Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Nanny government is growing.

Now they don't like kids doing chores at the family farms. I guess they'd rather the farmers hire a bunch of illegal aliens so the kids can hang around in the house and play video games.

Farmers care about their children and they don't put them in danger. While accidents happen now and then, it's no different with city kids. 4-H and FFA have been around for decades and have taught kids a lot. Now the government thinks it's own quickie course would be superior to the years of real training and experience the kids get out of the other non-government programs. No government program has ever, and will never, teach anyone about the value of hard work.

What's next, all children will be banned from cleaning their rooms, feeding the family pet or mowing the lawn? Let's just teach them that work is a bad thing.

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

Read more: Child Labor Laws | Farming | Department of Labor | The Daily Caller

there is already a thread on this. In which, I pointed out that the proposed rules allow for an exception for those who work on farms owned by their parents... and that it only applies to 'employed' persons anyway, not family members doing 'chores'.

Question: Is it true that children as young as 12 years old can work for hire on a farm with written parental consent?

The FLSA does permit youth 12 and 13 years of age to be employed as hired farm workers on farms that also employ their parents or with written permission from the parents. These youth may only be employed outside of school hours and may not perform any work that the Secretary of Labor has declared to be hazardous. The FLSA also permits children under the age of 12 to be employed on small farms that are not subject to the Act’s minimum wage provisions when the parent has given written permission for the child to work on that small farm. Again, these youth may only be employed outside of school hours and may not perform any work that the Secretary of Labor has declared to be hazardous.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Child Labor - Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to Amend the Child Labor in Agriculture Regulations - FAQs

What a shame. Little Johnny can't drive a farm tractor. These rules are much more lax than they are for any other industry.

Still, a Fauxrageous story. Simply put. It's not true. Like Conservative said.......

Carry on.......

I remember the 2003 Northeast blackout. The power outage was the largest to date.

The grids failed because the energy corporations were able to kill the regulatory order demanding that they upgrade to a grid which could handle a full summer load > high AC use, etc. The energy corporations did not want to assume the necessary debt required to update their systems. They didn't want to hurt their stock valuations. The grid failed - and since business owns Washington - they got bailed out, leaving the tax payer holding the bag. [People who think business behaves rationally and re-invests to give people a better product are crazy. Business works with government to maximize what they can squeeze from the taxpayer. The point of becoming a big business is to have the financial leverage to lobby Washington for subsidies, regulatory favors, and bailouts. The point of the private sector is to create an environment of heads we win, tails the tax payer loses. [Do Republican voters understand lobbying?] People don't get it. There is no government. Big business funds elections, staffs government, and writes its own regulations. And then they fund FOX News to promote the myth that government runs the country. Reagan replaced government with business. Goldman Sachs runs the federal reserve, Big Pharma/Oil/Weapons owns the GOP, and Wall Streets owns both parties]

FYI: Something funny happened during the blackout. A group of rural folks living in the backwoods near the Catskills complained that the federal government didn't respond quickly enough.

A lesson was learned. FOX News teaches these morons to hate government so they can cut the need for it - and thus cut taxes on the wealthy. But here is the problem with the rural folks the OP speaks of. When something goes wrong, they scream the loudest. They need government, yet they hate it.

"Get your government hands off my medicare"

(god help us. These morons vote)

Last edited:
48 hours is my mandate.

But not a worry because I am a survivalist. Nothing cute and not a code word.

I didn't type this post

Last edited:
I remember the 2003 Northeast blackout. The power outage was the largest to date.

The grids failed because the energy corporations were able to kill the regulatory order demanding that they upgrade to a grid which could handle a full summer load > high AC use, etc. The energy corporations did not want to assume the necessary debt required to update their systems. They didn't want to hurt their stock valuations. The grid failed - and since business owns Washington - they got bailed out, leaving the tax payer holding the bag. [People who think business behaves rationally and re-invests to give people a better product are crazy. Business works with government to maximize what they can squeeze from the taxpayer. The point of becoming a big business is to have the financial leverage to lobby Washington for subsidies, regulatory favors, and bailouts. The point of the private sector is to create an environment of heads we win, tails the tax payer loses. [Do Republican voters understand lobbying?] People don't get it. There is no government. Big business funds elections, staffs government, and writes its own regulations. And then they fund FOX News to promote the myth that government runs the country. Reagan replaced government with business. Goldman Sachs runs the federal reserve, Big Pharma/Oil/Weapons owns the GOP, and Wall Streets owns both parties]

FYI: Something funny happened during the blackout. A group of rural folks living in the backwoods near the Catskills complained that the federal government didn't respond quickly enough.

A lesson was learned. FOX News teaches these morons to hate government so they can cut the need for it - and thus cut taxes on the wealthy. But here is the problem with the rural folks the OP speaks of. When something goes wrong, they scream the loudest. They need government, yet they hate it.

When the "issue" happened I was already off the grid. You are a liar. Mega liar if I must say.

Big liar though. You disgust me liar.

I know how to pump water. And I did for all my neighbours in the black out.

I didn't type this post

Last edited:

wtf does any of that have to do with the OP???

Seriously you don't think the effect on farm workers pressed to the mother fucking MAX to try to run the family farm?

Oh fuck me. Oh shit I'm going out to the back yard and fucking screaming when it comes to this.

I didn't type this post

Last edited:
Seriously you don't think the effect on farm workers pressed to the mother fucking MAX to try to run the family farm?

Oh fuck me. Oh shit I'm going out to the back yard and fucking screaming when it comes to this.

I didn't type this post
Yeah, I bet you'd like someone to fuck you. Maybe in your next life.

Forum List

Back