the way for an acrimonious atmosphere of completely polarizing pseudo-rhetoric that serves to shut down, rather than serve, any kind of discourse. And very arguably Limpblob has been the catalyst for that degradation of the American discourse that has evolved over the last 25 years.

All demonstrating once again the maxim that "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public". In Limpdick's own words, his job is "to make you mad" so that he can "charge confiscatory ad rates". Rare statements of candor.
The hate is strong for a voice on the radio.

You do realize that Limbaugh is the most successful radio in history.

[emoji38] uh, nnnnno, not hardly. Not even if you define "successfull" as "how many pairs of ears can you snag to sell commercials to". Charles Coughlin had an estimated 30 million listeners in his day. Paul Harvey, 25. Howard Stern more recently, 20 million.

The Fibber McGee and Mollys and the Lone Rangers and the Amos 'n' Andys are not easy to put numbers on but clearly they all had broad, rather than partisan, appeal.

Radio didn't begin in 1990 son. :rofl:

Didn't say it did, did I. AM radio was in trouble and was not getting the audiences that is was used to after the Golden Age of Radio ended on September 30, 1962. AM radio was dead until 1988 and talk radio caught on. Larry King was pretty big in the late 70's on. KGO had a talk format that was real good up until a few years back and they went to news radio.

I am very happy that Limbaugh did well because it helped usher in sports talk radio, which I love The Herd, The Dan Patrick Show, The Dan Lebatard Show with Stu Gotz and Mike and Mike. Pretty irritated that The Dan Patrick Show airs the same time as The Dan Lebatard Show with Stu Gotz. Those are probably the best two shows.

John Fogerty was on the Dan Patrick Show and did a live version of Centerfield. The guy still has the voice.
Sports radio is one thing that FOX does well. ESPN has become increasingly maudlin, scandal obsessed and politically correct since Disney bought it. Dan Patrick was better when he had Dibble, and then he left ESPN.

Cowherd seemed to always be making weird non sequitur analogies, like giraffes have long necks, therefore don't bunt with 1 out and a guy on 2nd base. Okay, not that, but totally non sequitur. He got fired for saying Dominicans are uneducated and got another job somewhere.

On Sunday if I'm travelling, FOX radio just gives me the scores and stats. No Bob Costas or that saccharine Jeremy Schaap trying to pull my heartstrings over some social issue.

No opinion on that. Personally I don't have a use for "sports talk" unless it's describing live action. Beyond that it just comes off as so much filler, full of gossip and speculation. :dunno: But obviously Limblow has as much to do with its existence as a format, as he does to do with Disney radio.

Actual radio "success" I would have to define by results: if you're doing news, are your listeners informed? If you're playing music, are they entertained and enriched? Actual numbers tend to work in the opposite direction from that; if your music is less entertaining/enriching because you play the same 20 vapid records over and over and over, you'll get higher numbers. Quality down means quantity up, and vice versa. If you put "The War of the Worlds" on the air and a million people believe Martians are attacking, that's an indication of "success" -- not because it's a million people; but because they believed it. That tells you it was realistic.

And of course the only reason rating numbers exist at all is to set advertising rates; "X number of people are listening to my station, that's why I'm charging you more for ads than that station is". They're a measure of attention, which you can either earn through aesthetic quality, or you can spike them junk-food style by going on the air and barking "slut! slut! slut". Ultimately aspiring for numbers is a vast game of public manipulation, the only question being which broadcaster can manipulate more public to sell soap.

Limblob represents to radio what WWE represents to television: a vast circus of fake violence, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. The fact that X number of people are paying attention is irrelevant. Gallagher drew audiences by smashing coconuts on stage. Highway drivers all slow down to rubberneck at the wreck. Doesn't take much deep thought to attract attention.

Ratings are down for all political talk radio. But there's been a lot of consolidation in the radio business (and media in general). Premier Networks is a behemoth that can force local stations to take all of their syndicated shows if they take any. If the internet remains freeish, that business model is doomed.

On the day that Rush's goose truly is cooked, can you really call it a "stunning fall"? The guy has been on the radio since 1984, broadcasting nationally since 1988. That's a long shelf life for a radio show. Are we going to say that 40 year old Tim Hudson had a stunning fall because he just retired?

Helloooo...Joey! JoeyB Dolezal are you still here? Joey!

Gosh I really wanted to run into my old pal in this dormant thread. I'm pretty sure he'd remember how nice it was of me to point out all his lies about...well, about all sorts of stuff regarding Rush's radio advertisers. It was a bit of a bouncing ball thing because he'd often sort of change what he was lying about, I guess thinking no one would notice, and off he'd go with a new one.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to see if he was here is because I just heard an interesting ad on Rush's show. It was for Shari's Berries. The same Shari's Berries that pulled their ads in the aftermath of the Flake flap, as did some others, but all of whose ad spots were resold to other companies eager to tap into Rush's vast audience.

Some time later Rush commented that some of the companies that had bailed on him had expressed desires to resume doing business, one being Shari's. Thanks, but no thanks was his polite on-air response as I recall.

So it appears Rush just played with Shari's for a while, but, nice guy that he is, finally relented and gave them access to his lucrative listeners once again. Hopefully at his special Confiscatory Plus rate!

Well, if anyone sees JoeyB please give him the good news. Thanks.

Have people actually been listening to Blimpbaugh since he exposed himself as a greedy, self-promoting drug addict back in the 90s?

Thinking the same thing, he peaked about 20 years ago and has been slowly fading away. Quite telling people still defend a drug addict like Dimbaugh, I guess they also defend all the drug addicts that are in prison. They all just need help yeah.

Cons need heroes. They can't cut it in Hollywood, you don't see any con-media types banding together with millions of dollars to start an 'alternative Hollywood' like they started an alternative AARP etc.

Because cons do not have nor will they ever have the creativity of the progressives in Hollywood. All they can do is deride them, they can't compete with them on any level. All the con actors are the B actors, the also rans.
He's still at the top and likely will be until he decides to retire. People that hate him will ensure that.

Who hates him?

I feel sorry for him, just like his audience. It is a daily circle jerk where all involved whine "life is miserable and it's all someone else's fault."

That is what conservative talk radio and their audience is and does. Every single day over and over.

I used to liberal and conservative talk radio years ago. Mostly liberal radio complained about conservatives. Conservative radio complained about liberals.

No one on either side complained about their miserable life.

I used to liberal and conservative talk radio years ago. Mostly liberal radio complained about conservatives. Conservative radio complained about liberals.

Liberal radio is best listened to during nap time....

Liberal radio is the FM dial. The creative people that make music. Conservatives are good at whining on the AM dial, and oh are they good at it.

Liberal radio is the FM dial. The creative people that make music. Conservatives are good at whining on the AM dial, and oh are they good at it.
I've work for a PBS college station,KUAF in Fayetteville at the University...But again, that low toned, stoned communication skill, can be most drab.....Plus, Imma not gonna invest a lot of emotion in the political/social revolution that is occurring...I'm like neutral, cause I see a lot of issues that are a waste of using air to vocalize them.......I spent my spare time working at jobs through college, so i was into that scene man..Plus I am a sociologist by nature, and I like to watch(towel please, spilt the bong), evaluating that humans have never changed, basically, it the same arguments that has been going on , probably before written history.....Gheese guys, rip a dub and drop all that heavy shit man...

Last edited:

I've work for a PBS college station,KUAF in Fayetteville at the University...But again, that low toned, stoned communication skill, can be most drab.....Plus, Imma not gonna invest a lot of emotion in the political/social revolution is occurring...I'm like neutral, cause I see a lot of issues that are a waste of using air to vocalize them.......I spent my spare time working at jobs through college, so i was into that scene man..Plus I am a sociologist by nature, and I like to watch(towel please, spilt the bong), evaluating that humans have never changed, basically, it the same arguments that has been going on , probably before written history.....Gheese guys, rip a dub and drop all that heavy shit man...
You worked for PBS...now that is a surprise.

I've work for a PBS college station,KUAF in Fayetteville at the University...But again, that low toned, stoned communication skill, can be most drab.....Plus, Imma not gonna invest a lot of emotion in the political/social revolution is occurring...I'm like neutral, cause I see a lot of issues that are a waste of using air to vocalize them.......I spent my spare time working at jobs through college, so i was into that scene man..Plus I am a sociologist by nature, and I like to watch(towel please, spilt the bong), evaluating that humans have never changed, basically, it the same arguments that has been going on , probably before written history.....Gheese guys, rip a dub and drop all that heavy shit man...
I was classical music jock......I didn't even get to do the hourly recording of power generation output logs.....

Not possible. KUAF is a radio station. It's owned by the university.
PBS is television.

PBS is television.
Sorry NPR...
HomerSimpson36.gif

You are sharp Pogo, you would be tough to have as a Dad to steal beers from...

PBS is television.
Sorry NPR...
HomerSimpson36.gif

You are sharp Pogo, you would be tough to have as a Dad to steal beers from...

Eh - I've been involved with radio all my life.

Huuuuge difference though, radio versus TV. Radio is an inherently superior medium, and always will be.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Surely you know how lame you sounded right there, lol.

Rush, in fact, spends an inordinate amount of time bragging about how wonderful his life is.

I certainly wouldn't mind switching places!

These limp wristed twats have been declaring IT'S THE END!! IT'S THE END!! for Rush for 25 freaking years.

Give it a rest already, you just sound like the whining pussies you are.

Forum List

Back