rural and urban voting patterns

Redz

Nov 1, 2004
An Emerald Isle
why is it that dense population areas like the the east and west coast tend to vote democrat, whereas the rural centre of the country votes republican.
why do you think this happens?

Redz said:
why is it that dense population areas like the the east and west coast tend to vote democrat, whereas the rural centre of the country votes republican.

in california the further from the coast you get the less blue the state becomes

Redz said:

Simple. Illegal and legal immigration.

The interior of the country is made up mostly of established citizens whereas the coasts are made up of legal and illegal immigrants.

manu1959 said:
in california the further from the coast you get the less blue the state becomes

in california, the further you get away from LA and SF the redder the counties of California become.

Here is a map of the 2000 results by each individual county.

electmap.jpg

You should read "O Rotten Gotham Sliding into The Behavioral Sink" it explains alot about human behavior.

Tom Wolfe is the author.

Redz said:

Rural areas are largely populated by people who are self-reliant and want as little governmental interference in their lives as possible.

Welfare recipients tend to conglomerate in metropolitan areas because social services are easier to access there.

People in urban centers rely on government more during their daily lives. Everything from law enforcement to mass transit and infrastructure to entertainment facilites. They see government as a means of achieving and maintaining the civic environment they seek. Therefore city dwellers tend to vote for Democrats because Democrats are champions of "gimme" and social programs and providers of ever increasing governmental services (as well as interference).

Folks from rural areas neither need nor want government telling them how to live their lives. And for security, most of them own more than one shotgun.

Anyway, that's my theory.

Merlin1047 said:
Rural areas are largely populated by people who are self-reliant and want as little governmental interference in their lives as possible.

Welfare recipients tend to conglomerate in metropolitan areas because social services are easier to access there.

People in urban centers rely on government more during their daily lives. Everything from law enforcement to mass transit and infrastructure to entertainment facilites. They see government as a means of achieving and maintaining the civic environment they seek. Therefore city dwellers tend to vote for Democrats because Democrats are champions of "gimme" and social programs and providers of ever increasing governmental services (as well as interference).

Folks from rural areas neither need nor want government telling them how to live their lives. And for security, most of them own more than one shotgun.

Anyway, that's my theory.

and a great theory it is !!

Redz said:
Herd mentality in the urban areas vs Individual self sufficiency in the rural areas.

CRAP! I screwed up. I live in Seattle and voted almost all Rep. At least we stand a chance of getting a Rep govna for the first time in over 20 years.

Flying Duck said:
CRAP! I screwed up. I live in Seattle and voted almost all Rep. At least we stand a chance of getting a Rep govna for the first time in over 20 years.

Maybe you should change your screen name to "Daffy Duck"!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

freeandfun1 said:
Here is a map of the 2000 results by each individual county.

electmap.jpg

One more note.

Notice the band of blue counties that starts in west central Georgia, extends across Alabama and into Mississippi. That is referred to as the "Black Belt". Originally the name was derived from the color and quality of the soil in that area which made it ideal for agriculture. Today, that name sticks mainly because the preponderance of the people living in that region are blacks.

Also note the blue band along the Mississippi River. Same demographic, same support for the Democrats.

I'm not intending this as a racist comment, but the facts are that black voters support Democrats by something on the order of 80 to 90 percent.

So this map is also indicative to a large degree of the areas of the country where the preponderance of voters are minorities who vote Democrat.

Merlin1047 said:
One more note.

Notice the band of blue counties that starts in west central Georgia, extends across Alabama and into Mississippi. That is referred to as the "Black Belt". Originally the name was derived from the color and quality of the soil in that area which made it ideal for agriculture. Today, that name sticks mainly because the preponderance of the people living in that region are blacks.

Also note the blue band along the Mississippi River. Same demographic, same support for the Democrats.

I'm not intending this as a racist comment, but the facts are that black voters support Democrats by something on the order of 80 to 90 percent.

So this map is also indicative to a large degree of the areas of the country where the preponderance of voters are minorities who vote Democrat.

Exactly. Look at the Texas/Mexico border. The blue areas are areas where there are cities like Laredo and Brownsville......

Forum List

Back